Boring old topic - trying to loose a couple of kilo's

I've been getting up early 5 days a week for the past 7 months, doing various cardio exercise at various intensity levels (i.e. interval training, long distance running, long distance cycling, etc). By this I mean I've been working really, really, really hard at getting fitter and faster and more in shape. Try to eat healthy, stay away from take-aways, and most food that come in packages. The thing is that I seem to be unable to loose the 4kg I've set out to loose earlier this year ....

Yes, I am fitter and faster but did not loose even 1kg of weight and still wear the same size of clothes and my shape has not changed much...

Whatever I've been doing does not seems to work and I am open for any suggestions ;)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to eat less.

Sorry but it is as simple as that.

Expenditure needs to be greater than Intake.

if you are eating healthy already, just cut your portions down to 3/4

I don't have any suggestions. Just really wanted to commiserate.

It is really crap when you work so hard and don't see the results.

Sending you Happy thoughts. :)

the biggest mistake to make is to eat more to recover to exercise. eat as you would normally.

Then eat on the bike to fuel your rides only (what you eat on the bike stays on the bike) then back to normal meals again.

first of all. what's your percentage body fat? It's measurable. also, how has your body dimensions changed since you started 7 months ago compared to the baseline you should've taken at the start? What may have happened is that any body fat may have been supplanted by an equal amount of muscle growth, but the surest way to tell if that's indeed the case is to measure your percentage body fat.

One other thing to not forget, is that you may have plateaued, and need to change up your routine to reach the next level, either by regime change or variation in intensity. Oh I hope you honest about your eating habits. What sort of diet you on? DO you measure you carb intake?

Hi,

have you checking your Body Fat %?

I would also include weight training into your schedule, the more muscle you have the more your body needs to work to feed the muscle, thus burnng more fat.

If funds allow go get a proper diet. There are many mistakes we make when following diets we see in magazines and in adverts from suppliment companies.

I am down 33kgs from when I was 3 years ago, saw a dietitian this year and made the last 10 much easier!

good luck

Cut out sugars and that means fruit juice aswell. YOu don't need to eat untill you are full. Just eat enough. Eat more small meals. Don't eat after 8pm. If you drink coffee, make sure it does not contain chicory.

If you aren't loosing weight then it's your diet.

You need to eat 6 small meals a day, each meal must consist of a low GI carb, a protein & a fat.

For faster results to can cut the carbs after 5pm.

And for you to keep your sanity you can have 1 cheat day, where you can eat anything you want but you must eat 6 meals.

You could also do weight training (don't worry you won't put on tons of muscle)even if it's twice a week. The more muscle you have the quicker your body burns fat.

When you do cardio do it on an empty stomach.

Add onto Tarmac, its basic, for you to loose weight - energy in < energy out. Thats it.

Yes it can become more complicated as weight traning sessions burn differently to cardio sessions, and its difficult to track you base kCal burning during the day...BUT

The only way I could do it, have a record of what you eat (with a good estimate of the energy value, kCal) and record your output during exercise (HR monitor works well) and see what your balance is on a weekly basis. If you want I can send you an example of my tracking system.

Did that Jan 09 and lost 10kgs by beginning April. In Jan this year decided to loose the last 4 and did so by mid Feb (while eating enough to train hard).

Anyways, point is - cant control what you dont measure.

Cut sugar and “stysel”. Bread is a killer when trying to drop. Also drink water like a fish. It worked for me.

Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat. So if you are turning fat into muslce you are not going to drop weight. Use lighter weights and more reps. Also see a dietician. That is the only way in can be truly effective. Cut out sugars not carbs. Carbs are essential for energy. Sugars are the problem. I am having the same issue right now. BUT my body fat has dropped by 6% so even though I am losing the weight I am gaining power. Not what I wanted but I love food too much.

Colorific deficit - less going in than going out = weight loss - simple truth.

Diet of lean proteins, green salads, limited carbs and fats, lots of water and as little "excess" as possible.

Watch for high carb veg and fruit - which can add up the calories.

I guess you do not have a lot to loose , if you were really overweight you will loose quickly but those last few kg's need determination, decide if you want to loose it that badly.

most of us girls tend to not eat enough protein - it helps keep you full for longer. Try to incorporate a bit of protein with each meal (eg tuna on low GI bread for lunch and yoghurt or egg with your breakfast cereal).

Unfortunately a lot of us also tend to have a "preferred body weight". To fall under this may be difficult to achieve and maintain and may also negatively affect your performance.