cradle route

chucky

I am all for riding a groups but it really pisses me off when I have to slow down for cyclists that ride two or three abreast... I can think of a couple of times this holiday I had to slow down and drive at 20km/h behind a group of cyclists because there where oncoming traffic that I had to wait for before overtaking them... have some common sense guys... you are putting yourselves in danger to proof a point instead of just having some common courtesy to the other road users. Evil%20Smile

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for riding a groups but it really pisses me off when I have to slow down for cyclists that ride two or three abreast... I can think of a couple of times this holiday I had to slow down and drive at 20km/h behind a group of cyclists because there where oncoming traffic that I had to wait for before overtaking them... have some common sense guys... you are putting yourselves in danger to proof a point instead of just having some common courtesy to the other road users. Evil%20Smile

Common courtesy? Why don't you display some to other road users then? Shouldn't matter if they are going slowly, illegally or anything else. If they are illegal, report them to the law. Simple.

So you are basically saying, just like cradleresident and mr ples, that you won't wait a few seconds until it is safe to pass a group of cyclists but you have no problem if it was a slow moving vehicle?

My Uncle has a farm in the area, and was held up at gunpoint after having dinner with friends and my dad, no one was seriously injured (the one friend was pistol wipped),all for R2000! but I think this is a bigger issue than friends enjoying their early morning ride, wether they are riding two abreast or not.

Having said that however, I do not condone taking up the whole lane just because there's a lot of you in the group, I'm sitting on the fence on this one. all I want to do (as with most of us) is ride my bike on the weekend in a nice area and I take my hat off to the work the cradle community puts in, but like Bruce has said we all have our own community projects...

I too get irritated with cyclists who think they can ride where they like as it creates threads like this...But I won't endanger them
techguy2010-01-15 05:46:35

Not at all... If I was cruising at 20km/h along the road I would not stick to the middle of the road, I will move out of the way as far left as I can so that I do not hold up anyone else... A slow moving vehcile or slow moving cyclists exactly the same in my opinion... What I was saying is if if are going at 20km/h have some courtesy and drive/ride in such a way that you do not hold up others...

Mr x is not back pedling' date=' he has not posted anything on the hub. He is just gatvol about cyclysts like every other resident. If you were at the Teak meeting you would of seen that cyclysts are not really welcome in the area and are seen as a problem.
[/quote']

who do you guys think you are??

those are public roads. you have no right to welcome or not welcome ANYONE into the area. as long as they stay off your private property, you have NO RIGHT!

That's like me saying... sorry cradle residents.. you not welcome to come into Fourways and buy your groceries.. because on your way in, you try knock cyclists off their bikes...that is just as ridiculous.

the grievances about big bunches riding all over the road is fair, and I know action is being taken by the various clubs to try remedy the situation.

unfortunately there are always going to be the people that are unruly and have not respect, but this will come from both sides!

just like you have drivers on the road that drive like idiots and cut people off and taxi's that do their thing.

at my house in Randburg we have loads of pedestrians and school kids that walk past our house and throw their trash all over our lawn etc.... its something i have to accept in the area i live.... I'm not about to try blockade the road and try knock them over with my car when I'm pulling in and out my driveway...

it boils down to the FACT that its public roads that everyone has to share...hopefully, this whole debacle just raise some awareness to the various groups of cyclists and they can abide by the rules and your experience can change, however, there will always be some that don't/wont and unfortunately you guys will have to deal with it since its a PUBLIC road... hopefully you can all have some sense and know that trying to hurt/kill the cyclists or blockade roads is not the solution, but something that will make the situation worse.

My Uncle has a farm in the area' date=' and was held up at gunpoint after having dinner with friends and my dad, no one was seriously injured (the one friend was pistol wipped),all for R2000! but I think this is a bigger issue than friends enjoying their early morning ride, wether they are riding two abreast or not.

Having said that however, I do not condone taking up the whole lane just because there's a lot of you in the group, I'm sitting on the fence on this one. all I want to do (as with most of us) is ride my bike on the weekend in a nice area and I take my hat off to the work the cradle community puts in, but like Bruce has said we all have our own community projects...

I too get irritated with cyclists who think they can ride where they like as it creates threads like this...
[/quote']

So should the residents not focus on that rather than a very few petty cyclists and the way they ride? A group of cyclists probably take up the same space as a small car. Are there issues with small cars as well?

We all get irritated with a few people of any group, but that give us the right to take out our frustrations on the rest of the group and commit reckless acts? Taxi's irritate me every day but I don't go and destroy a taxi rank or two?

Is the traffic situation in the cradle so serious that it can be compared to say Fourways with Cedar/Witkoppen/William Nicol? Maybe those residents would have more room to moan than the cradle residents?

As for cycling lanes, it is all very well to have them but in order for them to be rideable they need to be kept clear of debris. Naturally with cars driving on a certain part of the road debris will collect on the other parts of the road. Just look at race tracks - there is the clean side and the dirty side. Bicycle tyres are much more prone to punctures than vehicle tyres so cyclists can't ride over the same debris as vehicles can. Just a point cradle residents should keep in mind as to why cyclists sometimes have to move towards the middle of the road.

Well Mr X better get a massive bullbar on his bakkie. If he wants to take out cyclist who commits traffic offences then he better start work at taxi's driving in yellow lanes, people talking on cellphone in traffic, kids not being buckled in, people not wearing seatbelts, women applying make up.

Man he is going to have a hard time farming with this new job as "hitman of the west"!

I get just as frustrated by cyclist not adhering to road rules, but then again how many other offences are committed by the same individuals in their own car?

It comes back to the point - just because we as cyclist are not protected from the elements, doesn't mean that you can aim at us!

So lets put it into perspective as the question at hand might be more a case of size and ability of weapon.

If I'm on my bike and get hit by a car cause the driver was irritated with cyclists and argued that hitting a cyclist will cause less damage to his car and at the same point send a "message" to other cyclist. Can I then shoot him cause I was irritated by him hitting me with his car and "happened" to have a gun with me? Cause essentially my weapon ended up being slightly different to his and sending a message that cyclist will take action if you hit them!

Cause lets be frank - why do we swear at taxi drivers or other road user? Cause we are terrified at what they might do to us if we confront them directly.

I'm sure your answer will be no! So treat cyclist exactly the same as you will treat any other vechicles on the road - cause a poephol is a poephol regardless of his means of transport!

If you were at the Teak meeting you would of seen that cyclysts are not really welcome in the area and are seen as a problem.

Sorry you feel that way, you are always welcome on the roads in the east rand whether in your car or on a bicycle.

Not at all... If I was cruising at 20km/h along the road I would not stick to the middle of the road' date=' I will move out of the way as far left as I can so that I do not hold up anyone else... A slow moving vehcile or slow moving cyclists exactly the same in my opinion... What I was saying is if if are going at 20km/h have some courtesy and drive/ride in such a way that you do not hold up others...[/quote']

So if the vehicle was going at 20kph and taking up the lane, as vehicles generally do, you would still think that it is ok to drive within a recklessly and dangerously close distance to that vehicle, if a slow moving vehicle and slow moving cyclists are exactly the same as in your stated opinion?

Have you maybe considered the notion that maybe the cyclists have to move to the middle at times to avoid some debris or bad road surface?

This whole thread is just going in circles.

I still think after this reaction someone should go and slap ken against the head till he sees some circles Evil%20Smile

The bottom line is people not obeying the laws, Yesterday riding home from work I was turning out of Fourways Boulevard onto Cedar rd to go up the hill and the chop in the car next to me (in the turning lane) decides he needs to go straight across the intersection, basically not obeying the rules (if you are in the turning lane then turn). So it boils down to that...

The bottom line is people not obeying the laws' date=' Yesterday riding home from work I was turning out of Fourways Boulevard onto Cedar rd to go up the hill and the chop in the car next to me (in the turning lane) decides he needs to go straight across the intersection, basically not obeying the rules (if you are in the turning lane then turn). So it boils down to that...[/quote']

So did you drive recklessly close to him with your hand on the hooter?

CR, I think you need to find a forum for angry schoolkids who don't want other children in their playground and go and rant there... if you don't have anything constructive to add (which you really don't!), then a cycling forum is not the place for you (only cyclists are permitted to rant here!). You don't need to defend anyone in the cradle 'coz they've done nothing wrong - once you've invested in your little cottage, you are entitled to mow down anyone who trespasses on 'your' road (it's only fair!). You know what, if I come across schoold kids crossing a pedestrian crossing where I live, maybe I should speed up and see how many I can take out 'coz it's just ridiculous to hold me up for an extra 23 seconds! I can see how busy you are trying to keep tabs on every post on the hub (you haven't missed one about the cradle yet!) so can just imagine how little free time you have while driving! Must be a tough life being that busy...

On a slightly more related note, if you want to post something, stick to the topic... is dangerous dave or whatever his name is correct in the way he dealt with this situation or not (and try and answer without the words "3 abreast", I think you've killed those by now!)? A simple answer that addresses the question and not what happened to you and cattle-prod ken and co. 3 months ago will suffice...

And anyways, why are you on here at all when you should be outside defending your territory - think how many of those awful, criminal cyclists you might have been able to hoot at and mow down while you've been reading this stupid post! (Maybe some more photo's of red-faced old men while you berate them for their sin of only using 2 wheels will add some humour to this post?)
shaun2312010-01-15 08:01:32

guys common, you are now bickering about things. Be the bigger person admit mistake and ego and respect one another.