Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

On my daily commute section between Town - Paarden Eiland on the bus lane, I passed 7 police cars strategy placed.  Good to see. Also feels like a few more cyclists using this route again.

I hope that they remain permanent fixtures and don't lose interest and fade away...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodstock area of Main Road...lost some stuff from my pockets there once..

I was cycling along Woodstock main road - Something made me look behind and there where 3 guys charging me on my tail -  I cranked it up and got away - Only just.  Hate to think what would happen if they caught me ...

I was cycling along Woodstock main road - Something made me look behind and there where 3 guys charging me on my tail -  I cranked it up and got away - Only just.  Hate to think what would happen if they caught me ...

When was that ? Day and Time ?

Were you alone ?

Red Hill has become a no-go area for solo riders and small groups.

We went went up and over from the Simontown side, but I dropped near the top and rode the flatter section from the viewpoint to the top of the climb further along on my own. 3 guys walking towards me spread out on the road and then pretended to hitch hike when a car came past. That didn't fill me with happy feelings as I am pretty sure the car saved my day.

I heard rumours of a cyclist being attacked this past Sunday afternoon, Phisantekraal area. Chap standing next to the road put a stick into his spokes, attacked him with a rock (breaking his facial bones) and then only stealing the cellphone before running off.

Anyone that can confirm this?

I heard rumours of a cyclist being attacked this past Sunday afternoon, Phisantekraal area. Chap standing next to the road put a stick into his spokes, attacked him with a rock (breaking his facial bones) and then only stealing the cellphone before running off.

Fisantekraal or Phisantekraal? if the former....yea its dodge and you shouldn't be riding past there alone. We went through there in a group when we rode the Bainskloof Rush and I was still uncomfortable. at the PPA race earlier this year there were a few metro cops stationed there.

if the latter (ph)....then we can just stop riding and sell our bikes as it is basically almost in durbanville cbd.

Edited by morneS555

On my daily commute section between Town - Paarden Eiland on the bus lane, I passed 7 police cars strategy placed.  Good to see. Also feels like a few more cyclists using this route again.

there was an attempted bike jacking there 2 weeks ago. I wouldnt get too comfortable. be vigilant.

the cops/council are only visible when they get crap on social media.

Edited by morneS555

Flip that's so hectic. It really starts feeling like a mission every time we have to plan a ride in order to consider where we feel it ought to be safe vs constant danger.

What happens if everyone starts avoiding these, so called, dodgy areas?

Criminals will just move further out and create a new dodgy area.

I'm getting really gatvol of this.

Flip that's so hectic. It really starts feeling like a mission every time we have to plan a ride in order to consider where we feel it ought to be safe vs constant danger.

What happens if everyone starts avoiding these, so called, dodgy areas?

Criminals will just move further out and create a new dodgy area.

I'm getting really gatvol of this.

Still unconfirmed. My wife heard it from a colleague who heard from another person.

This was apparently close to the Fisantekraal settlement. 

Still unconfirmed. My wife heard it from a colleague who heard from another person.

This was apparently close to the Fisantekraal settlement

then totally possible unfortunately.

We rode past there on Saturday at about 11:00 or so - there was a group of cyclists standing around someone who had hit the deck. Cops were on the scene, so we didn't stop.

Found out from another cyclist further along that he had hit a drunk pedestrian.

I hope the cyclist wasn't badly hurt and is back in action soon

Yesterday on my training ride i happened to use my mtb and decided to do that short leg burner at the rhodes gate which leads to the BH. I happened to notice bricks stacked up next to the hut which seemed odd. I then noticed a yellow gut line pulled over the path. Didnt see a person however, im sure somebody was there that put it up.

Please be careful ppl if you riding alone.

There was an incident exactly like that about 2 years ago, maybe stories got mixed up?

Fisantekraal do have some incidents occasionally but I have been cycling through there for years (usually more than once a week) without incident.(touch wood)

I am kind of curious why the Klipheuwel informal settlement just up the road have never caused problems for cyclists (again touch wood) while Fisantekraal is a danger area.

There was an incident exactly like that about 2 years ago, maybe stories got mixed up?

Fisantekraal do have some incidents occasionally but I have been cycling through there for years (usually more than once a week) without incident.(touch wood)

I am kind of curious why the Klipheuwel informal settlement just up the road have never caused problems for cyclists (again touch wood) while Fisantekraal is a danger area.

At the Silos?

I believe there was an incident or two a few years back where cyclist got chased by an individual. Although there never was an actual attack, as far as I know.