Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Thank you so much!!

And during the weekdays, which parks could i gain access to, and get some riding done safely enough?

From Lower Tokai Forest up the Constantia Green Belt trails to the top of Southern Cross Drive. Then up the Cork oak Trail towards Constantia Neck. Then to Cecilia Forest, over Kirstenbosch, through Newlands Forest, to Rhodes Memorial. Then back again. But you better be fit or it'll kill you. Fantastic scenery though.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Lower Tokai Forest up the Constantia Green Belt trails to the top of Southern Cross Drive. Then up the Cork oak Trail towards Constantia Neck. Then to Cecilia Forest, over Kirstenbosch, through Newlands Forest, to Rhodes Memorial. Then back again. But you better be fit or it'll kill you. Fantastic scenery though.

Super ride.   And do Tokai in the morning first.  

Tried this a few weeks back, and by the time I got back to where I parked (Bootleggers) I couldn't even sit on my saddle. hahaha.

Difficult to ride the Greenbelt, if you do not know the area. Best would be to ask for a "guide". Surely there will be a hubber or two available for this.

Difficult to ride the Greenbelt, if you do not know the area. Best would be to ask for a "guide". Surely there will be a hubber or two available for this.

Some GPS tracks must be available for such an often ridden route?

Some GPS tracks must be available for such an often ridden route?

Ja well, no fine. My Edge 500 does not give turn by turn instructions, so it is / was difficult for me to ride without a guide the first time.

Maybe the OP is just as backwards as I am, in this regard..... :whistling:  :ph34r:  

Hi Everyone down in Cape Town,

Im visiting Cape Town (Kirstenhof area) for the whole of next week, and not knowing the area at all, where would it be safe to do some mountain biking in and around that area?

Open to all suggestions, even to join up with some groups if there are any available?

Looking forward to the suggestions.. 

If you are here on Saturday 23rd then Tokai is a very good option as entry for the day is free on production of a valid form of SA ID.

Hi Mark

Is the free Tokai entry part of the 'open parks' week thing? Great stuff!

from when to when again please?

from when to when again please?

In the case of Tokai it is only this Saturday the 23rd.

As far as my understanding goes (which isn't usually very far to be fair) for the rest of the park it is for the seven days from Saturday.

Open week was from the 18th, and officially only until today, although some are including tomorrow (23rd) as well

• 2 months later...

A disturbing trend over the last few years: an increase in speed and a style of driving that appears to have the intent of intimidating bike riders - this from the drivers of the vehicles owned/operated by the various paragliding companies utilizing the top of Signal Hill Road, Cape Town launch site.

I assume that they pay for the use of the launch site; perhaps this gives them a sense of entitlement? "We pay for this road! Cyclists do not! So get out of the way!"

Have any other cyclists had similar experiences while riding on Signal Hill Road?

I'm going to be in Lakeside over Xmas. What roads must I avoid towards Cape point and on the Atlantic side. Riding MTB bit need to do tits, so will be wearing my knobblies out on the tar. TIA

Edited by deanbean

Have any other cyclists had similar experiences while riding on Signal Hill Road?

Have always found traffic to be super chilled on signal hill road. Were you keeping left though?

This mornings incident is not isolated. It's something I have experienced a few times over last few years.

I have been so far left I may as well have been in the gutter;

Today I was near the top. No other cars. Two lanes with broken white line.

Dude comes racing past and hoots.

Then on his way down he crosses solid white line to make apex of turn or to show me "watch out!"?

Either way he was speeding on his way back down.