Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 84 Rih ‘mixte’ sport, have all the parts stripped and stored, but it handled bad and my misses is to tall for this frame;

post-159581-0-51012400-1584699167_thumb.jpeg

Rih was a Dutch bike builder founded in 1921, from 1972 they had a partnership with a factory to make production bikes like the one above. Sadly no more handbuild racers are made these days.

and a Cannondale Caad3 (from the 90’s?) It has damage on the chainstay sadly, it is my size and handled great;

post-159581-0-81122200-1584699274_thumb.jpeg

better sight then the grapes that once grew on that rack  :clap:

and because i am a little wheel nerdy;

post-159581-0-44723000-1584699372_thumb.jpeg

post-159581-0-81077000-1584699395_thumb.jpeg

post-159581-0-82142500-1584699403_thumb.jpeg

a tree of hubs; left 1988 Shimano XT, right Shimano Dura Ace high flange, both new and never laced -

are in the living room  :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Oops i did it again!

post-159581-0-78962500-1585642683_thumb.jpg

post-159581-0-66767600-1585642694_thumb.jpg

To complete the high flange Dura Ace hubs i allready had, a set of Dura Ace regular hubs, new, unused, in the original box and even the sticker to put on your frame was included.

post-159581-0-68365900-1585642706_thumb.jpg

And i found some Dura Ace brakes from the first or second series, don't know exactly...

post-159581-0-43129800-1585642737_thumb.jpg

Building a collection of parts...

post-159581-0-40463700-1585643046_thumb.png

post-159581-0-43400800-1585643072_thumb.png

And for my lady a Jan Janssen Paris-Roubaix in Columbus Thron, more old than used, the shifters where stuck because of solidified grease...will get a good makeover!

Those D-A hubs are drool worthy :drool: :drool: :drool:

I bought some Ultegra 6500 rear hubs last week, new, unused, a bit rough from lying around, but there not old enough to be vintage yet, so i think one of them is going in the rear wheel of the Jan Janssen...

It gets worse, i walked into a size 66 Jan Janssen yesterday and i picked it up today  :clap: , kept the social distancing rules in check and got hold of a late 70’s Jan Janssen in Reynolds 531, with Shimano 600EX ‘Arabesque’ groupset.

post-159581-0-05075200-1585855917_thumb.jpeg

The shifting on the downtube not bad at all, the only thing really scary is the brakes, they will be replaced with better dual pivot style ones, i will keep all the old stuff in stock, don’t worry  :thumbup:

(the pedals are temporary for a testride, the toeclip original ones are on the workbench)

It gets worse, i walked into a size 66 Jan Janssen yesterday and i picked it up today  :clap: , kept the social distancing rules in check and got hold of a late 70’s Jan Janssen in Reynolds 531, with Shimano 600EX ‘Arabesque’ groupset.

attachicon.gif08B1897B-CA6F-42E8-B0F4-DC281319F5EC.jpeg

The shifting on the downtube not bad at all, the only thing really scary is the brakes, they will be replaced with better dual pivot style ones, i will keep all the old stuff in stock, don’t worry  :thumbup:

(the pedals are temporary for a testride, the toeclip original ones are on the workbench)

Before replacing the brake callipers, just put new (softer) brake blocks on them. Often the old rubber blocks harden and the braking is so poor it is shocking. New pads will make it a lot better. Ask me, I almost chucked a pair of Deltas because of rubbish old blocks.

attachicon.gif08B1897B-CA6F-42E8-B0F4-DC281319F5EC.jpeg

Your gas braai almost look like a little Humvee  :D

To be fair to the the blocks on the Deltas, those were the worst brakes ever made. Quintessentially Italian - the prettiest ever made, but not terribly good at stopping bicycles. 

Modolo went even further down that road with these... gorgeous on a TT bike, terrible to set up, should have come with a 20kg weight limit. 

post-86413-0-64711100-1585896241_thumb.jpg

To be fair to the the blocks on the Deltas, those were the worst brakes ever made. Quintessentially Italian - the prettiest ever made, but not terribly good at stopping bicycles. 

Yes, even the best newest grippiest blocks on the Deltas will still require some faith when stopping.

Before replacing the brake callipers, just put new (softer) brake blocks on them. Often the old rubber blocks harden and the braking is so poor it is shocking. New pads will make it a lot better. Ask me, I almost chucked a pair of Deltas because of rubbish old blocks.

Tell me all about it, I nearly killed myself on Eroica this year with that descent into that rocky river bed. My bike only slowed out slightly, I needed to use my shoes to slow down, school boy style ^_^

Tell me all about it, I nearly killed myself on Eroica this year with that descent into that rocky river bed. My bike only slowed out slightly, I needed to use my shoes to slow down, school boy style ^_^

Was such a great weekend that. We really did slip in under the radar with it. Probably the last cycle ride we are going to see for quite a while. For me, I'm delighted that it ended on such a high!  

Oh no, the great Campagnolo Corsa Record Delta brake caliper debate. The haters who can't afford them and the lovers who like to boast!

I have a few bikes with Delta calipers 2-4 generation and the effectiveness is primarily determined to how they are set up and as DJR says the quality of the blocks. Unfortunately they take time to set up property but the time and effort spent on the setup will allow one to enjoy them.