MTB Races getting too Technical?

Aggies

Are MTB races being made too Technical?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are MTB races being made too Technical?

• YES
    • NO

Currently 85.05% say it is not too technical with the other 14.95% saying it is too technical ...

I say More Tech Routes, More Often :)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just glanced through the pages so apologies if Im repeating anything.

Don't feel any of the races should be changed, thats what makes the sport awesome, the uniqueness  of each race, whether the half/full/ultra. 

Instead ask around and try easy to mid level races before jumping into something you might end up not enjoying.

A good rule of thumb (does not work always), have a look at the avg speed of the previous winner -

>30km/h - Flat/easy (eg Babbas)

27 - 30 km/h - Fast race, very doable (eg Blockhouse)

24 - 26km/h - Can get technical, could be hilly (eg Induna)

21- 24km/h - Very tough, expect a good climb (eg Higveld race)

<21km/h - Expect to bleed out of every orifice (eg Magalies)

Enjoy!

Oh and ignore all the "go and ride on the road" comments.  We all started somewhere.  I started in Jan09, and I included technical bits in as many training sessions as I could every week, and over time became more comfortable without noticing much improvement.

Did Sabie Classic's 75km this year and then only realised how far I came when I blasted past the newbs down the downhills in the last ~10km where we joined up with the half marathon.  It was a great feeling.  Now I feel the same as these other tjops, the more technical the better.

This poll should be:

Too many South Africans think mountainbiking means riding a hardtail with semi slick tyres and a flatbar? Yes / No...

This poll should be:

Too many South Africans think mountainbiking means riding a hardtail with semi slick tyres and a flatbar? Yes / No...

Too many think MTBing is riding on farm roads. I'm happy with the term off-road or dirt riding. Only the guys that actually go down a mountain on a proper rig is doing mountain biking.

This poll should be:

Too many think MTBing is riding on farm roads. I'm happy with the term off-road or dirt riding. Only the guys that actually go down a mountain on a proper rig is doing mountain biking.

Wait till the Downhillers get here !!!

Canaris has got it spot on. The term technical needs to be define and understood properly. You will always come across section that are not really worth riding if you race but the challenge is always nice and it improves your skill level. There is no shame in walking a section that you feel is too technical but remember that it is most probably very ridable for the next guy so don't walk on the line. The shame lies in the fact that people want to walk the easy line and create new tracks to bypass some 'difficult' section. That way you will never ever improve.

Track builders can also get it wrong but that does not mean it's too technical. Good example in my view are some of the sections at Voortrekker monument. Having a switchback on an uphill single track immediately followed by a sharp sudden step up is not too technical in my opinion but it is just not good track design. Same with a drop off on a down hill single track immediately followed by a 90 degree turn.

A 'two' aspect rating scale would be great for races:

A 'technicality' rating (A - whatever): with definitions....

An 'endurance' rating (not much - lots):  measure of how 'fit' you need to be (hills vs flats kind of thing)

Add the rating next to the distance and then you can pick your ride.  If you're a newbie go for the easy technical easy endurance requirement ride and you'll be happy.  Granted technicality does add to endurance but it does help.

Examples:

Current provincial / national XC rides probably fall in the mid-technical high endurance category while

Downhill would probably be high technical mid-low endurance

Amarider 100miler low/no technical high endurance

Eselfontein: mid technical mid-high endurance for the 40 & 65k distances

I live by 3 rules when it comes to mountain biking...

1. No mountain no ride

2. Rain & Mud = no ride

3. Anything that is like the Magalies Monster = No ride.

That's what makes MTB so appealing. 1 - getting fitter & stronger & 2 - getting better technical skills!

If their's no technical challenge - you might as well stay on the road...

I live by 3 rules when it comes to mountain biking...1. No mountain no ride2. Rain & Mud = no ride3. Anything that is like the Magalies Monster = No ride.

that does not even sound like a proper road ride.

I live by 3 rules when it comes to mountain biking...1. No mountain no ride2. Rain & Mud = no ride3. Anything that is like the Magalies Monster = No ride.

that does not even sound like a proper road ride.

that is the perfect ride Big%20smile

Maybe there should rather be a category called off road or dirt road riding for people that doesn't want to ride any technical stuff. I think one can make a lot of money catering for people that want to go on a nice leisurely ride and get a medal at the end of the ride. Thumbs%20Up

Maybe there should rather be a category called off road or dirt road riding for people that doesn't want to ride any technical stuff. I think one can make a lot of money catering for people that want to go on a nice leisurely ride and get a medal at the end of the ride. Thumbs%20Up

I would think that events such as

Crater Cruise

&

Trans Baviaans

fit that category?

Even S2C?

I enjoy all of those.

I'd be keen but I reckon you can make more money by not giving everyone a medal. Just the top 3!