MTB Races getting too Technical?

Aggies

Are MTB races being made too Technical?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are MTB races being made too Technical?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget that Logwood is also re-openning this weekend. I heard that they also have a couple of challenging sections.

Good news for those who like technical and challenging riding

Maybe a couple of more holes in the roof LOL

Sorry Shakes I went offline to earn some bucks! I have been at it for roughly three months. I am quite comfortable with Groenkloof and most of Fountains. 

Babbas I rate as easy but I got my butt kicked at Avianto ( more because of the length and gradient of the climbs than its technicality. I was clearly not ready for it but felt a great sense of achievement completing.
River Rat2010-05-26 04:50:29

PowerBalance is a houx... google it; it's bullsh*t, don't waste your money. I can sell you a bigger piece of rubber for way less than that.

Canaris listed a bunch of spots for an analogy of technical trails.... but sacrilige has occured' date=' he left out Teak Place and van Gaalen, both meccas in their own right. Especially van Gaalen!

Shame on you Canaris, a month of commuting by tricycle!!
[/quote']

Dont forget that Logwood is also re-openning this weekend. I heard that they also have a couple of challenging sections.

Really? Would be awesome if Logwood opens up again. Where did you hear about it?

Find yourself a short course say 4 - 6 km long; with some technical stuff in it; and do laps; you will see the more laps you do the better you will get; and your fitness will improve. also try balancing on the bike in the backyard; just stay on the bike; don't pedal, just balance.... also excercise your core muscles, it will improve your balance and then some.

Canaris listed a bunch of spots for an analogy of technical trails.... but sacrilige has occured' date=' he left out Teak Place and van Gaalen, both meccas in their own right. Especially van Gaalen!

[/quote']

my apologies.  But I have yet to taste those trails.  I ask for my sentence to be commuted to 4 laps of Groenkloof on a single speed.

[/quote']

Really? Would be awesome if Logwood opens up again. Where did you hear about it?

I got an email from my cycling club. They are having a big carnival this weekend for the re-launch. It also wont be run by an outside company anymore, so they are dropping the prices from R50 to R30.

[/quote']

Big%20smile

The general feeling of most riders I spoke to (middle to end of pack) is of the opinion that race organizers is getting it wrong. They are making races too technical.

Fact is that 90% of MTB riders only get to train on offroad once a week and maybe get some minor technical routes once a month. To expect all to hit the same technical stuff as pros becomes rediculous.

I am refering to the fact that the general sosial rider is starting to find it too difficult.

I am interested to hear how you did your poll? 90% of all MTB riders is thousands of people - was there a website somewhere that I missed?

The guys I ride with (including myself) find a lot of things 'too technical' to ride, I wanted to change this so I went with people who boasts better technical skills than myself and workshopped technical sections over and over and over. I still ride around some obstacles that they effortlessly fly over, but I believe I am growing in skill.

As long as they have chicken runs for those that find drop and jumps to technical, it is still fair IMHO. If you are referring to climbs, there I agree with you - they should build a shuttle service at every MTB trail!

There is a difference between technical and too steep to ride up. NOBODY could ride up a couple of hundered meters of the Keeromberg ride this past weekend, and the middle route included the same section of unrideable hills as the long route. 

There is a difference between technical and too steep to ride up. NOBODY could ride up a couple of hundered meters of the Keeromberg ride this past weekend' date=' and the middle route included the same section of unrideable hills as the long route. [/quote']

Only the one hill was truely unrideable, true. But thats part of the game, getting a curve ball here and there. That was challenging even to climb not on a cycle.

Including it in the 50km, by all means. But maybe should have considered not taking the 35km over it.

Loved the technical down the other side though.

[/quote']

?

?

Big%20smile

That's awesome! I loved riding there! Darkside, Sugar bowl, etc. lots of good memories

The races have never been too technical, they're not really technical at all currently, if they made them more technical that would be nice.

If you cant ride off road, then ride road races!!! You cant spoil the fun of other riders just because you dont know how to ride a mountain bike.