Capricorn

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>

There's a Canyon bikes thread. it has a great spreadsheet that will throw out a pretty accurate price to your door. Has all the shipping and duties etc. may just have to adjust the currency value accordingly.

Edit: Found it. Copied and pasted:

• There is no VAT on shipping
  • The Import VAT however is a more difficult calculation as all imports into SA is worked out on ATV (Added Tax Value)
  • For easy landed cost calculation in SA, we share this with customers: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
  • An SA citizen can make 3 imports per year on your ID number. Whether it is from books to bikes. SARS will stop your 4th import when your ID number is all maxed out and request an import code from you.
  • If the value of your import into SA is more than R50’000 you also need an Import Code.
  • If you purchase a Canyon (all coming from Germany), you can gladly use your own Importers Code. If you do not have one, we can easily clear your purchase with our local Import Code. The courier (UPS) will inform us when it is requested from SARS and as soon as they do we always just create the document to clear it anyhow on your behalf, so no struggle for the customer.
  • You will make two payments: One to Canyon for the bike, parts, frame, shipping and box. The other to UPS for the Duties and VAT once the bike arrives in SA
  • The fluctuating ZAR is a rather unique case for SA and something not normal for the Germans to experience, there is planning being done, although slightly difficult and slow, for a ZAR value on: www.canyon.com/en-za/

Thanks for this info. Was really interested to see what the total cost would be, as those bikes look like serious good value for money. Pity they don't stock them locally

Careful with ordering tools.

I got hammered bad for two torque wrenches and a socket & bit set.

I just got those thingys that keep your handlebats straight - duties nearly the same price as the item.  Be wary of tools

Do we have a tool manufacturing industry to protect?

I am sure there is someone manufacturing crappy hammers from recycled metal .... or maybe they see us having skilled tool makers and a trade that needs to be protected by hitting you hard with duties on tools .... because they both have the word tool in them.

OR they heard someone say that many people in government are tools, so they then again thought it best to hit you hard with import duties to protect themselves ..... just so many questions.

should I have used comic sans?

• 3 weeks later...

HI guys!

Okay so I'm trying to work out if there will be duties in RSA if In want to buy a front rim and tyres from ChainReactionCycles in the UK.

Any ideas on what it might be??

Thanks!

No duties on parts, but budget for VAT and admin fees from clearing agents.

I had to pay R1290 on £175 worth of nuts, bolts, t-shirt and hat yesterday.

Most of that was because of the clothing items . Clothes carry a heavy import duty tax

Most of that was because of the clothing items . Clothes carry a heavy import duty tax

Ja I knew of the tax on clothes, I was just surprised as it was genuinely a gift from my mom and it said so on the description. Suppose many people take a chance I dunno but none the less I’m glad it arrived.

Once you have the file, search for bicycle and you’ll find inner tubes (p286), tyres (p285) and lights (p585) listed under other headings.

Edited by Frosty

Ja I knew of the tax on clothes, I was just surprised as it was genuinely a gift from my mom and it said so on the description. Suppose many people take a chance I dunno but none the less I’m glad it arrived.

I brought in some Shimano sandals from the UK last year. Invoice must be clearly marked GIFT, and value must not exceed R1500.00. You are not charged VAT or import duty, They still tried to charge me VAT and duties and I had to phone the shipping agent and tell them to read the invoice properly!!

I brought in some Shimano sandals from the UK last year. Invoice must be clearly marked GIFT, and value must not exceed R1500.00. You are not charged VAT or import duty, They still tried to charge me VAT and duties and I had to phone the shipping agent and tell them to read the invoice properly!!

Ah okay. Thanks for the info!