Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect they threw something...well that would be my guess.

The distance between the rider and the swing you can see in the video doesn't look like he would have made contact to punch him, unfortunately the banner is blocking that part to actually see what happened.

I suspect they threw something...well that would be my guess.

The distance between the rider and the swing you can see in the video doesn't look like he would have made contact to punch him, unfortunately the banner is blocking that part to actually see what happened.

Half brick to the head? The way the rider went down he was already unconscious when he hit the tar. ******* shocking. 

Half brick to the head? The way the rider went down he was already unconscious when he hit the tar. ******* shocking. 

That would be my guess. 

If so it goes to show premeditation/intent on their part as well if he was walking around with a brick like that. 

Edited by -cK-

And then to just leave him in the road to possibly be run over by a vehicle. The lack of humanity shown is appalling.

Friend of mine had his car broken into at Meerendal this morning. Looks like it was remote jambing. WHen he got back to the parking lot it took a few attempt to get his car remote to work. They stole wallet and cell phone

Hello.

I'm visiting from Joburg and staying in Sea Point for the month. I'm quite happy riding on my own - in the short time I've been here I've been over Chappies and to Hout Bay and back for a couple of shorter rides. But I don't want to do the same route all the time. In the past I've gone up the West Coast cycle route, getting on at Marine Drive. I've done it with two male friends and once on my own, and didn't feel any apprehension. However, I read recently that it is not particularly safe, and there are areas getting out of town where vagrants sometimes attack cyclists.

I'm pretty fearless, but as a woman on my own I know I should probably be more careful. Those of you with local knowledge - will I be all right to do this route on my own or should I rather drive up to e.g. Milnerton and then get on my bike? I far prefer to ride from home, but don't want to be an idiot. The west coast route is lovely once one gets past Parden Eiland :).

Also, is it safe from a traffic point of view to go over Constantia Nek from Hout Bay? I've come down it once but that was in a very large, supported group. I remember it as being quite narrow and full of traffic. Otherwise, how does one get from this side of the mountain to the other side? Noordhoek?

Any and all route suggestions that don't involve me driving to a start point welcome!

I can't ask to join local club rides because I'm recuperating from a bad accident a few months ago and I'm very slow! No one would want me on their ride :-D.

Many thanks.

Hello.

I'm visiting from Joburg and staying in Sea Point for the month. I'm quite happy riding on my own - in the short time I've been here I've been over Chappies and to Hout Bay and back for a couple of shorter rides. But I don't want to do the same route all the time. In the past I've gone up the West Coast cycle route, getting on at Marine Drive. I've done it with two male friends and once on my own, and didn't feel any apprehension. However, I read recently that it is not particularly safe, and there are areas getting out of town where vagrants sometimes attack cyclists.

I'm pretty fearless, but as a woman on my own I know I should probably be more careful. Those of you with local knowledge - will I be all right to do this route on my own or should I rather drive up to e.g. Milnerton and then get on my bike? I far prefer to ride from home, but don't want to be an idiot. The west coast route is lovely once one gets past Parden Eiland :).

Also, is it safe from a traffic point of view to go over Constantia Nek from Hout Bay? I've come down it once but that was in a very large, supported group. I remember it as being quite narrow and full of traffic. Otherwise, how does one get from this side of the mountain to the other side? Noordhoek?

Any and all route suggestions that don't involve me driving to a start point welcome!

I can't ask to join local club rides because I'm recuperating from a bad accident a few months ago and I'm very slow! No one would want me on their ride :-D.

Many thanks.

Avoid Constantia Neck for 2 reasons, too narrow with no shoulder and big trucks and idiot drivers. the informal settlement on the Hout Bay side is a crime hot spot.

I would drive from Sea Point to Milnerton and ride the cycle path from there as far as Melkbos and back. The part through Paardeneiland is just too much of a crime hot spot to do alone.

That leaves you with riding from Sea Point over Chappies, through Fish Hoek and on to Simons Town and back. There were crime incidents recently around Black Hill, Smitswinkels, Soetwater, Ocean View and Kommetjie, so not recommended alone.

Your other route is along Main Road to and through the Southern Suburbs to get to the South Peninsula, but recently there were a few attacks in Woodstock and Wynberg, besides for the crazy traffic. This is my link to home and back and I am a bit hesitant to ride it alone nowadays, I get in the car and drive to where I can have a safer start.

did he get punched in the face ? and the woman walk like they going to the corner shop .... look like k4k lighties taking chances .. doesnt look like proper organized thugs ..

And then to just leave him in the road to possibly be run over by a vehicle. The lack of humanity shown is appalling.

Some of the people rifling through the guys stuff seem to be passerbys who are taking advantage of the situation.

And then they saunter on their way leaving him unconscious in the road.

Guttersnipes of the lowest level.

Some of the people rifling through the guys stuff seem to be passerbys who are taking advantage of the situation.

And then they saunter on their way leaving him unconscious in the road.

Guttersnipes of the lowest level.

That's how it seems to me also. I hope they find each and every one of them.

@DJR - thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Yesterday I drove to Stellenbosch and parked at a friend's farm and did Helshoogte, but it's a long way to drive every time I want to ride. Your advice is very helpful and I will heed your words. Coming from Joburg, it's easy to think that Cape Town is safe, but I know I should be careful riding on my own. 

Thanks again.

Avoid Constantia Neck for 2 reasons, too narrow with no shoulder and big trucks and idiot drivers. the informal settlement on the Hout Bay side is a crime hot spot.

I would drive from Sea Point to Milnerton and ride the cycle path from there as far as Melkbos and back. The part through Paardeneiland is just too much of a crime hot spot to do alone.

That leaves you with riding from Sea Point over Chappies, through Fish Hoek and on to Simons Town and back. There were crime incidents recently around Black Hill, Smitswinkels, Soetwater, Ocean View and Kommetjie, so not recommended alone.

Your other route is along Main Road to and through the Southern Suburbs to get to the South Peninsula, but recently there were a few attacks in Woodstock and Wynberg, besides for the crazy traffic. This is my link to home and back and I am a bit hesitant to ride it alone nowadays, I get in the car and drive to where I can have a safer start.

Same MO from last weeks Woodstock attack happened this morning at 5am. Descriptions of perpetrators matches that of the video, luckily riders got away.

Same MO from last weeks Woodstock attack happened this morning at 5am. Descriptions of perpetrators matches that of the video, luckily riders got away.

:cursing:

Where did you see/hear about that ?