Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Guys, there has been plenty of movement on this. I just cannot post any of it here as its an open case. 

I am very impressed by the police and the city that have worked so well together. 

Biggest respect to the cops that have been helping us out.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, there has been plenty of movement on this. I just cannot post any of it here as its an open case.

I am very impressed by the police and the city that have worked so well together.

Biggest respect to the cops that have been helping us out.

Good to hear.!

Hopefully it won't be too long before you can share ...

Great Stuff, social media can be a powerful tool. Had lots of stuff resolved city of cape town, some businesses etc after trying the necessary channels and then not getting results.

Let justice run its course.

Right now the main objective is

find Brendon a bike for DC

That’s discovery’s job! Hopefully the process is a little faster than the process in July.

I do have a TCR set up for our Everest in Dec

on the subject of cycling safety, last wed at 5pm i was cycling home and under Wetton Road Bridge in Wynberg i was ambushed by 4 people, and at gunpoint traded my life for my bicycle, phone and rugsack.  

on the subject of cycling safety, last wed at 5pm i was cycling home and under Wetton Road Bridge in Wynberg i was ambushed by 4 people, and at gunpoint traded my life for my bicycle, phone and rugsack.  

So sorry to hear about this! Hope you're ok and have support recovering from your traumatic experience. Keep riding if you can, we can't let them beat us. Hook up with some mates and avoid dodgy areas. See if there are commuting "busses" in your area where you can hook up with other cyclists to ride home in a convoy.

So sorry to hear about this! Hope you're ok and have support recovering from your traumatic experience. Keep riding if you can, we can't let them beat us. Hook up with some mates and avoid dodgy areas. See if there are commuting "busses" in your area where you can hook up with other cyclists to ride home in a convoy.

Thanks for the kind words.  I wont stop cycling, rather just make a lifestyle change.  Instead of doing what i really want to do - which is commute - i will wake up earlier, cycle out and back from home on a safe route, then burn the planet up faster by commuting to work in my car.  There are many people in our country much worse off than they were before Covid-19 came around.  If my stolen possessions can be generate some cash, and that cash used to buy basic necessities, then i am happy with the trade, nothwithstanding the fact the trade was done at gunpoint. 

Did yo manage to report it to the people who MAP bike-jacking incidents? Your misfortune (sorry to hear about it...) may just help others be aware, else help them to avoid the area...

Cheers

Chris

What the Hell man, sorry to hear. Where exactly? Are you referring to the bridge near Ottery?

The reality now is riding your bike on the road exposes you to hijack risk same as if you were in a vehicle, except you are a sitting duck on a bicycle with very little ability to accelerate or manoeuvre your way out of danger. Not that being hijacked in a vehicle may afford you that evasive action but at least you can probably get out of dodge if you spot them in time.

The only positive on a bike is if you hand over everything quickly you may get away relatively unscathed, other than if they pushed you off the bike at speed or with a vehicle, which may result in broken bones, serious bruising and road rash.

The ride becomes one of uncomfortable hyper vigilance. Having to treat every passerby I encounter as a potential criminal certainly takes the joy out of it.

The reality now is riding your bike on the road exposes you to hijack risk same as if you were in a vehicle, except you are a sitting duck on a bicycle with very little ability to accelerate or manoeuvre your way out of danger. Not that being hijacked in a vehicle may afford you that evasive action but at least you can probably get out of dodge if you spot them in time.

The only positive on a bike is if you hand over everything quickly you may get away relatively unscathed, other than if they pushed you off the bike at speed or with a vehicle, which may result in broken bones, serious bruising and road rash.

The ride becomes one of uncomfortable hyper vigilance. Having to treat every passerby I encounter as a potential criminal certainly takes the joy out of it.

Ja right under wetton bridge where Belper Road goes into a dead end.  While i might have had my guard down that day, i have safely passed under that bridge hundreds and hundreds of times.  Yes, hyper vigilance would be a big help. But, like wearing a covid-19 mask all the time, it is hard to maintain hyper vigilance all the time.  I certainly can't live life trying to think "security" every waking second of the day.  Not designed like that.  To coin PJ O'Rouke, "unprotected sex, open heart surgery and divorce is expensive and/or dangerous".  So is cycling in SA

• 2 weeks later...