Joburg danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, geomark said:

It just keeps getting grimmer doesn't it.

like I said to the wife last night. Hundreds of cyclists pass that point every day, I will be extra aware but for now I'm not going to stop riding.

21 hours ago, Clint S said:

So the days of riding to your club meetup is over, best to drive there☹️

I agree! Just go a new (second hand) more expensive bike, I live 5km from my groups meet-up in Melrose, even though there hasn’t been any bike jacking issues around us *yet*, I am just to s**t scared to ride there and back now, think I’m going to drive there from now on.

its sad but its true, It is not a case of IF its going to happen its simply a case of WHEN , I have made peace with that. All I hope the thugs give me 5 seconds to explain TAKE IT, I COULDNT CARE ITS INSURED, have a nice day this is how the AXS works,,keep safe have a nice day 

1 minute ago, DIPSLICK said:

its sad but its true, It is not a case of IF its going to happen its simply a case of WHEN , I have made peace with that. All I hope the thugs give me 5 seconds to explain TAKE IT, I COULDNT CARE ITS INSURED, have a nice day this is how the AXS works,,keep safe have a nice day 

exactly my thoughts. I ran some scenarios through my head last night and trying to get away is simply not an option, so I've made peace that I'll hand over my possessions, just hope they give me the chance to do so before getting brutal.

I also need to go and get a pay as you go sim for a miniature phone I bought 2 years ago, the idea being that I'll tuck it inside the kit and once the coast is clear I can phone for a lift.

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

exactly my thoughts. I ran some scenarios through my head last night and trying to get away is simply not an option, so I've made peace that I'll hand over my possessions, just hope they give me the chance to do so before getting brutal.

I also need to go and get a pay as you go sim for a miniature phone I bought 2 years ago, the idea being that I'll tuck it inside the kit and once the coast is clear I can phone for a lift.

AFTER MY TRIP to PE and the cape in december, most my mates ride with a throw away phones, thats my next plan

Soooo much access on our smart phones, especially the banking if you forced to hit a few EFT it will hurt alot more than the bikes costs

Quick one, I know solo riding is a risk but what the trials/dirt roads through Glenferness/Helderfontein/Blue Hills like from a safety perspective if I am riding solo?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ouzo said:

my local CPF have sent out a message that a Mozambique syndicate have been bust for the recent spate of bike jackings , another suspect apprehended this week. No news on any recovered bikes though.

A little more info from a screen grab from Facebook. Hopefully they not back anytime soon 😏 so glad my immediate future is not in SA (Sadly).IMG-20220517-WA0010.jpg.e1fa0085e8d42be8a0745fa15e31530b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 12:51 PM, ouzo said:

my local CPF have sent out a message that a Mozambique syndicate have been bust for the recent spate of bike jackings , another suspect apprehended this week. No news on any recovered bikes though.

Any further news on this?

16 minutes ago, Grant Greyling said:

Any further news on this?

Nope. Haven’t heard anything further. 

• 8 months later...

For the record, all the articles online have misspelled the location. It is Disselboom avenue, not Disselbon:
https://goo.gl/maps/NzwB4hNDpFHE66gp6

It appears as though the hijackers were released, but that's just what I read form these same crappy copy paste articles. I cycle that area and would like to know it is purged from the scum.

• 2 months later...

While having a coffee at the circus around 12ish today ,one of the ladies that work there asked me which direction had I come from. 

Apparently a guy was hijacked by Henley on klip ,they took him as well.  One of the patrons at the circus received a call . Not sure how they new or who the call was from. 

Thats all i know, anybody heard anything else or to the contrary. 

Riding solo is becoming increasingly dangerous. It always has had its risks . Just seems lately that the attacks are more frequent and more calculated .

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Very sadly awaiting all the posts that are going to come from the 947 over the next couple of days :(

What are you talking about? There are hardly ever any issues regarding crime at the event. It’s the run up beforehand we see a spike in incidents, also given how close we are to silly season.