Price of Races

Thug

Race orgs don't only cost races to cover their costs which is expensive' date='?some orgs don't even benefit a single cent as any profit made goes to a charity. e.g

?

Carnival

?

Race organizers receive no personal financial benefit from this event. All profits go to Rotary Community Projects, the Rotary Foundation, Germiston Wheelers Charity Projects and the development of amateur cycling in South

?

Emperors

?

All proceeds from the event go to the Little Eden School in Edenvale (No its not some elitist upper class school looking to raise funds but a school for people with Intellectual Disability's)

?

?

Why host an event when at the end of the day all you are able to do is hand over to each recipient?a measly R100.??An argument here is less cost will attract more riders, perhaps but more riders will cost the orgs more anyway.

?

?
[/quote']

About time this was brought up. A very important point for a lot of the races such as The Ride For Sight.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ HappyMartin, for sure races such as RFS and R4V are included, perhaps the motivation should be "what and where does my money go" rather than "how big is the goody bag or will i get a nice shiny medal"

I have read the thread and all i have to say is that if one organiser can make over three bar after all expenses on one event...... You tell me we are not paying too much for entries...... Bull sh*t smiley7.gif Big G2010-01-26 07:14:27

It would also be good if more people got involved and tried at least once a year to wave a flag at a race or mark a route before complaining about the races and the costs and what we get. There is no excuse for poor organisation or dangerous negligence but helping out at a race sure opened my eyes and made me more grateful for the work done. The Fast One was a great example. The marshals stood out in the rain for hours doing there very best to keep us safe. I thought it was a fine effort for R180

I have read the thread and all i have to say is that if one organiser can make over three bar after all expenses on one event...... You tell me we are not paying too much for entries...... Bull sh*t smiley7.gif

Yip. same is if they have to run an office with full time staff for 9 months they can't be doing to badly. But like I said, they sell a product and not one is forcing anybody to buy it. If less people pitch, they will increase the price more to cover costs. Then even less pitch and then they will have to look at why.

You and me both know that the race in question is totally overpriced, but the Mom & Pop cyclist who race once year will continue to support it.

And that is why "we" are doing less races each year . In the good old day we use to go and race almost every weekend , now once a month is a lot . I am also not to flustered if they charge stupid fees for a race . If I really wanna do it then I pay but most of the time I just skip it and rather go for a beer at the pub .

And that is why "we" are doing less races each year . In the good old day we use to go and race almost every weekend ' date=' now once a month is a lot . I am also not to flustered if they charge stupid fees for a race . If I really wanna do it then I pay but most of the time I just skip it and rather go for a beer at the pub .
[/quote']

I agree with that sentiment except for the 'beer at the pub' part Wink (BTW when you in Centurion again?)

Havent read through the endless pages but my take is that I dont mind paying if it's a quality race and the organisers have gone to a lot of effort to organise a memorable ride. As a mtber I want some decent single track with some scenery and something to get the blood flowing. I cannot justify paying a few hundred bucks to ride a district dirt road or q and push the 100m of single track they have squeezed in. I will and do drive very far for races that I believe give me what I am looking for.

As for the cost, I happened to be told the other day what a round of golf costs. Nearly spat my false teeth through the neck of my Heineken bottle. Glad I'm not into little white balls, holes and clubs.

And that is why "we" are doing less races each year . In the good old day we use to go and race almost every weekend ' date=' now once a month is a lot . I am also not to flustered if they charge stupid fees for a race . If I really wanna do it then I pay but most of the time I just skip it and rather go for a beer at the pub .
[/quote']

Saw this with a few mtb races in 2009 where the totals people riding was much less than the previous years some even half of what it was before. 
gremlin2010-01-27 03:08:38

Wife and I were going to ride the Herald MTB and the tandem on the road the next day. We've dumped the tandem idea as its R170 per person to enter. R340 for a 105km race. Add om the entries of the MTB the previous day, you are turning close to R600 worth of entries. To recoup those bucks you pretty much need to get a placing in one of the races.