Irregular heart beat

MuXmAn, you shouldn't be doing hard rides with flu....bad boyAngry You are asking for problems. Easy rides only when sick, the last thing you want to be told you can never ride again cause you've damaged your heart training too hard with flu!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice Pete, the only problem is that he could only get an appointment with a cardiologist in two months time!

Two suggestions:

1. If it happens again try to get to an Emergency Unit ASAP to try to'catch' it on an ECG. Obvioulsy this is ultimately the best way to ID the rhythm, which will help with advice given.

2. If he's in Cape Town I could try to get him an earlier appointment - pm me.

MuXmAn' date=' you shouldn't be doing hard rides with flu....bad boyAngry You are asking for problems. Easy rides only when sick, the last thing you want to be told you can never ride again cause you've damaged your heart training too hard with flu!!!!

[/quote']

Agree 1000%.  A mate of mine died many years ago when he went training when he had the flu.  The virus attacked his heart muscle and he died 3 days after the training.  He was 18 years old.

I know so well that it "hurts" not to be able to train, but in the bigger scheme of things cycling is not that important.
Underachiever2007-07-24 01:40:53

MuXmAn' date=' you shouldn't be doing hard rides with flu....bad boyAngry You are asking for problems. Easy rides only when sick, the last thing you want to be told you can never ride again cause you've damaged your heart training too hard with flu!!!!

[/quote']

Sorry Mom, will take it easy I promise.

Cardiologist, right now. There a guy in CT who also rides, he's one of the best in his field in the country, Doc Andre Saayman, go see him, he understands that we want to ride.

I went for a ride this past w'end after recovering from 2 bouts of flu...even before I started my HR was already at 69%...

• 3 months later...
Cardiologist' date=' right now. There a guy in CT who also rides, he's one of the best in his field in the country, Doc Andre Saayman, go see him, he understands that we want to ride.[/quote']

TitusTi,

My mate has been recovering and training and got some flutters again yesterday!  Can you give me contact details for the Doc?  PM me if possible.  He wants some advice from a fellow cyclist!

I have a very high heart rate. Not sure why..... sometimes when i walk out the door to go and ride, my heart rate is between 100 and 110. Not sure if it is the excitement of the ride or what... but be that as it may..... I normally average at around 150 - 160 . I am not unfit... so not sure what that can be. I had never had heart problems before. Although my dad has an irregular heart rate and they had to stop his heart a couple of times before and get it going again, just to get the rate back to normal.

Ipeens, could be that you are, like me, what is commonly known as a High Beater. I have the same "condition" in that I can avg close to 180bpm in a race with a max of close to 195bpm (and I'm no youngster), although my resting HR has been as low as 42bpm.

However, can't do any harm to have it checked out properly.

Glad this topic came up again as I am still a little concerned about my heart rate.

What I would like to ask is I wear a gold chain around my neck with a name tag on it (I'm doff so every now and again I need to check to see what my name is). Is there any possibility that the gold chain could affect the reading of my heart rate monitor as at times my heart rate reading is 230bpm and for a 36 year old I thnk this is way tooooo high.

Muxman, what kind of HRM are you using. Had the same happen with my "el cheapo" HRM. Since I upgraded to a better brand (still not Polar), this has not happened again.

Very high HR readings on my Polar are sometimes caused by interference from other HR devices or even something like power lines. 230bpm does sound like interference. I don't know if your name-reminder-chain could be the cause of that.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

PokerFace2007-11-08 07:05:34

I also got this Heart flapirations, when I get them I find it hard to breath, it normally only last for a few seconds and my HR would go crazy, like 233bpm, I don't get it ofter, maybe once a month if I'm lucky. Marius2007-11-08 08:38:59