Import duties on cycling goods

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the maximum order amount in ZAR you can buy before any duties or VAT gets added?

if duties apply, its irrespective of the amount. If you lucky, your item might sail through as an LVI (low value item), and not attract duties. But VAT always applies.

Hi Guys,

I am in the shipping industry and have plenty of experience in dealing with customs, the problems you are talking about comes from using the postal service to bring in your goods.

I build plastic model kits as a hobby, and I have purchased a lot on either ebay or other overseas sites and have had them posted to me.

In the majority of cases the go through as low value items, and their is invariably no invoice attached as I am buying from private sellers, but when you start buying from online stores then they will always attach an invoice to the outside of the package, and the customs officials in the post office will always rate it at the highest duty tariff they can.

Your chances of getting them to change the amount due are the same as you building a snowman in hell, no chance.

My advise, if the value of the goods are of high value and are packed into a small package, then have the goods sent via a courier company,

If the goods are bulkier, then have them sent by either airfreight or ocean freight.

If you choose air or ocean freight, get a couple of quotes from a clearing agent, but remember that they can only provide an estimate as duties & VAT are calculated on the SARS rate of exchange, which changes everyday.

If the above still works out to expensive for you, then buy your goods locally, it could work out cheaper in the long run, and you have your goods straight away, and not weeks or in the case of the post office, months.

By the way, I ordered a model 45 days ago from Taiwan, and it still has not arrived, so I know the pain you guys are going through.

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT 9/1/2012 - Use this handy calculator that Velouria found http://www.dutycalculator.com/

It determines how much you will have to pay to SARS when ordering stuff from oversees.

The steps to calculate the total duties and VAT are:

• Calculate the Rand (ZAR) value of the invoice (including shipping). This should be done by converting the foreign amount (INV) into ZAR using the SARS exchange rate (ROE) for the date of export. This is the customs value.
  • Calculate the import duties, using the amounts in Capricorn's list (ID%), based on customs value. These are the Duties (D).
  • Add 10% to the customs value from step 1. Multiply this new value by 14% to get the VAT amount for the goods.
  • Add 10% to the Duties value from step 2. Multiply this new value by 14% to get the VAT amount for the duties.
  • Add the Duties amount from step 2 to the two VAT amounts from steps 3 and 4 to get a the total amount payable to SARS.
  • Add the clearing fee (usualy R25 for SAPO and R100 for UPS) to the step 5 value to get the total amount you have to pay.
All of the above expressed in algebra:

• CV = INV x ROE
  • D = CV x ID%
  • VATGoods = (CV x 1.1) x 0.14
  • VATDuties = (D x 1.1) x 0.14
  • TotalSARS = D + VATGoods + VATDuties
  • Grand Total = Clearance Fee + TotalSARS
And, converting back to English, these are the actual percentages you will pay to SARS for the stuff on Capricorn's list:

cycling shorts (classified as clothing) : 67.3%

shoes, socks, (bags?) : 61.6%

Gloves, bike cases, (bags?) : 50.0%

Helmets (fullface or other) : 44.3%

Knee pads and other protective equipment : 38.5%

plastic bottles : 32.7%

whole bicycles : 32.7%

Goggles, sunglasses : 15.4%

bike components : 15.4%

cycling electronics : 15.4%

Some applicable links:

SARS -Customs Duty

SARS Exchange Rates

SARS Valuation Guide

SARS - Tariff Schedule 2011/04/07

Some useful tariff codes:

Duty free:

Sunglasses - 9004.10

Bicycle tyres/tubes - 4011.50/4013.20

Bicycle lights - 8512.10

Bicycle parts - 8714.*

15% Duty

Complete bikes - 8712.00.10

30% Duty

Bike case, possibly bags - 4202.*

hey guys, are the %'s used here still valid ?

Thanks Cap.

Just did some quick calculations and it turns out by ordering from CRC, I will be saving a about R200. Rather just get my bike shop to order from CWC and install.

Hi Guys.

I need to send a trainer back overseas for a replacement. Can anybody advise what the procedure is with the vat that I have already paid on the equipment that is going back and on the equipment that will be sent in it's place.

Hi Guys.

I need to send a trainer back overseas for a replacement. Can anybody advise what the procedure is with the vat that I have already paid on the equipment that is going back and on the equipment that will be sent in it's place.

Contact Lexx. Local customs/import/export guru.

if duties apply, its irrespective of the amount. If you lucky, your item might sail through as an LVI (low value item), and not attract duties. But VAT always applies.

What is the maximum amount before it's not a LVI anymore?

What is the maximum amount before it's not a LVI anymore?

In my quick search of SARS website, I couldn't find qualification of LVI. I did however, find a section dealing with sending and receiving items via the post office, of which the following was of interest:

Unsolicited Gifts
  • Gift – A gift is classified as any item sent from a natural person abroad to another natural person in the Republic that is unsolicited by the recipient. These include but are not limited to weddings, birthdays, etc.
  • In terms of item 412.10 – A person can receive two gifts per calendar year, of which the value must not exceed R1 400 for each parcel on which the duty will be rebated.
  • Please note that the following consumables are excluded from the rebate:
    • Wines
    • Spirits
    • Tobacco (Including cigarettes and cigars)
    • Perfume
  • Customs Charges – Should the value of the parcel exceed R1 400, customs charges will be paid on the total price actually paid for the item. On gift parcels where the contents are intended for more than one person and the total declared is more than R1 400, customs charges will be paid by the recipients as the rebate cannot be split and the gifts cannot be linked to people other than the recipient.

it wouldn't surprise me if there is a consistency around R1400 being a qualifying threshold value for items to be considered LVI, but I'm just guessing there. Best call SARS for the official word, but hopefully Lexx can give us the law of the land.

That said, I don't recall the shoes package (which was noted as LVI)being below R1400 in value, so I'm inclined to be believe I simply got lucky.

Edited by Capricorn

hey guys, are the %'s used here still valid ?

Just remember that most web-prices will include local taxes, so check with the seller that these will be deducted. That Canyon might be attainable now... Going to enter into negotiations with the Department of Fiscal Policy and Home Affairs...

• 3 weeks later...

Duties when ordering from jenson usa ?

Never mind they won't ship here 

Try a service such as MyUS or Aramex Global Shopper. Do the sums and it may work out for you

Hi guys. Somewhat off topic but can anyone help with local post office info?

I have a parcel from AliExpress arriving in SA in September and still not delivered.

The latest update I can find is '' departure from inward office of exchange(JIMC A) on the 31st of October.

Any idea what the next step is and the possible time frame?

It has to come to Port Shepstone.