Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

Re Klapperkop attempted robbery.

Drove down George Storrar today, on corner with Herbert Baker, inside the fence, close to the spot where the attempted robbery took place last Saturday (as I understood) was at least one vagrant sitting under a tree. I'm guessing those vagrants call that spot home.

Yesterday there was a security guard at the gate, wonder why he wasn't there today.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From FAcebook:

10574411_772810086104425_653663873079066

Hi all friends and family. Some of you know what happened to me over the last few days and others not. This is just a quick overview: On Sunday 14 Sept 2015, I went for a recovery MTB Ride after an awesome Crater Cruise on Saturday. About 5kms from my house in the open area in front of Cornwall Hill, two black males attacked me very unexpectantly. I fell off my bike and they forced me onto the ground. I did not know whether they were armed or not and did not resist. Told them they can take everything. They tied my hands behind my back and then told me to walk into the bush. I asked why and told them to just take the bike and let me go. They then blatantly told me that the bike does not mean anything and that today I am going to die. I then moved back to the road and the cable ties broke loose. They started to assault me and hit me with rocks against the one side of my head and back of my head. Luckily I still had my helmet on. They were like animals. I am not sure how long this pursued (probably 5 to 10 minutes) - will spare you the detail. They then suddenly ran for the bike and left me. Closeby two guys were also cycling and they had a vehicle / kombi with them (George and Schalk). They assisted me to get home and to Emergencies at Unitas. The staff helped me immediately, went for Cat Scan and luckily I had no skull fractures. A lot of stitches later, I went into surgery to clean all the wounds (really awesome deep sleep for an hour) and then went to high care for the night to get my kidneys clean from all the toxins (fight and flight). Monday AM I was declared fit to go except for swelling in my left hand. This turned out to be a small fracture. I went home Monday PM.

The swelling is now almost back to normal. I have a nice blue eye and yellow skin, but think my mind is back on track. Had some trauma councelling yesterday.

I would just like to thank everyone for their assistance and support during this experience. In particular Thanks to my wonderful wife Sanri Oosthuizen and kids and family. My best friend Willem Groenewald and his family for being there for me and Hannes Viljoen for getting the medical stuff sorted and caring. There were so many people that sent best wishes and made food for us this week. Outsurance was awesome to help sort out the claim. Everyone at work (MMI / Momentum / Metropolitan / Multiply) were extremely supportive. Thanks to everyone.

During a time like this you obviously reflect a lot. All I can say for now is that we need to live each day to its fullest and appreciate our family and friends. I am glad to still be here. Please do not send me stuff about 'this might be some sort of test for me and I need to learn from it' - that is total crap. I will obviously learn from this, but it was a chance event. We should not let things like this infringe on our right to freedom and make us live in fear. I will make use of this opportunity to see how we can make our country a safer place, or rather go. The freedom and safety of my family is very important - even more after such an event.

Thanks again everyone.

10452373_791880387530728_815233147698898
10665182_791880450864055_462150704455287
10352287_791880514197382_113496608132839
10399447_791880544197379_780420306847826
10710659_791880594197374_381954654168110

•  
    Jan Ehlers, Lee-Ann DuToit, Carel Bezuidenhoud and 14 others like this.

Hi Jaco,

I'm glad you are OK. Thank you for sharing your indecent, i hope this find the eyes of many cyclists. May I ask you to please post a google image of the precise location of the attack. 

I wish you a speedy recovery!

On the 14th Sep we did a ride at klapperkop and there were 2 guys sitting in the bushes just chilling. Not sure what they were doing. but it was inside and they were both behind some tall grass, could just see their heads and shoulders basically. They were inside the fence.

Red dots indicate where they were sitting

post-42648-0-61203600-1411367270_thumb.png

Edited by Gandalf

On the 14th Sep we did a ride at klapperkop and there were 2 guys sitting in the bushes just chilling. Not sure what they were doing. but it was inside and they were both behind some tall grass, could just see their heads and shoulders basically. They were inside the fence.

Capture.PNG

Perfect target area......rocky, uneven ground and start of climb.....so cycling speed is slow and they can easily run you in. Also a lot of dence bush to hide and escape routes.

For now will rather go left at bottom cattle gate and use track next to golf course......a little more open.

Perfect target area......rocky, uneven ground and start of climb.....so cycling speed is slow and they can easily run you in. Also a lot of dence bush to hide and escape routes.

For now will rather go left at bottom cattle gate and use track next to golf course......a little more open.

security guards were present at the cattlegrid entrance this morning

security guards were present at the cattlegrid entrance this morning

Yip....also saw them. Two sitting in the sun on the stoepie of the Wendy.....ja broer!

Edited by BarHugger

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Exact spot I saw them on Sunday, 21/9 11h00.

Hell Jaco I am shocked.

I also did the Crater cruise in Parys.

Wishing you well and hope you make a speedy recovery.

I have just spent the last 45 minutes reading through this thread from start to finish. This sounds like riding in a war zone.

Ridiculous. If any of these big group rides are planned for weekends to try and weed out this rubbish we will join in to help. From Midrand but will gladly come with to help.

Edited by Muggins

I trained at KK from 5;30 this morning and I felt safe, there was a gaurd at the bottom gate stopping everyone and getting drivers to sign in, and he was friendly to the cyclists, I gave him R10 for a coke when it gets hot and ask everyone who goes there to train, to give the guards a "thank you"! I also did a fews laps on saterday and saw guards at the bottom George Storrar gate, and Parks Board guys patrolling the fence.... A BIG thank you to who ever arranged this and to these guards. I will take loose change everytime I go to show my appreciation!

The tar road at KK I think is not the main issue. I think the gravel paths are where the danger lies and that is where i want to be.

The tar road at KK I think is not the main issue. I think the gravel paths are where the danger lies and that is where i want to be.

Although one should watch out for Wildebees, especially at the watertowers at sunrise.

Has anyone heard of any issues in Groenkloof reserve?

A while ago we were doing the single track below the bridges when we (5 of us) were approached by a male about 40 years old, he had no shirt or shoes and said that he had just been robbed at knife-point by two b-males. He was apparently robbed of his bike and cellphone as well as his shoes as i suspect that would take him longer to get help. We reported it to the reserve rangers and they communicated it over the radios. I have no idea of what happened thereafter. I stay clear of the single track and now only ride the conservancy part of the reserve. He was cycling alone... probably made him a easy target.