Would you recommend Q rings

fandacious

What is the hubbers take on Q rings?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What is the hubbers take on Q rings?

• Yes - I ride them and they rule
    • Yes - I've heard good things
    • No - I ride them and they dont help
    • No - I've heard bad things

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a bit harsh fatty ...

There are lots of devices that might be worth testing but to do it fairly and objectively requires a lot of time and effort. I always look at the science and basis for something lke this before committing to a test. In this case the basis for improvement does not stack up - improving cycling efficiency as a result of changing pedal phase is not possible and so on this basis I have declined the kind offers to test.

As for being aggressive - as Bruce says' date=' sorry that you feel that way.

A power meter is nothing more than an accurate measuring tool, it does not make you faster, but will help you to be more efficient in your training and analysis if used properly - how you train to get fit is up to you. I do not recall ever seeing anybody state that it is the only way to reach one's potential, but I will say that it is likely to make the process faster, and on top of that you have a better chance of knowing you have reached it when you get there.
[/quote']

BikeMax, sorry, maybe I came across a bit strong. Telling me about training with power is preaching to the coverted. BUT...as you know I train with niterider quite a lot, and some days I wish he would take the little yellow console from his handlebars and put it away and enjoy the scenery that is Camps Bay as we ride past it. Enjoy the smell of the ocean, look at the girls running past etc, and be less forcussed on what watts he is putting out, what his new CTL figures will be, what his TLS for the week etc etc etc...LOL

wasn't there a recent study that showed training with power to be no more effective than training with HR...?

wasn't there a recent study that showed training with power to be no more effective than training with HR...?

No - there wasn't.

I'm pretty sure there is one...

I would love to see it..

You are more than likely referring to the study apparently put together by Jeroen at SSI - it has never seen the light of day (and I'll wager it never will)

It's a bit like putting a study together to show that using your finger for measuring the temperature of liquid is more effective than using a thermometer Wink

I cant see how that has anything to do with the effectiveness of Qrings. Thumbs%20Down I suggest you find the article, and start a new topic.

I've followed this thread so far, some of the participants have huge disagreement concerning point of view, but mostly without getting personal. It was a good debate so far.
Christie2007-08-13 11:41:10

I would love to see it..

You are more than likely referring to the study apparently put together by Jeroen at SSI - it has never seen the light of day (and I'll wager it never will)

It's a bit like putting a study together to show that using your finger for measuring the temperature of liquid is more effective than using a thermometer Wink

Yes, I spoke to Jeroen that apparently did a thesis comparing the two. He said that I he had to chose between heart rate or power he would choose HR.  He also commented on my poor spinscan and when I asked him about q-rings, he said that it should help my.

Any comments?

I would love to see it..

Yes' date=' I spoke to Jeroen that apparently did a thesis comparing the two. He said that I he had to chose between heart rate or power he would choose HR.  He also commented on my poor spinscan and when I asked him about q-rings, he said that it should help my.

Any comments?

[/quote']

Fanie

Re the "Thesis" - I cannot comment on something I have not seen.

Re the Q rings - re read my posts in this thread and you will get a very clear picture of what my thoughts are.

Power and HR are equally important as one measures the science and other teaches the rider to know his workings of his body better. Understanding when your body (HR) is not responding to its normal performance(Power) and how to adjust what you have to do according to this, is one of best things an athlete can master. We in cycling work with people and science- and people do not always respond to science. It is the understanding of the relationship between the two that counts the most..

I would love to see it..

So you've seen this study then since you can already discredit it as bogus science..

I would love to see it..

So you've seen this study then since you can already discredit it as bogus science..
This must be the most petty posting that I have come across this year - and there are lots on this forum. GoLefty if you have the study then point everyone to it. If not then ffs just let it be ....pleeeeeezzzzzeeeee!!!!

Simple way to test the effectiveness of the Q rings is to give a set each to the two worst riders on this forum - namely muxman and I - and see if we can finish a road race in front of the last placed person.

Seriously, I am quite keen to try a set on my road tandem. I am a sucker for experimenting. My socks are even labelled - "Crash Test Dummy". Once I am over the costs of a new bike, house and car I will be shopping with intent.

where are you? We have had huge success on tandems with the 54/42 set.

Let me know where you are and I will set you up with one of our dealers.