What is happening to the Hub?

gummibear

In my opinion, a person should only be able to post a classified when he/she has had at least 50 decent posts (I say decent ie thread contributing posts and not spam) and as far as I'm concerned should be a post only with NO discussion at all.

Also a more active involvement from Mods (if we know who they are) can nip potential troublesome posts / threads in the bud before they are allowed to take root.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion' date=' a person should only be able to post a classified when he/she has had at least 50 decent posts (I say decent ie thread contributing posts and not spam) and as far as I'm concerned should be a post only with NO discussion at all.

Also a more active involvement from Mods (if we know who they are) can nip potential troublesome posts / threads in the bud before they are allowed to take root.

[/quote']

whats a mod ?LOL

and when you going to post some more photos of your races ?Angry those AR ones Big%20smile

hehe, haven't done an AR since The Bull of Africa. Smile

But getting back on topic, a further point is that someone who advertises in the classifieds and its apparent from the number of "bumps" and continuous posts that the person is making money from the product, in my opinion, that person should then pay for his/her advert.

ok read all the posts and well ...report the crack and remove from site ..bikes etc only!!! when you see sh*t tell them its sh*t ....

oh and lets all just get on ....classifieds do so well on this site because we all trying to save money !!!! race reports are everywhere ..

The Hub classifieds is a great place to buy and sell upgraded components etc. It's generally a tough, knowledgeable crowd and your chances of being ripped-off are smaller than most other internet trading spaces. If you see what looks like a scam - shout.

Perhaps there could be a buyer / seller feedback and rating system to sort the good from the bad?

Classifieds needs to have a section on its own and not be part of the forum,but it's not only the classifieds.

It's the guys trashing each other or shops with nothing to support there claims.

I have bought and sold a lot of goods on here and i have no problem with it,it's just all the shady adds that are popping up and when guys get suckered they are going to blame the Hub for it. 

IMHO - the hub has become a sales site. Its just classifieds with not much else happening. But , have seen some of the other forumns I subscribe to that have quieted down as well. They're all gatvol of each other...

Sniff' date=' sniff..... Can't we all just get along?

[/quote']

It's to much sales competition!!!!

Hello dear peoples! My name she is Linkidkwa Gobella Ntshanilabonatshwa and I am the widows of former Financial Director for the Gabon Nashinal Electricalism Suply Company. I am needs to get my Dogmas from this country. Send me R20K in my bank and I send you my Dogmas. You can also get my Sliverblacks from Cash crusaders. Thank you. This is not Spim Spam. This is a geniune massage. Pleese forwad it two your frends and you will be very lucky in the next 5 minuts.

Hahaha, post of the day!

Hi guys,

I've read through the thread and tend to agree with all of the comments.

First off I think it'll be good to give everyone a bit of background on my side. Having started The Hub in 2004 I was quite actively involved through my varsity years. From the beginning of 2009 I took up a 8-5 job with a corporate and work on The Hub took somewhat of a back seat having to be an after hours hobby really. Recently I made the decision to leave my corporate job and begin work on The Hub full-time. There are many many things Hubbers have been asking for and the site itself is in desperate need of a makeover.

I know there have been promises of a "new look" Hub and new forum software for some time with no delivery. The simple truth is that the upgrade was too bigger task for me alone to undertake on an after hours basis. That said, since the beginning of the month I've been working hard on the move to the new site and have made good progress.

I've pegged the date of 12 June to do the migration to the new platform. If the testing and setup of the new hosting servers goes well (which I expect it will) I'm confident that deadline will be met.

Regarding the scammers / spammers posting on The Hub - it is quite a problem. There are really two kinds of these posts. First the automated "spam bot" type posts "selling" anything from cellphones to shoes. These kind of ads plague many forums across the net. Generally these are pretty easy to spot and we'll get reports quickly from members and delete them.

The second type are the seemingly legitimate bike related sales. Of course these are a lot more difficult to point out, but I've found hubbers are generally pretty savvy and cautious when it comes to this.

As for The Hub becoming a Classifieds site, yes, to an extent this has been the trend. The classifieds has grown substantially in the last two years and has definitely overtaken the general cycling discussion. That said, the cycling related discussion hasn't diminished, the amount of classifieds post have just grown more. Whilst there are issues around the negativity of posts I still believe (and know) that there are great, informative posts coming through, but certainly agree that this needs to increase.

I could go on and on, but I think the key message from my side is just to say that I am now fully committed to the success of The Hub. It's always been a great passion of mine and I'm excited to see it grow in all respects.

I welcome your comments, questions and suggestions.

- Matt

Admin

Thanks for a great response.

If I may add I would have to say that my personal opinion is that the hub suffers from a lack of moderation.

I know this is difficult to try and control but moderators could be appointed in he various forums.

I feel that one such forum is the classifieds section, too many personal opinions and comments sometimes tend to distract people away from the sale and ultimately no sale gets made.

The other problem is the haggling and I believe that some bikes sell for ridiculous amounts because of haggling, this haggling makes anything appear worthless and overpriced and ultimately peeps sell for any amount they feel "the hubbers" deem it worth out of pure desperation.