Hunters Win

cacciatore

If I look at the results it looks liek a totally different story.

David was the top SA rider. It took a handfull of Barloworld riders to take care of one lone CSC rider.

David still managed to place at Top South African. I agree with him' date=' had the stage gone one extra lap that day I think there would have been a totally different story. TBL were almost all blown out from what I was told.

David and Robert need to sort their sh*t out. I know both of them are top class riders. Robert has ridden in the Tour sure, but Davids results are also not to shabby.

Medals at World Championships

Medals at Commonwealth games

Winner in Lankawi

Multiple SA champ

Cant just write that off can you.

Every time they end up at worlds together David seems to do the business. Imagine the 2 could work together Wink
[/quote']

Geez Chunky I have to agree with you again !!

I've also said on Friday leaving Vissershok that DG was robbed from a better result with the last lap being cancelled. 

Two different styles of riders...both equally good in their own right - why must personal issues always spoil the end result?Disapprove

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way Hunter behaved at the time trial on Saturday (tuning the spectator for 5mins, going away and coming back for more...) wasn't correct. When he tuned Petacchi I thought "Cool, he's telling Petacchi how Primi Donna he is" but then he does something which, in my eyes, make him look like a brat.

As a proffesional sportsman he should know better, he should have just said to the guy "hey that aint cool" IF he said anything, not - "You w**ker! How could you do that blah blah blah".

His win was deserved, if you're strong you must win, but the attitude gets to me.

Guys, I do not think that Robbie gives two hoots about what you think of him, see him as a cyclist, no more and no less, and he was good on the day. Trying to judge him (the same as a while ago when most of you tackled the "Lance Armstrong" issue is just plain weakness. Everytime someone comes to the fore, you guys attack the personallity. This is Bull@%#%^&. Leave him, he done well on the day! Congrats to him and Barloworld.

Futher to this, I think that if you want to speak your mind to him, get some guts and tell him face to face. Bet you will all be quiet in that situation. You know , people who forever find fault in others are usually... never mind - You will know what I am trying to tell you.

As a proffesional sportsman he should know better' date=' he should have just said to the guy "hey that aint cool" IF he said anything, not - "You w**ker! How could you do that blah blah blah".

[/quote']

No IF's about it - that prick did boo and swear.  And it was actually other spectators who pointed him out to RH while he was describing to some MTN/Microsoft guy (fellow competitor) what happened. They obviously thought that the spectator was out of line as well. RH didn't know who had done the shouting - it was only after the guy was pointed out by other spectators that RH came to confront the prick for the first time - he didn't come back "searching" for him.

Just because someone is a professional sportsman doesn't give Joe Public the right to abuse them. And if Joe Public does abuse them then they have the right to respond, IMO.  Different characters will respond in different ways.

Whether you think it is professional or not, or cool or not is your prerogative but he should not have been put in that predicament in the first place.

Strange how very little has been said about the spectators conduct???!!! Or is it that we can get away with what we like but we expect those in the limelight to live by a different set of rules?

Futher to this' date=' I think that if you want to speak your mind to him, get some guts and tell him face to face. Bet you will all be quiet in that situation.

[/quote']

Heh heh! I remember in the mid 90's training with Hunter and we came back along Ontdekkers and got cut-off by a car. The car gets stopped at a robot, and Hunter and Jock smack the guys window. Guy gets out, and Hunter whips out his back wheel and starts pummeling the guy with it... Ouch

No personal attacks guys, just responding to some of your comments.....PEACE OK!

BTW' date=' I was at the fnish at Bloemendal and heard DG moan about everything from the heat to the distance.  Definitely not destined for the diplomatic core either.

[/quote']

It was 40 degrees and it was a long race, but being a professional rider he had his tactics layed out. So maybe he actually had something to moan about.

Robbie went on to his website and moaned about DG sharing a valid opinion.

BIG, BIG difference!

As i've said before, putting another competitor in a negative light.....WHY? What does it achieve? 

Just remember that getting riders with personality who now and then say something controversial is much better than having another shrinking violet in the peloton.  Too many of those around in my opinion.

Say something controversial for sure' date=' speak your mind.....IF IT HAS SOME SORT OF MERIT OR FACTUAL BASIS. The comments I mentioned before are totally uncalled for IMO. They have no real merit. Just Robbie spreading his negative and biased opinions.....IMO.

You know , people who forever find fault in others are usually....

Like Robbie....?

Futher to this' date=' I think that if you want to speak your mind to him, get some guts and tell him face to face. Bet you will all be quiet in that situation. [/quote']

I would LOVE  the opportunity to do this. Have a mature conversation with the guy and speak to him about his methods.....somehow I don't think Robbie is the kind of man who would be able/prepared to listen.

It just bugs me that it's so easy to be likeable and he's just missing the boat completely. He has achieved so much, for himself and SA cycling, but we're sitting with a split community with half saying let him be and the other half lending him no support at all. He could do so much more for the sport if he were just universally liked.

Strange how very little has been said about the spectators conduct???!!! Or is it that we can get away with what we like but we expect those in the limelight to live by a different set of rules?

I don't believe the spectator was right. However' date=' Robbie has not endeared himself to his public, so in a nation of passionate supporters who like to speak their mind as well, perhaps it can be expected of the odd spectator to hurl abuse.

I DO NOT CONDONE IT.....i'm just saying that it doesn't surprise me.

Approaching the spectator in a mature way is acceptable, but really a waste of time and more likely the sort of response the spectator was hoping to ellicit in the first place.

Giving him the finger mid-race is just totally uncalled for!

Remember the highest tree's always catch the most wind, comparison's bewteen personalities is ludicrous.

In this case the highest tree blows the most wind!

RH is still the arrogant man who a couple years ago claimed in an interview that he was the best thing to come out of SA cycling in years and that it would be 10 years before anyone else came along that would achieve what he had.

Even if that were true, and it sure as he!! is not.....he lost my respect when he said it himself!
MintSauce2007-03-13 01:17:23

It's a fine line between speaking your mind, and being an obnoxious ass. Sorry to say, but he's crossed it.

Some w**ker in the crowd heckled RH, to be quite honest, if he had been heckling me I would probably have removed his head, so I think RH's response is quite mild.

ya its true,robbie is a bit of a moaner but then agen he has done lots for sa cycling!did any one see his post race interview on tv after argus?came accross as a bit arrogant to me!

race greg in dh???ha ha ha ha ha ha ha he will get takenLOLLOLLOLLOL

I personally think that people that provides entertainment should not care about any negative remarks/comments.. If you watch a rugby match at home, you go off at the guy that plays badly but there's no hard feelings, next weekend you still support the team. It is exactly the same principle here. RH should just have ignored the guy as i'm sure he weren't the only one having something to say about him. As soon as someone is in the limelight, people will have differant opinions about him, that's just how it is.

About David on Friday. He was really looking strong and he proved that on Saturday when he won the hillclimb. I've watched the race and he was in the bunch and there was a couple of guys away in the break. He was flying up that Bloemendal hill, he almost caught the 3 leading guys that was away in the break and that proves that the race would've been alot different if there were another lap so he was right being mad about it.

Happy for Robbie he really deserves something for himself. He did his team proud and South Africa. Nice to see a South African winning the Argus!

For sure!!!!!

It's been a long time since a South African won the Big one

I personally would have preferred to have seen Daryl win it but i think he will one day!!!!

Well done Rob

Guest colonel

RH thinks the sun shines out of his ass and it doesnt I totally agree with Mintsauce on this.

IF RH was as good as he says and is as little trouble as most of you say why wasnt he snapped up by another Pro team? Please dont tell me cause he wanted to ride for a SA team cause thats crap no one offered him a ride cause he came from a Pro Team with the highest positive test ratio and he is difficult to work with and he had no results in 2007 other than helping Landis win.