Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

is it safe to ride Tokai by oneself at the moment?

If you park at the entrance?

I am aware of the issue near the American embassy, but plan to start at the gate.

Thanks

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is it safe to ride Tokai by oneself at the moment?

If you park at the entrance?

I am aware of the issue near the American embassy, but plan to start at the gate.

Thanks

Yes!

I'm there at least once a week on my own. the most unsafe thing is riding like an idiot where i can end myself and no-one to find me...

Just seen the video footage 

At least 6 people wondering around after the cyclist went down. It looks like they hooked his front wheel with something as the victim flipped over the bars and was knocked unconscious.

One guy ran and jumped on the bike while someone else very casually rummaged through his pockets and strolled off with his phone.

Would it be possible that they strung wire or something across the road and lifted up at the last moment?

The more I look at modern society, the more I see a Mad Max future of scavengers and predators preying on productive people, eventually leaving a wasteland where nobody can survive. This is from both a social and environmental perspective. The utopia of humankind progressing and evolving higher and higher civilization simply doesn't seem very likely at the moment.

Not on this godforsaken continent at least...

Not on this godforsaken continent at least...

I don't often or easily get despondent, but holy ****, recently the world is getting to me.............I think I seriously need a few weeks in the bundu (Covid killed the Paris plans)!

Thieves have no scruples.

One of my relatives committed suicide. He went to a secluded spot in his car and shot himself. When his body was eventually discovered thieves had stripped him and taken wallet, gun and phone.

Another friend and his son were killed in a single vehicle accident. When their bodies were found o thieves had stripped the bodies and stolen everything they could out of the wrecked car. 

Similar thing happened a few years ago to a cousin of mine.  He got killed in a car accident somewhere between JHB and Vereeniging.  Theives stole his wallet with ID and all other valuables.  Police got to the scene and could not identify the body.  Family reported him missing and after searching all hospitals and morgues between JHB and Vereeniging they finally managed to find his body in a morgue.  Took about three days.

I don't often or easily get despondent, but holy ****, recently the world is getting to me.............I think I seriously need a few weeks in the bundu (Covid killed the Paris plans)!

covid fatigue... same with me... i need a mtb trip to Europe again!!!

but... more i need sometime off from work... MEH!

covid fatigue... same with me... i need a mtb trip to Europe again!!!

but... more i need sometime off from work... MEH!

I have had to cancel two trips to Europe this year to visit my daughter.

At least I only have 4 more days of work until my leave starts. And I am in my Somerset West apartment for two weeks and our road bikes arrive tomorrow. :clap: . MTB bikes are already here.

Edited by I FLY

Similar thing happened a few years ago to a cousin of mine.  He got killed in a car accident somewhere between JHB and Vereeniging.  Theives stole his wallet with ID and all other valuables.  Police got to the scene and could not identify the body.  Family reported him missing and after searching all hospitals and morgues between JHB and Vereeniging they finally managed to find his body in a morgue.  Took about three days.

Horrible. I know this sort of stuff happens, but knowing someone did that to your loved one after they passed is just horrible.

Gympie st right next to Woodstock quarter.Not a nice part of town.Notorious gangster den

Gympie street used to be a notorious nest of drugs and criminals, but I was under the impression that it was cleaned up a good few years ago?

it has, there are still elements around or young kids think they are hardcore but not really anything to worry about between woodstock, salt river and observatory, especially the latter two. I once confronted one claiming to be an "old Woodstock gangster"...caught him stealing gate locks for the materials...he tried doing his whole blowfish routine but that all went away very fast when he saw I was not scared of him...I invited him over to come show me just how ganster he really is....and he decided to run away instead when he saw we had an audience with some of the locals. Just hot air most of them. 

it is becoming too gentrified, they have all moved on south with the cockroaches. and then you also have the old guard locals as mentioned - who don't take **** like that. Put it this way...i'd rather be caught by the police than the community watch lol

Edited by morneS555

Three or four guys jumped out from the sidewalk and tried to get me off my bike.

Seems there were at least 6 perpetrators (3x male, 3x female) on the scene.

2 initially knock down the cyclist and then you see 4 more join them from different sides of the road as they leisurely walk off.

Crazy out there.!! :(

Edited by Thomo

I will be in CT shortly and would like to know if Spaanschemat River Road, Smitswinkel, Red Hill are hot spots?

I will be in CT shortly and would like to know if Spaanschemat River Road, Smitswinkel, Red Hill are hot spots?

Spaanschemat has had numerous incidents in recent time.

Smitswinkel had an incident reported a few weeks ago but the exact intent wasn't clear as far as I can recall.

Not aware of any recent issues on Red Hill, but always on high alert when we head that way.

Join a group if you can.