Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

1 hour ago, NicholasT said:

Hey folks.

ill be going down for the CTCT a little early and be staying in Paternoster for a few days. Can any of you fine people tell me if this will be a safe route to do. I’ll be on a road bike BTW.

Cheers in advance.

IMG_0182.png

Reach out to Eduard that arranges the Vines and Views race in that area.  He will certainly be able to give to up to date information.  Vines and Views have an active FB page, he is also on the Hub (just cant recall his Hub name now)

Worth noting the area suffered severe flood damage in August 2023, which may have impacted some of the roads.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

This route is safe. The segment from Saldanha BACK to Vredenburg is not great if cycling with the traffic. It's best to ride on the opposite site. It's a duel carriage, and going UP the hill, there is no shoulder, but on the opposite side, it's generous. It's not far, but pretty hairy riding facing the oncoming traffic that will be +80kmh, but it's a better alternative than with traffic.

@lechatnoir Thanks for the reply….

So would something like this make more sense?

IMG_0183.png

4 minutes ago, NicholasT said:

@lechatnoir Thanks for the reply….

So would something like this make more sense?

IMG_0183.png

Also a good choice. Tar is a bit rough, but in good condition. Be sure to fill up water when you can.

I have recently moved to Tokai and started riding the different trails / routes in the area. I want to try Tokai to Newlands Forrest via Constantia Nek. Any advice or route maps for which route to ride and be safe would be very much appreciated.

My biggest concern is the route back from Newlands Forrest to Tokai. Was considering up Rhodes drive and then down Diep River trail.

7 minutes ago, lenzman said:

I have recently moved to Tokai and started riding the different trails / routes in the area. I want to try Tokai to Newlands Forrest via Constantia Nek. Any advice or route maps for which route to ride and be safe would be very much appreciated.

My biggest concern is the route back from Newlands Forrest to Tokai. Was considering up Rhodes drive and then down Diep River trail.

The green belt can take you all the way to constantia nek. Just watch out for dog walkers and their little landmines. https://www.trailforks.com/region/constantia-greenbelt-17002/ 

30 minutes ago, lenzman said:

https://www.tablemountainbikers.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Table-Mountain-MTB-Club-Maps-PRINT.pdf

There's only one legal mtb trail from C Nek to Newlands Forest over the top, then come back past Kirstenbosch top gate, can do the trail in lower Kirstenbosch, along Corks or the singletrack below Rhodes Drive, then down Diep River trail and greenbelt. Would be better to go with somebody else first time, and you should have an activity card to ride the C'nek to Newlands route.

From a safety perspective, muggings on the greenbelt have been few and far between. At weekends, Constantia Nek to Newlands is quite busy with walkers and cyclists. There's no telling if muggers will shift to this area now that Table Mountain and Signal Hill are being patrolled.

I wouldn't ride on the road from Rhodes Drive-M3 intersection to the 'stone cottages', but the route drops down into Fernwood for that reason. After the stone cottages the road is wider and there's verge to ride on, but the official route stays in the suburb. 

2 hours ago, Rock Guy said:

I also saw that on one of the Stellenbosch Whatsapp groups. I ride that road very often and always thought it was a much safer alternative to the R44 heading to Somerset West. 

I have not seen any further info on the incident on Bikehub or elsewhere.

Yip I'd also like to know more about this and saw the same horrific photo and messages. I live very close to that area and ride that road often. I'm always a little skeptical of stuff forwarded around on whatsapp; it's just human nature to forward on dramatic stuff without thinking too much about it. So if anyone has any info about and apparent (rather brutal) bikejacking on Blaauwklippen road on the morning of Saturday the 13th Jan....

1 hour ago, lenzman said:

The Constantia Greenbelt and Cecilia to Newlands Forest loop are exceptionally safe.  I am there once a week. I am not aware of any reported muggings in the area for at least 5 years, but I may have missed the report 

The M3 single track  from Peddlars to Tokai can be a bit deserted at certain times and as its close to the M3 and has some homeless people camping at one point does feel a little less safe. That said I ride it alone and haven't had any issues. 

Mugging/Bike Jackings have taken place on the Spaanschemat road from time to time - If I recall the last one was very early in the morning last winter.   

33 minutes ago, Anthem24 said:

From a safety perspective, muggings on the greenbelt have been few and far between. At weekends, Constantia Nek to Newlands is quite busy with walkers and cyclists. There's no telling if muggers will shift to this area now that Table Mountain and Signal Hill are being patrolled.

I wouldn't ride on the road from Rhodes Drive-M3 intersection to the 'stone cottages', but the route drops down into Fernwood for that reason. After the stone cottages the road is wider and there's verge to ride on, but the official route stays in the suburb. 

Its amazing to see how the SANP jeep tracks in Cecilia have gone to the dogs since that video was shot five years ago. Sections of it are nothing more than rock gardens now. 

3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Its amazing to see how the SANP jeep tracks in Cecilia have gone to the dogs since that video was shot five years ago. Sections of it are nothing more than rock gardens now. 

Yes, I haven't done C'Nek to Newlands for almost a year, and can imagine the September flood took its toll on the rocky climb up to the K'bosch boundary !

31 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Yip I'd also like to know more about this and saw the same horrific photo and messages. I live very close to that area and ride that road often. I'm always a little skeptical of stuff forwarded around on whatsapp; it's just human nature to forward on dramatic stuff without thinking too much about it. So if anyone has any info about and apparent (rather brutal) bikejacking on Blaauwklippen road on the morning of Saturday the 13th Jan....

Hearsay, but from reliable sources it is being confirmed as reported. Early morning attack with maximum violence by two individuals. I'm also really hoping for more info. How do you prepare for unprovoked violence of such a nature? 😱 
Apparently there is a growing fund for any info that would lead to arrests.

…would like to contribute, to that fund, if anyone has a link? Makes me very angry - not simply the stealing of someones bike, but the violence that goes along with it - shocking.

Chris

47 minutes ago, Zebra said:

…would like to contribute, to that fund, if anyone has a link? Makes me very angry - not simply the stealing of someones bike, but the violence that goes along with it - shocking.

Chris

Me too