MTB Races getting too Technical?

Aggies

Are MTB races being made too Technical?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are MTB races being made too Technical?

• YES
    • NO

Just keep in mind that the MTN Serries are national events thus being of National event standards.

MTB in South Africa grew extremely fast over the last two years!

The general feeling of most riders I spoke to (middle to end of pack) is of the opinion that race organizers is getting it wrong. They are making races too technical.

You would have had a wonderful experience during a specific race in 2009' date=' just to find the "new" route for 2010 being too technical.

Fact is that 90% of MTB riders only get to train on offroad once a week and maybe get some minor technical routes once a month. To expect all to hit the same technical stuff as pros becomes rediculous.

Take the MTN series as an example: People that have done both the 75 and 50 at Clarens vowed never to do it again!!

The general suggestion is to make the normal Marathons and Half Marathons fair to 90% of riders.

Leave the serious technical stuff for areas within the Ultra Marathons and for XC.

You present the riders, please express your opinion and also think about the sosial riders that will not be hub members.
[/quote']

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there should rather be a category called off road or dirt road riding for people that doesn't want to ride any technical stuff. I think one can make a lot of money catering for people that want to go on a nice leisurely ride and get a medal at the end of the ride. Thumbs%20Up

There is its called cyclocross they even make special bikes for it.

I've always felt the shorter routes in SA could be easier.  Not everyone is as hardcore as you guys pretend to be.  Some people really want a less technical (read: without long sand stretches or ridiculous rocks) and more FUN (read: twisty, flowing singletrack).

It doesn't have to be impossible to be fun.  I've been grinning ear-to-ear when riding flat 8km loop routes, because the guys who designed the course thought about making it fun.  Yes, fun can be tough, but tough doesn't necesarily make it fun.

Variety is what you want

Maybe there should rather be a category called off road or dirt road riding for people that doesn't want to ride any technical stuff. I think one can make a lot of money catering for people that want to go on a nice leisurely ride and get a medal at the end of the ride. Thumbs%20Up

There is its called cyclocross they even make special bikes for it.

Really?  You haven't actually been to a cyclocross race right? 

Cyclocross=pain.  You don't want to go there.

Beach Cruiser class -  no mountains, downhill, switchback, drop offs, uphill, suspension, diskbrakes, tubeless wheels, suspension seat post, riser bars (looking at the sample picture cancel that) required.

Can save a fortune on unnecessary accessories and start a new trend in cycle ?racing?<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Confused

20100526_074041_fashionista_pin.jpg

Beach Cruiser class -  no mountains' date=' downhill, switchback, drop offs, uphill, suspension, diskbrakes, tubeless wheels, suspension seat post, riser bars (looking at the sample picture cancel that) required.

Can save a fortune on unnecessary accessories and start a new trend in cycle ?racing?<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Confused

[/quote'] Swiss, THIS is a beach race.  No cruisers allowed. 

20100526_075358_HRF_0080s.jpg

Beach Cruiser class -  no mountains' date=' downhill, switchback, drop offs, uphill, suspension, diskbrakes, tubeless wheels, suspension seat post, riser bars (looking at the sample picture cancel that) required.

Confused

[/quote'] Swiss, THIS is a beach race.  No cruisers allowed. 

20100526_075358_HRF_0080s.jpg

I said Beach Cruiser class ! not Beach Class.

Your beach race involves sand which is also listed somewhere in this thread as being technical - i think it was you nogal Wink

I think the technical aspect of different distances shoud go in line with age categories: U12(sprogs) are allowed to race only up to 25km (?) and some 75km-route monster climbs might be just to much for them. Youth = 40km; Juniors = 75k.

Reference for adults: no ability/fitness = shorter ride.

29pgc102010-05-26 08:49:39

Not even a little bit!!

I think in the last 2 years races such as MTN (and others) have steped up to the plate to provide much better routes. They are becoming more technical' date=' but are not unridable.

If you riding a dual suspension, and you think its too technical, maybe you should stick to road riding and craiter cruise.

[/quote']

Maybe the hub was the wrong place for such a poll as you are all diehard MTB'ers.

I personally don't have a problem with Technical stuff as I am in the same category.

I am refering to the fact that the general sosial rider is starting to find it too difficult.

Don't we want to grow the sport?

I do every race possible and have at least 10 close friends that also try the sport. Most are getting reluctant to enter as they don't enjoy it anymore. Who is losing? The sport.

By the way, it is related to the shorter distance where you will find the newcomers and the sosial people. The people that starts with a R4k bike and out to enjoy it and admire your skills.

I have noticed a decline in participation at some events.

Maybe the answer is to have more XC races for the experienced riders and be aware of the fact to grow the interest with marathons.

You grow the sport by pushing the boundaries - the people you have polled pushing thir bikes up some rutted hills need to improve their riding skills not have the race dumbed down to match their lack of skills. They also need to work on their skills on their own - i.e get out and ride and not look to race organisers to help them learn. Frankly, I think races are too untechnical and boring - thankfully we have gr8 scenery in the Cape to make up for it...

I thought this poll was an April Fools joke - then I realised we were already in MayTongue

MTB in South Africa grew extremely fast over the last two years!

The general feeling of most riders I spoke to (middle to end of pack) is of the opinion that race organizers is getting it wrong. They are making races too technical.

You would have had a wonderful experience during a specific race in 2009' date=' just to find the "new" route for 2010 being too technical.

Fact is that 90% of MTB riders only get to train on offroad once a week and maybe get some minor technical routes once a month. To expect all to hit the same technical stuff as pros becomes rediculous.

Take the MTN series as an example: People that have done both the 75 and 50 at Clarens vowed never to do it again!!

The general suggestion is to make the normal Marathons and Half Marathons fair to 90% of riders.

Leave the serious technical stuff for areas within the Ultra Marathons and for XC.

You present the riders, please express your opinion and also think about the sosial riders that will not be hub members.
[/quote']

Good example was the Argus MTB race this year 90 % of the field walked in some places and sat under the vines drinking juice !!! yes make it technical but not unrideable for the average MT biker . I agree 100% with you smiley32.gif

Which 90%? I think at least 50% of the field finished their races and everyone took strain because it was 42 deg C if not hotter in places en route.  Nothing to do with the route itself unless you are suggesting the organisers arranged the weather too. If you are a "social rider" as we all are actually, pick the distance that suits your fitness and skill level and if you take strain train some more and then some more and so on. Simple really.

For me the Crater Cruise is very difficult .The race became more tecnical over the years (the section over the koppie and next to the river)but what breaks me every year is the distance causing cramps and other problems .

The main problem is JHB races are so roadie style compaired to KZN and Cape races...Up here we have races that are either grass cut single track or spams of jeep/district road riding (BORING)

Bring on more technical/challenging course in JHB...PLEASE!!!

if technical skill is your problem, why dont you improve and focus on that area... there are places that offer skills training, or browse youtube if you dont wat to spend money, but dont blame the race, thank the organizers instead, they have worked hard to give you something to ride, so enjoy it and improve your bike skills, there is only one person to blae if you cant ride it, and its nobody else but you,