Contador Bad sportmanship ?

Ovenboi

Please lets not get all reasonable on this thread, it is exactly what we need, a good ol handbags at noon thread. It is the fisrt time in months that we have got to 64 post's on a non LA/doping thread, heck we have'nt even started the hate and abusing yet.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a sport.... i.e. there should be sportsmanship! Contador showed his true colours today. Gutless! What a waste of talent on such a poor sport! Somehow the Armstrong/Ulrich/Pantani battles seem to have more class. Forget who won or lost. There was a dignity which prevailed under the same circumstancs.

This is a sport.... i.e. there should be sportsmanship! Contador showed his true colours today. Gutless! What a waste of talent on such a poor sport! Somehow the Armstrong/Ulrich/Pantani battles seem to have more class. Forget who won or lost. There was a dignity which prevailed under the same circumstancs.

'... there was more wrong from Andy's side. Rubbish team tactics for one. Changing chainring on a steep section like he did. Thats schoolboy stuff.'

'And it's a bike race stuff happens - Saxo get helped by the peloton on stage 2 as it is. Fair enough wait if a fan knocked him off or something. It aint a gents club run.'

Did AC even notice that AS had dropped his chain?

If I was bleeding from the eyeballs, I wouldnt be watching my opponents chain

IMO Contador is a chop, that was really bad sportsmanship, even if he does take the Tour now people will say he didn't win fair and square.

I recall a few years back when Ulrich had a crash LA waited for him/didn't attack and vice versa when LA was taken down by a spectators bag.

I think I am taking a risk of getting flamed - according to the thinking of some folks on this forum, one can only discuss such matters if you can race at that level. I can't race at that level, but imo something is broadcast to millions of viewers is intended for the public domain, and should be talked about.

The problem with unwritten rules: Do you wait if a chain is dropped? Or only for a crash / puncture? Or is it any sort of difficulty for the man in yellow? Was it his own mistake that the chain dropped, or did a mechanic make a stuff - up?

If Conto waited, would Menchov have waited? If not, would Conto have let him go? It does not look as if Conto was the only one pacing in that group, but he benefitted most. All the other GC guys also passed AS, even LA.

My take on it: Conto was not able to follow Schleck's attack, and was probably panicked a bit. If AS could drop him on this climb, he may be able to get 2-3 mins over the next few stages. I think that was the main reason he went - AS scared him. He can not claim ignorance.

Conto could have scored huge popularity points if he waited / at least tried to convince those with him to wait. I don't think he should get too much criticism, AS did not puncture or crash. But for me it is sad to an interesting TDF influenced / partly decided by a dropped chain. But then, how long has it been since a true hero stood on the podium of the TDF (for example a giants like Merckx, who kept racing with his broken jaw wired shut through his teeth, because he felt that withdrawing would take something away from the winner, & people would say xyz won because Merckx withdrew)

All Contador did today was show his true Colour's

He's a great talent that knows how to ride his bike ... there it ends.. Nothing more..

Hey there IC, Barry, here. How you doing?

I might be wrong but Vino was chasing after Schleck, AC was still in the bunch.

The Fans all watch at the finish line and were quite convincing in their verdict!

All one has to do is follow some of the tour pro's on twitter, they are all singing the same song: AC unsportsman like! So unless we have raced in Le Tour peleton we are probably un-qualified to comment, but heck, where is the fun in that? Andy got himself a bucket full more fans and supporters today.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Please show me the rule, where it states, that when a rider falls behind, cos he got a puncture, had a bit of a lie down, pee pee or chain comes off, they have to stop? Please, I want to see this.

He is not breaking the rules, he is just taking part in a….wait for it….RACE/TOUR. So please, don’t tell me that it’s a gentleman thing to do. It wasn’t Contador’s fault Andy’s chain came off, really, he shouldn’t be paying for it.

This is all about tactics and team work. For a change, the tour is actually way more interesting for a non roadie to watch.

Now just because it’s not going the way as predicted, and the riders didn’t cross the line holding hands…the poor guys is a coward.

I know absolutely nothing about this pro cycling/racing/unwritten rules stuff, but this makes a lot of sense. Just like numbers 3 and 4 chasing you down while you wait for number 1 to put his chain back after he can't change gears / mechanical failure. Where do you draw the line with this unwritten rules. If the guy in yellow has to pee, we wait for him, no ? Stupid rules if you ask me, doubt if we will see Schumacher wait for Hamilton if the latter can't find his gears and shumi can take the win. So goes for every other sport. In this advanced state of equipment, if you have mechanical failures I would recon thats your problem and bad luck.

'... there was more wrong from Andy's side. Rubbish team tactics for one. Changing chainring on a steep section like he did. Thats schoolboy stuff.'

'And it's a bike race stuff happens - Saxo get helped by the peloton on stage 2 as it is. Fair enough wait if a fan knocked him off or something. It aint a gents club run.'

Lance waited when Ulrich took a somersault down the side of the ride. Ulrich's fault - Armstrong still waited. It's about the sportsmanship! I dont care if Contador stuffs the whole field up (although I would prefer someone else)- but the point is do it fairly.

I think I am taking a risk of getting flamed - according to the thinking of some folks on this forum, one can only discuss such matters if you can race at that level. I can't race at that level, but imo something is broadcast to millions of viewers is intended for the public domain, and should be talked about.

The problem with unwritten rules: Do you wait if a chain is dropped? Or only for a crash / puncture? Or is it any sort of difficulty for the man in yellow? Was it his own mistake that the chain dropped, or did a mechanic make a stuff - up?

If Conto waited, would Menchov have waited? If not, would Conto have let him go? It does not look as if Conto was the only one pacing in that group, but he benefitted most. All the other GC guys also passed AS, even LA.

My take on it: Conto was not able to follow Schleck's attack, and was probably panicked a bit. If AS could drop him on this climb, he may be able to get 2-3 mins over the next few stages. I think that was the main reason he went - AS scared him. He can not claim ignorance.

Conto could have scored huge popularity points if he waited / at least tried to convince those with him to wait. I don't think he should get too much criticism, AS did not puncture or crash. But for me it is sad to an interesting TDF influenced / partly decided by a dropped chain. But then, how long has it been since a true hero stood on the podium of the TDF (for example a giants like Merckx, who kept racing with his broken jaw wired shut through his teeth, because he felt that withdrawing would take something away from the winner, & people would say xyz won because Merckx withdrew)

Got a point, but the true giants would of waited, and not attacked, I think we all know that to be true.

but the true giants would of waited, and not attacked, I think we all know that to be true.

agreed.

jip, el pisterelo now definitely deserves to be called Conta.... and Conta........he has shown his true colours when under pressure...

Lance waited when Ulrich took a somersault down the side of the ride. Ulrich's fault - Armstrong still waited. It's about the sportsmanship! I dont care if Contador stuffs the whole field up (although I would prefer someone else)- but the point is do it fairly.

Oh sorry, my apologies.

Because Lance did it before, it's cast in stone as a rule that must be obeyed.

And god forbid you don't, then you shall be named an outcast, coward and crowned of having bad sportsmanship.