View MTB trail maps-Western Cape

Dan Dob

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No riding today :(

Spent the day updating the maps of Tygerberg MTB trail network. Hillcrest, Bloemendal, Contermanskloof, Meerendal, Hoogekrral and Majik Forrest.

You can check them out on our website here -> http://www.irideafrica.com/trail-maps/

Thanks so much Daniel. We're hoping to add more into the mix in the next few weeks :clap:

I am moving to Hermanus in a few months so looking for some mtb'ing trails/routes please.I guess it is not safe to ride on your own,so looking for a group that goes out regularly but nothing too hectic.

Can someone please recommend a good place to look/start.I see there is a cycle shop over the road from Hemel en Aarde Estate where I am going to be living,they could be worth a visit to check all this out I guess.

PM me when you get here and we can make a plan.

Hi Guys, I have also added True Grit Bike park map to our list of maps. Welvanpas trail maps nearly done-just needing final approval from the trailbuilder!

Oh, and I have also added the Grabouw mtb map. These are the trails at Eikenhof dam, otherwise known as the A-Z trails. Hope it helps in getting more people out there as they are really cool trails (especially in Winter!).

• 4 weeks later...

Hubbers!

Upon enquiring and giving the landowners a proposal of a new trail plan for Lebanon, Lebanon trails gave Harry and myself permission to start building some new trail there.

With the recent fires through the area, and the subsequent logging, the trails have been damaged considerably and many were closed off/blocked up. A lot of rogue riding also meant that money was short when it came to maintenance of the trails-please guys, pay your entry fees! It's a small amount that makes a big difference in the life of a trail.

It turns out that Ian was the only one doing any trail maintenance and simply did not have the time or money to keep the trails flowing, so iRide Africa stepped in and offered our time to help them out. Oak Lane cottages kindly offered us free accommodation while working out there (We're still working out how to get free food as trail work makes one hungry!)

We've spent a week there so far and opened up some of the old sections of the red route (with some mods) and also added in a few short black grade lines, a long section of blue trail and another red route that will become a really long downhill route in the future. We have got some big plans to extend the network further but we'll have to get other volunteers involved to make quick work through the winter months.

Anyway, in short, we've added/fixed up 2.5km of trail and updated the trail map so you can download it and go and ride to help bed the routes in. Remember, they are a work in progress and they will start linking up before long!

http://www.irideafrica.com/portfolio/lebanon-mtb-map/

Hubbers!

Upon enquiring and giving the landowners a proposal of a new trail plan for Lebanon, Lebanon trails gave Harry and myself permission to start building some new trail there.

With the recent fires through the area, and the subsequent logging, the trails have been damaged considerably and many were closed off/blocked up. A lot of rogue riding also meant that money was short when it came to maintenance of the trails-please guys, pay your entry fees! It's a small amount that makes a big difference in the life of a trail.

It turns out that Ian was the only one doing any trail maintenance and simply did not have the time or money to keep the trails flowing, so iRide Africa stepped in and offered our time to help them out. Oak Lane cottages kindly offered us free accommodation while working out there (We're still working out how to get free food as trail work makes one hungry!)

We've spent a week there so far and opened up some of the old sections of the red route (with some mods) and also added in a few short black grade lines, a long section of blue trail and another red route that will become a really long downhill route in the future. We have got some big plans to extend the network further but we'll have to get other volunteers involved to make quick work through the winter months.

Anyway, in short, we've added/fixed up 2.5km of trail and updated the trail map so you can download it and go and ride to help bed the routes in. Remember, they are a work in progress and they will start linking up before long!

http://www.irideafrica.com/portfolio/lebanon-mtb-map/

dan, here hoping Ewald and you guys took some shots... :blush:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What would be the best trail in the western cape when it is hot and the SE is blowing ?

The trails of the Tygerberg are very exposed to sun and wind....

Perhaps Jonkershoek?

• 1 year later...

Hi Hubbers,

I have moved to Cape Town from Somerset West, and I'm keen to explore new trails. I see on Google Maps there is a Lions Head Trail which you can access from Sea Point. Is a SANP Permit required to ride that trail?

I only saw two signboards, one indicating a walking track, and another a cycling track.

Thank you :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Hubbers,

I have moved to Cape Town from Somerset West, and I'm keen to explore new trails. I see on Google Maps there is a Lions Head Trail which you can access from Sea Point. Is a SANP Permit required to ride that trail?

I only saw two signboards, one indicating a walking track, and another a cycling track.

Thank you :)

You need an activity permit for any mtb riding in the TMNP areas. The trail you refer to is accessible from either Top Road or Glengariff Road from the Atlantic Sea Board side. 

That is if you have not received your answer yet. PM me is you need any more info.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi hubbers

I have been busy making a few maps of the most popular mountain bike destinations around Cape Town. I have put them on our website here. http://irideafrica.com/trail-maps/

They are  rather basic (We use them for general guidelines-NOT NAVIGATION!)

Let me know your thoughts and where else you want mapped (Contermanskloof and Hillcrest coming at some point)

Awesome stuff, Im a beginner rider and this helps alot thank you !!! 

• 7 months later...

Hi Hubbers, Just to let you know that we've updated the Jonkershoek map.

For you map lovers we've also introcduced a series of high quality trail maps to buy and display in your home or bike cave. You can buy the poster or get us to frame it for you in a beautiful, high quality wooden box frame.

Check them out here https://www.irideafrica.com/dirt-maps/

We've also done a few custom maps already and I think the 2019 Enduro Champs might be a best seller to those enduro okes ;)

Edited by iRide