Contador Bad sportmanship ?

Ovenboi

Seems everybody dislikes Contador because he managed to kill pool old Lance last year with half a team.

Then I must be in the minority - I don't particularly like either of them.

I don't think it is a case of liking one person over the other, rather it is a little bit more complex. However, I need to qualify my statements.

I believe that Alberto Contador is a superb climber and a very effective TT rider. He was a worthy champion last year (even though I have never been one and am therefore prohibited from making such assumptions).

I also admire Lance Armstrong's cycling ability even though I have never won 7 Tours de France.

I have never met either of these gentlemen, so I may not comment on their characters or personalities (even though I do in fact have both of these traits). What I am commenting on is the way the victory was celebrated.

I am guessing however that you are an Alberto Contador fan? There is nothing wrong with that either, just making an assumption.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oom? what on earth are you on about?

Oom H se wanneer jy weer kos wil maak moet jy by hom kom aanklop, hy is Jamie Oliver version 2 :P

oom? what on earth are you on about?

I've been trying to figure that one out for 4 years now.

Must be why so many have been bust for drugs.

There is ZERO honour in professional cycling.

That's the understatement of the century!

The "ethos of the Tour", as set out by Desgrange, was each man and his machine with no help whatsoever. Obviously the Tour has evolved somewhat since those maniacal days when cyclists took trains to beat other competitors.

Armstrong wasn't in yellow.....

But as noted, Chavanel was and they didn't wait for him, nor did they wait for any other Tour contender; Armstrong was technically highly ranked after his prologue performance and Tour de Suisse 2nd place, Armstrong also tried to leave Contador for dead by driving the group until Armstrong punctured - but the on the Spa stage people did wait.

That's the problem with unwritten rules: they're far too nebulous to be applied stringently.

Those who don't like Contador/support Schleck are likely to see the Spaniard as the devil, and vice versa.

Either way, today is going to be good... hopefully.

Oom H se wanneer jy weer kos wil maak moet jy by hom kom aanklop, hy is Jamie Oliver version 2 :P

Wel, ek moet se - daai brood waarvan hy gister gepraat het het moerse lekker geklink.

I'm just enjoying the TDF...... Most exciting I've seen in years...

YES!!

for once the TDF is making headlines for the RIGHT reasons

I'm not a Contador fan but i certainly don't hate the man because i want someone else to win. Or because he's killing my favourite rider in the Tour...

Even before yesterdays "incident" i saw people calling Alberto all kinds of names. Now please tell me for what reason? So far in his career Contador has managed to do what even Lance couldn't, from a grand tour winning perspective.

Give credit where credit is due. I'm sure Andys' time will come.

Guest coenie

Cry me a river...

Apparently Contador was "in trouble" from Andy's attack, give me a break. Contador was badly positioned when Andy attacked and was closing the gap fast when he had his "mechanical". And obviously it was only Contador which drove home the advantage, not.

Even if Andy took 20-30 seconds out of Contador (which was highly unlikely) by the top of the climb, he would never have stayed away 'till the end.

Seems everybody dislikes Contador because he managed to kill pool old Lance last year with half a team. He's going to wipe the floor with Schleck in the TT.

If he is SOOOO good, why did he look so worried while attacking? He kept looking back....he look s*&% scared to me.

At the end of the day this is a major tour and every single rider would like to win, if i was contador i would also have attacked. When armstrong stopped for Ulrich it was because he had fallen not of a gearing problem. Andy and them could then just aswell have waited for lance on the cobbles when he had a flat. This is like all other sports about money and sponsers and getting the yellow jersey gives more exposure to Astana

If he is SOOOO good, why did he look so worried while attacking? He kept looking back....he look s*&% scared to me.

Stop listening to the crap the commentators have to say and watch the racing.

Just like they said Contador was "on the ropes" when Andy attacked? Please...

So he was scared was he? You must be a pshychic.

Hahah, just like on that mistery crash thread, the hub must be full of the most self riteous but Passionate people In the world! Conto had a second to make the desision, you have been picking your noses for a day about this thing. Andy's Manager, was like, pff, It happened, now go ride your bike...

Do you people want to tell me you really care about this little thingy so much, these guys cycle away 70% of their lives and we want to go get carracter and personality lesons from these guys? Camaan, Pick your friends and your wife that way, but these guys ride bikes.

Go conto!

Guest coenie

Stop listening to the crap the commentators have to say and watch the racing.

Just like they said Contador was "on the ropes" when Andy attacked? Please...

So he was scared was he? You must be a pshychic.

So why did he keep looking back to see where Andy was?

Contador rules!! Just 'cos Andy Schleck's a baby who can't ride a bike properly or even change gears ... and even if it was the bike, so what? Would a 100m hurdles be "gentlemanly" if the lead runner's sole came loose? Must a Formula One race stop because a car's tyre came off or the engine blew? Tcha! Would the whole Argus grind to a halt if Malcolm Lange had slipped his gear? The race is not always to the fastest, blah-blah.

contador could not wait for schleck, 3rd and 4th place were also there, so if contador waited (the problem could have been more serious and a longer delay, who knows) and 3rd and 4th got away, they could have maybe overtaken contador in the standings, normally the chain just pops back on if you move the shifters back, who knew schleck would have to get off his bike twice to sort it out, so they all should have slowed, not just contador, i dont hear anyone dissing monroe or sanchez, and they were doing all the work getting the gap. so schleck must stop mopping, it was just bad luck and do some attacking. this is a race after all and **** happens.