Lance announces his retirement.....

Guest Big H

Whatever happens and whoever wins I am looking forward to this years TdF. Being 37 and racing kids half my age on XC courses means I obviously identify more with Lance that Alberto ;-)

Geez Eldron you are old :D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happens and whoever wins I am looking forward to this years TdF. Being 37 and racing kids half my age on XC courses means I obviously identify more with Lance that Alberto ;-)

Geez Eldron you are old :D

Pfffff I still feel 12 on the inside!

Bring your mtb - I'll show you who's old you cheecky little pup :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love this!!

Anyway, it's not about better, harder or whatever... It's about Lance winning the TdF 7 straight times. Once Contador gets there, we can start comparing... until then it's all just speculation.

And when AC wins seven in a row, he better do it with one nut and bags of chips on each shoulder, or it just won't be as good as Lance's effort.

And when AC wins seven in a row, he better do it with one nut and bags of chips on each shoulder, or it just won't be as good as Lance's effort.

:D ain't that the truth.

I see where you get the Old bit, GrumpyOldGuy.

:)

Yeah, its a bummer I know. :D

Sadly with the "old bit" comes the "Grumpy" bit as well.

Lance winning 7 tours in a row is incredible. Drugs or no drugs can win 7 tours. There are so many variables that will take you out of that race ie. crash, stomach bug, useless team, ill timed puncture.... nothing can make up for those variables... He could have been drugged to the hilt, and only won 1. What won him those tours was his absolute professionalism. Look at the teams he had around him. Look at his attention to bunch possition ever km of the tour. And obviously incrediable athletic ability, just look at his pedagree, i meen he won leadville 100 during his 3 year retirement (call him an amature)!!!!

By the way, i thinks he's clean... dopping for so many years would have kiled him by now!!!

AC may win 7, but not in a row.... he will have hickups along the way...

He's already got 1 in a row - 6 more to go.

I really hope he doesn't - Lance's 7 made the TdF *** boring as the blue train strangled everything non Lance. I'm all for elbow to elbow racing from a variety of teams and riders.

Bring on the weekend and the prologue!!!!

Didn't Chuck Norris donate one of his three nuts to Lance? That’s why he won seven in a row...Surely Chuck has another nut to spare..... :P

He's already got 1 in a row - 6 more to go.

I really hope he doesn't - Lance's 7 made the TdF *** boring as the blue train strangled everything non Lance. I'm all for elbow to elbow racing from a variety of teams and riders.

Bring on the weekend and the prologue!!!!

agree. It is exciting to see if you make three in a row or be better then others and make 4. But after that i became very boring. It's like when Shumi won every GP race, Rossi every MotoGP race or the Williams boys winning every tennis match.

Absolutely, records can be beaten. So lets see who can win the TDF 7 TIMES IN A ROW!!. I repeat that, 7 WINS IN A ROW. . I doubt very much.

I rest my case.

@grumpy - I'll have to disagree - Contador won in 2007 and 2009 but missed 2008 because Astana was barred. Thats what I mean by "factors outside of ability". It took nearly 100 years for Lance to get 7 - I don't see that feat being achieved anytime soon.

@E1A104 - dude. Eddie a crap cyclist? C'mon man everyone knows Eddie is the best cyclists in the world. Ever. As for the Giro/Vuelta versus TdF - the TdF is the most prestigious race that EVERYONE wants to win. The Giro/Vuelta never attract as many of the top ranked pros as the TdF meaning that competition is lowered and the prestige of winning is reduced.

Do you ever see cyclists complaining that they didn't make the Giro/Vuelta squad? But they whine like children when they don't make the TdF squad. Bigger audiences at the TdF, better marketing, bigger prize money - the list is endless.

Hell, even the UCI agrees that the TdF is bigger.... 200 points for winning the TdF - only 170 for the Giro and Vuelta

Any other questions?

Eldron,

Was wondering about this....Is the record for 7 in a row or 7 years in a row?(Contie has done 2 in a row but over 3 years)

If it is 7 years in a row then I agree it will be very hard to beat!!!!

Also I agree 100% with you on the TDF versus the other tour. The general consensus between riders and teams are that the biggest factor that make the TDF so hard is the speed at which the race is done..this is mostly because of the quality of the top-teams and the riders. You take say the top 50 riders in the world in terms of tour ability and you will find 90% of them would peak for the tour!

The Giro does have a harder route and riders like Cadel did admit this year that the quality is getting better every year but he still said it is not up there in terms of effort, especially the flat stages is done at a easier pace in the Giro so the riders get more time to rest for the mountains.

Also most teams still use the Giro and Vuelta for their younger riders to get use to the stress of a 3 week tour before they pick them for the tour.

As far as Armstrong goes I am glad he came back for 2 years and spiced things up a bit and I hope he can get 1 more podium before he goes.

But I will still be shouting for Andy to win this one and I really hope we see a hard tour with 4 or 5 guy’s being up there to take the win right up to the final TT!!

You really think Lance could win the Epic? :o Hell no not even if he used a mojo bike. This year was my first Epic and the guys at the front are as small as bean stalks. Even if Lance cut the other nut off and didn't eat from now till then he wouldn't make their size. Let's hope that Songo can finally win next year. Or are the bulls going for 7 in a row? Please can no one say their record is unbeatable!! <_<

@E1A104 - dude. Eddie a crap cyclist? C'mon man everyone knows Eddie is the best cyclists in the world. Ever. As for the Giro/Vuelta versus TdF - the TdF is the most prestigious race that EVERYONE wants to win. The Giro/Vuelta never attract as many of the top ranked pros as the TdF meaning that competition is lowered and the prestige of winning is reduced.

Do you ever see cyclists complaining that they didn't make the Giro/Vuelta squad? But they whine like children when they don't make the TdF squad. Bigger audiences at the TdF, better marketing, bigger prize money - the list is endless.

Yes I have. Team Radioshack when they did not get an invite to the Vuelta.