MTB Hubs Debate

Caerus

I've had AC, DT Swiss 240's and Hopes, the only one's that did not give any problems were the DT Swiss ones/ 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big H
I've had AC' date=' DT Swiss 240's and Hopes, the only one's that did not give any problems were the DT Swiss ones/  [/quote']

Maybe becuase the mud in the Cape Colony blocked all the holes in the Swiss cheese!!!!!!!

I had hopes and then hope pro2's - now my latest wheels were built with XT's - cant beat the value for money there....

for what its worth both sets of Hope hubs I had were black........all these colours get tired quickly although I do like the look of anodized green......but next year i won't......

Man I wish these coloured coded hubs and stuff will die a silent death. Its like putting fur on your dash and a bobbing dog in the rear window. You dont put green mags on your car..why should your bike be different?

Anyway...I'll go with good old boring shimano hubs. They will outlast any of these niche brands' date=' and the performance should be equal if not better.
[/quote']

You mean this type.........

20100512_053747_P6190447.JPG

Ouch

Wink

I've had AC' date=' DT Swiss 240's and Hopes, the only one's that did not give any problems were the DT Swiss ones/  [/quote']

I've had DT Swiss on my road and mtb for years (ok the ones on my mtb say Bontrager but if you look closer it says DT) and never had a problem.

TBH the LBS mech did warn me that the DT Swiss hubs dont like a hose pipe pointed at them, but then again I dont wash my bike very often...

Man I wish these coloured coded hubs and stuff will die a silent death. Its like putting fur on your dash and a bobbing dog in the rear window. You dont put green mags on your car..why should your bike be different?

Anyway...I'll go with good old boring shimano hubs. They will outlast any of these niche brands' date=' and the performance should be equal if not better.
[/quote']

You mean this type.........

20100512_053747_P6190447.JPG

Ouch

Wink

Hey...some folks can pull it off..LOL

1st: Chris King

2nd: Hope Pro 2

shamano = fishing reels

SHIMANO also makes fishing reels, quite interesting.

I have 355's on hope pro2 and loving them at the moment' date=' Can't comment on the others but they all have good reputations. My wheels really make a difference when it comes to climbing, just feels easier. Get a custom built pair, you might wait a bit longer but well worth it. PM JB[/quote'] I got the same and I'm very happy with them. The noisy hubs let the takkie brigade know your coming in lap races too.

1st: Chris King
2nd: Hope Pro 2

shamano = fishing reels

I am with you on the Chris King hubs. Those bearings are just as good as Shimano's bearings.  But I don't undestand this thing about Hope hubs. Those things use O-rings to seal. Using O-rings on rotating parts isn't much of a seal.

IMO No 1 priority on an MTB hub is well sealed bearings. I started with MTB in 1994. The first LX hubs were really just road jobs re badged. They had no sealing at all to speak of - I was forever servicing them. Now we have the likes of XT hubs which will go for years (4) without a service. Well, they should not, but I did and after a regrease and so on, they are play free and pretty smooth.

I agree with JB - and in hindsight I would perhaps have reconsidered my recent  XT wheelset purchase. Those funny spokes and nipples are not easy to find and probably very expensive...

CRC has been out of Hope Pro 2's 32H for weeks now... anyone have an idea what's going on there?

I hear you....I had a set on wishlist and eventually gave up and looked elsewhere. You can get them on set of Stans rims from Notubes.com, maar dan gaan jy hoes

1st: Chris King 2nd: Hope Pro 2 shamano = fishing reels

?

I am with you on the Chris King hubs. Those bearings are just as good as Shimano's bearings.? But I don't undestand this thing about Hope hubs. Those things use O-rings to seal. Using O-rings on rotating parts isn't much of a seal.

?

?

Hi Johan,

I agree wrt the Hope hubs, however, I can say from my experience, that I have a set that has been on a bike for over 4 years and has never been serviced, cleaned or fussed with in any way. They remain perfect and thats on a well hard ridden AM bike. The Chris Kings are something else. They are very expensive, but are like butter. The rear hub functionally is different and because of not having inner pawls are always engaged. This is not such a biggie for some, but I like that a lot.

Shimano, personally, I've never liked their products. probably not much wrong with them, but when it comes to drivetrains, I'd take SRAM products over just about anything (although the Rohloff is calling me a lot these days)