Alleged loss of pedal cycle at Chapmans Peak

WERNER WIEHART

Hi Sexy Legs, unfortunately I am not able to assist in this riddle, however I am curious if you are male or female. In the case of the latter, please post a pic of those legs, and maybe you will get a far greater response in your search for this Flying Dutch... sorry pedal cycle! :P

Nice 1!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything else aside, what would the point of a mountain climb exercise be?

Surely the value is not worth the risk and and expense of calling out the rescue guys from SA Mountain Club to retrieve an item that is more than likely damaged, unless theres some form of enviromental impact?

This has made my day!

Firstly, insurance companies are possibly consulting with us Hubbers!

Secondly, and even more so is the question of if the wind was blowing in Cape Town!!!! That was hilarious!! The wind ALWAYS blows at Chapman's Peak!

A guy parks his bike up against a railing and goes to answer the call of nature. The wind comes up, lifts his 8kg(or so) machine, with no surface areas that can actually catch the wind, over this railing that is probably 1 meter high and drops it to the depths below.

His story is so unlikely it probably is likely. If I were an insurance assessor, this guy would have a hard time convincing me of his story.

Other than hurricane force winds, there is no ways that wind will lift a bike over a railing.

Unless he parked his bike on the cliff side of the railing, in which case the insurers should refuse payment for stupidity.

A group of us were cycling Chapman’s on a weekend when there was a howling wind. On the first corner on the climb, the wind was tunnelling around the bend, stopping al of us. Some guys were blown over. A lady on her bike was swept right across the road against the rails. Could have easily gone over rails. She was in shock; thought see was going over rails.

I was there this Sunday with much less wind than Saturday. Around some corners the tunnelling effect of the wind was scary. The wind Saturday was gale force. Could have easily blown bicycle over rails.

To all the fellow hubbers, thank you very much for the information. Did not think that so many of you would actually respond. The matter has been resolved!

Kind regards

WTF!!!!!

You can't just leave like that!

COME BACK - someone has to help me pick up the Toys I've just thrown out my COT!

:P

WTF????

I want answers..... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Did he piss against the wind??

how can any wind lift a bike off the ground...from a sttionary position???

A guy parks his bike up against a railing and goes to answer the call of nature. The wind comes up, lifts his 8kg(or so) machine, with no surface areas that can actually catch the wind, over this railing that is probably 1 meter high and drops it to the depths below.

His story is so unlikely it probably is likely. If I were an insurance assessor, this guy would have a hard time convincing me of his story.

Other than hurricane force winds, there is no ways that wind will lift a bike over a railing.

Unless he parked his bike on the cliff side of the railing, in which case the insurers should refuse payment for stupidity.

I'm guessing you don't live in a windy place. A gust of wind will easily blow a bike over the wall on Chappies, which is less than a metre high.

WTF????

Don't be a dork....it had deep section wheels

My wife and I were almost taken out by a flying plastic table which blew off the balcony of a 5th floor flat in our neighbouring building in Sea Point on Saturday. We saw the table flying through the air towards us before it landed in the road and shattered into pieces. It felt like one of those cartoons where you see flying furniture in a tornado... So yes, it was windy!

WTF????

Ah, Mr Weatherman is here. Me gets popcorn and waits for Sexy Legs to respond :)

If it is the alleged company that hides everything under alleged green blankets for some strange reason, you would be amazed of the lengths they will go to in order to decline claims. I've heard some incredible stories and dealt with their 'investigators' myself before... Irrespective of cost, they WILL prove you wrong. I'm sure this alleged pedal cycle would turn out to have been blown by the owner's negligence and, had the alleged person actually been performing the alleged illegal act, then this alleged claim would definitely be worthless.

WTF????

I did a Ironman Tri in Gordans Bay in 2001 and the wind was blowing at gusts of 125km/h and i saw bikes picked up by the wind and thrown 10-15 meters and they were standing.

If the said 'pedal cycle' has a significant replacement value, then I suppose the cost and effort to find it would be justifiable. Perhaps some or all of the components could then be salvaged thereby minimising the claim. On the other hand it may unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how one views this, help to refute the claim. The recent demise of PedalCare was largely because the underwriters felt that the cycling market was too risky. It's a known fact that when times are tough insurance claims rise. Pity for the doubtful genuine claims though.