Degreaser

Gregzilla

Well that Prepsol has got RED #5 in it, when u get hyperactive don't say u weren't warned!! smiley29.gif smiley5.gif smiley11.gif

LMAO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so here is the question.

I use 50% prepsol (diluted with water) to soak the chain before it gets shaken in a coke bottle. There are loads of black gunky bits that come off. Following this I put the chain into turps and even more gunk came out (i have a 5l trum for dirty turps and spirits - when full i take it to the local paint shop and they send it away).

The question is - is it good for the chain to have all the gunk (grease?) removed?

Red hot products make a degreaser that will remove chrome from a tow bar!!

Its not the most environmentally friendly stuff, but hell it works a charm!

Here's my cleaning equipment. I only use the parafin once in a while since it strips all the grease completely. I spray the chain' date=' let it soak for 10 minutes. Then I spray the cleen green, let it soak for 10 minutes. Then I wash it off with a gentle spray from the hosepipe or from the spray bottle. No scrubbing or brushes needed. I learnt this from the LBS when I told them that the normal cleaning stuff was too expensive, and they let me into their secret. Then I take my bike inside after drying and spray Mr Min. I use Mr Min because my bikes are female (I don't mount male bikes) and they like to smell nice, except for my MTB which is on the butch side and doesn't like smelling nice. Just be careful where you clean with the parafin. I put braai logs under the groupset to catch most of it. Then as Stewie says, lube your chain properly afterwards.

20100531_053827_Bike_Washsm.jpg  
[/quote']

What Application is that running on the Laptop?

R100 for 5 liters is quite expensive. I buy it in 220l drums and it works out at R250 for 25 liters. But the effort and schlepp of decanting is another story.

Just got a 25lt drum from Allijam in Polly street Jo'Burg R280.00.

If prepsol is the magic stuff and enviromentaly friendly too boot tell me where do I purchase it ? at the LBs or at the local hardware.

Here's my cleaning equipment. I only use the parafin once in a while since it strips all the grease completely. I spray the chain' date=' let it soak for 10 minutes. Then I spray the cleen green, let it soak for 10 minutes. Then I wash it off with a gentle spray from the hosepipe or from the spray bottle. No scrubbing or brushes needed. I learnt this from the LBS when I told them that the normal cleaning stuff was too expensive, and they let me into their secret. Then I take my bike inside after drying and spray Mr Min. I use Mr Min because my bikes are female (I don't mount male bikes) and they like to smell nice, except for my MTB which is on the butch side and doesn't like smelling nice. Just be careful where you clean with the parafin. I put braai logs under the groupset to catch most of it. Then as Stewie says, lube your chain properly afterwards.

20100531_053827_Bike_Washsm.jpg  
[/quote']

What Application is that running on the Laptop?

What you are looking at on the laptop is the message box on the Hub site.

What you are looking at on the laptop is the message box on the Hub site.

Aaaah I see now yeah

• 7 years later...

any new tips and tricks of getting the chain clean?

Lucky for me I have access to an ultrasonic bath, which REALLY cleans out all of the grit and gunk from the chain. I do this every couple of months, and after it's been cleaned out properly and completely dry, I lubricate it well after putting it back on the bike.

ultrasonic bath  :thumbup:

usual weekly cleaning? 

something which is environmentally friendly and doesn't cost plenty..

Edited by AM7

I usually degreased my chain with those pink stuff but found that they are a bit too potent.

I switched over to paraffin which I buy at my local hardware store.

Remove the chain, put it into a bottle with it, shake and let it soak.

Works like a charm. I used it to clean my cassette as well.

after years and years of trying different things .. for me the answer was in my garage all along.. and what i used to clean up after cleaning up ..... handex original with less of the silica grit is the answer .. i use it on the derailers and chain. quick fast clean with a toothbrush then rinse,simple and orange fresh, relube and go  .. for me nothing comes close .

https://ownai.co.zw/oc-content/uploads/8011/886805.jpg