MTB Races getting too Technical?

Aggies

Are MTB races being made too Technical?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are MTB races being made too Technical?

• YES
    • NO

The main problem is JHB races are so roadie style compaired to KZN and Cape races...Up here we have races that are either grass cut single track or spams of jeep/district road riding (BORING)

Bring on more technical/challenging course in JHB...PLEASE!!!

With pleasure, come do the Magalies Monster this weekend and let us know if that's technical enough for you!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MTB in South Africa grew extremely fast over the last two years!

?

The general feeling of most riders I spoke to (middle to end of pack) is of the opinion that race organizers is getting it wrong. They are making races too technical.

?

You would have had a wonderful experience during a specific race in 2009' date=' just to find the "new" route for 2010 being too technical.

?

Fact is that 90% of MTB riders only get to train on offroad once a week and maybe get some minor technical routes once a month. To expect all to hit the same technical stuff as pros becomes rediculous.

?

Take the MTN series as an example: People that have done both the 75 and 50 at Clarens vowed never to do it again!!

?

The general suggestion is to make the normal Marathons and Half Marathons fair to 90% of riders.

?

Leave the serious technical stuff for areas within the Ultra Marathons and for XC.

?

You present the riders, please express your opinion and also think about the sosial riders that will not be hub members.
[/quote'] Good example was the Argus MTB race this year 90 % of the field walked in some places and sat under the vines drinking juice !!! yes make it technical but not unrideable for the average MT biker . I agree 100% with you smiley32.gif

Which 90%? I think at least 50% of the field finished their races and?everyone took strain?because it was 42 deg C if not hotter in places en?route.? Nothing to do with the route itself unless you are suggesting the organisers arranged the weather too. If you are a "social rider" as we all are actually, pick the distance that suits your fitness and skill level?and if you take strain train some more and then some more and so on. Simple really.
weather was not a problem granted yes it was hot but there were just too many places that were unrideable for the average rider and with the large field it was compounded even more . I just feel make it difficult with steep climbs hairy decents nice and rocky great but make it rideable you get areas where you just cant ride its impossible for the average rider and i feel those places are just too many !!!

Not even a little bit!!

I think in the last 2 years races such as MTN (and others) have steped up to the plate to provide much better routes. They are becoming more technical' date=' but are not unridable.

If you riding a dual suspension, and you think its too technical, maybe you should stick to road riding and craiter cruise.

[/quote']

Maybe the hub was the wrong place for such a poll as you are all diehard MTB'ers.

I personally don't have a problem with Technical stuff as I am in the same category.

I am refering to the fact that the general sosial rider is starting to find it too difficult.

Don't we want to grow the sport?

I do every race possible and have at least 10 close friends that also try the sport. Most are getting reluctant to enter as they don't enjoy it anymore. Who is losing? The sport.

By the way, it is related to the shorter distance where you will find the newcomers and the sosial people. The people that starts with a R4k bike and out to enjoy it and admire your skills.

I have noticed a decline in participation at some events.

Maybe the answer is to have more XC races for the experienced riders and be aware of the fact to grow the interest with marathons.

I personally would like there to at least be some shorter races that are more technical.   Most 'short' distances are boring.

How about some race organisers doing a '30k' 'easy' and a '30' 'hard' (technical)?  Distance isn't everything....

we need a nice mix of races... at the moment the trend feels like its all getting to 'easy' (technically)

Western Cape MTB Commission is working on a Technical Rating System.

Events will be rated from 1 Star to 4 Stars.

1 = open provincial roads

2 = provincial roads with some jeep track

3 = mostly jeep track, could have single track, rated technical

4 = single track, jeep track, your typical XCO event TECHNICAL

Event Organisers will be asked to give a description of their traisl for 2011 sanctioning of events.

hope this makes sense?

knippie2010-05-27 03:34:54

Interesting discussion this!

Personally, I gave up racing years agao because the races weren't technical enough. I still consider this the case for most races.

Knippie, a rating system would go a far way in getting the correct kind of riders to the races that suit them. Good thinking!

I think toning down races would be the wrong move. I guide 'begginner' European and American riders regularly on our trails in SA  and they all cope on our trails just fine because they have learnt to use their body and bikes properly from friends or instructors. Lessons work!

I do agree that there is nothing fun about massive sand sections and tufty grass singeltrack though, but SA must not get left behind in the mountain biking world!

More singletrack!! (flowing and technical)-it's the very essence of mountain biking.

Interesting discussion this!Personally' date=' I gave up racing years agao because the races weren't technical enough. I still consider this the case for most races.Knippie, a rating system would go a far way in getting the correct kind of riders to the races that suit them. Good thinking!I think toning down races would be the wrong move. I guide 'begginner' European and American riders regularly on our trails in SA? and they all cope on our trails just fine because they have learnt to use their body and bikes properly from friends or instructors. Lessons work!I do agree that there is nothing fun about massive sand sections and tufty grass singeltrack though, but SA must not get left behind in the mountain biking world! More singletrack!! (flowing and technical)-it's the very essence of mountain biking.

[/quote']

It is really irksome when you drive a long way, pay your entry are really excited RE the ST and technical challenges that should only be attempted by experienced riders in the marketing brochure to be really disappointed when the ride turns out to be rather timid.

Western Cape MTB Commission is working on a Technical Rating System.

Events will be rated from 1 Star to 4 Stars.

1 = open provincial roads

2 = provincial roads with some jeep track

3 = mostly jeep track' date=' could have single track, rated technical

4 = single track, jeep track, your typical XCO event TECHNICAL

Event Organisers will be asked to give a description of their traisl for 2011 sanctioning of events.

hope this makes sense?

[/quote']

At last some valuable data and I include Idejong?s  winner?s speed framework here. These are a far cry from the if can?t you swallow razor blades, drink diesel and p*ss fire you shouldn?t be on a MTBike brigade .

It would be great to see organisers in Gauteng adopt the same grading system. It would most likely be too late for me as noobie because I have bought the razor blades, siphoned some diesel out of the car but the fire pissing is only a mild burning sensation at this stage. But just wait, hell hath no fury like 95kg of fire p*ssing quivering passion on a fearless  pursuit of glory down a single track!Evil%20Smile

We (WCMBC) are encouraging more techinical races as we need to move closer to UCI standards.

There will always be a good mix of races out there, we just need to label them right.  the last thing you want is a family with small kids pitching up for a race that is really techinical.  Obviously they're also waisting time and money going out to such an event and the same goes for your really techinical riders rocking up for a 1 star event and getting bored out of his/her mind!

Maybe we can start this by getting feedback from riders about events up on the www.wcmtb.co.za website, you rate the technicality of the event and we confirm this from the event organisers?

Sporty what do you say?  Is it possible?
knippie2010-05-27 04:27:35

Technical and unrideable are two very different concepts and vary for different skill level.

Where organisers miss the point is having 70 kays of boring district road and then throw in some "technical" riding which is more of a portage in the name of spicing the route up. Thats not cool. Have an obstacle here and there where you can ride or walk if your skills/guts are not quite up to it but often these things end up in bottle necks where no one can ride anyway.

Another point of view is that too many riders are expecting a "trail ride" from their race experience. You wont get this and its unfair to expect the organisers to achieve this kind or ride.

ONLY TWO OPTIONS FOR THIS PREDICAMENT.

UP YOUR SKILL LEVELS

OR

INDOOR TRAINER.

MTB RACES ARE ALREADY WAY TO EASY REMOVING ANY TECHNICAL WILL JUST DESTROY THE SPORT.

ADVICE TO ANY NOVICE.SPEND TIME WORKING ON YOUR SKILLS.

What is technical for one is easy for another. I hate the one part of the Boulders ride in Toaki, come off a few times and hurt myself and my two friends usally ride it without a hassle. But i still ride it to try master it.  So for me that is unrideable at the moment..But to ride a timid  piece of ST is noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Only thing i think twice at is Dh sections.

I personally would like there to at least be some shorter races that are more technical.   Most 'short' distances are boring.

How about some race organisers doing a '30k' 'easy' and a '30' 'hard' (technical)?  Distance isn't everything....

we need a nice mix of races... at the moment the trend feels like its all getting to 'easy' (technically)

post of the week !!!!

was interesting a while ago (long while ago) chatting to TitusTi and Minty about the TransAlps and Trans Rocky rides and what is regarded as technical overseas and what is regarded as technical in South Africa. Must say was a bit of an eye opener. I like the idea of a 30km "hard" section and 30k easy farm road section.

mtb shouldnt be easy... all the kzn races are technical and you never hear people moaning. Its the way its meant to be. If we want future world champs we better start them early on technical stuff

I started MTB in Jan 2006 and broke my elbow in three places after just 100 meters on my first attempt at single track (Mamba - Tokai). Four operations later, I've got the physical and mental scars to show for it. When I first got back onto the bike (Dec 2006), I couldn't even mount a pavement!! Seriously. But now, except for uphill single track (too unfit!), I enjoy all types of technical terrain. Why? Because I would do the races each weekend, and just tackle the unknown. And if it intimidates me, I just get off. A rating system would certainly be useful before staring a race, but should not be a deciding factor to do it or not. Bring on the technical stuff.

P.S. As part of the rating system, if a race is advertised with a certain distance, then PLEASE can the race be that distance - nothing more and nothing less. As a diabetic, correct planning of refueling and hydration is critical during a race (more so than for the normal MTBer). Profiles are also exceptionally helpful.