Fastest Argus time on Mtb

Trek_Fan

So lets hear your fastest Argus times on a mountain bike. State whether you were using slicks or not...

2.38.? somewhere in the 90s. Fisher Pro Caliber, non-slicks, standard mtb gearing at the time. I think I was 20th over-all in the A Bunch [for what it's worth]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who did the argus on their mtb with mtb tyres on ? I did it with my anthem x1 29er. Time 3:45.. Was tough!

What group did you start in, think I might have seen you? Did a 3h54 on a 26er with slicks. To be honest I found it frustrating not to be able to keep up with the groups on the straights and downhills (uphills were better :thumbup: ) Will get myself a proper roadbike before the next Argus.

I rode a 3:20 on a roadbike. Caught some guy on a 29er as I was entering Sea Point - he started in E with me and it took me 107km to catch him. As I passed him, I commented on the respect I had for his ability and his only response was "Dude, when does the single track start. Tired of waiting for it to come round"

I think TitusTi did a well below sub3 on a full suss Fisher 29er......a couple years back when the wind wasn't blowing.....

Yip, knobblies, and didn't lock-out the suspension either if I recall.

I rode a 3:20 on a roadbike. Caught some guy on a 29er as I was entering Sea Point - he started in E with me and it took me 107km to catch him. As I passed him, I commented on the respect I had for his ability and his only response was "Dude, when does the single track start. Tired of waiting for it to come round"

My kinda guy :)

Did 3:35 on mtb yesterday, stopped a couple of times and enjoyed the ride/scenery.

Ended on 150km for the day after riding to and from the race.

Respect to the lady who passed me at Redhill on dual sus.

PS: if it has slicks its not a mtb.

PPS: it doesn't surprise me that the fittest cyclists are racing mtb - the road race results show it too.

Time to confess. Was on a On One 456 summer season, with knobblies.

Started with friends from OC, 09:48. Already hot then. Felt good all the way past misty cliffs, but from Kommetjie I was done. Not nearly enough nutrition on the way and not enough to drink. Was a real rookie mistake, as I am used to this kind of "survival cycling" if you want to call it that.

Anyway, found a nice bossie on chapmans to hide from the sun for a while. Lost about 30-45min due to having absolutely no power. Never felt that weak on a bike, jeez it was bad. Took an energy gel and some cramp block. Last squeeze of water and got back on the bike.

Top of chapmans filled the camel with water, took two cokes and hit the road. Rode from there to the finish without a problem. Took a rehydrat last night and feeling real good today actually.

Never going to forget to eat again. It was a really crap experience that part between kommetjie and top of chapmans.

Couple that to general unfitness and you're in for disaster. Last week's 52km MTB argus might have played a role as well...

Anyway, finished in 6h09min. Sore butt, but that's it really.

A new low for me, since 2008 when I did a 3h14, I could never again break 4h on the Argus. Eish.

Who did the argus on their mtb with mtb tyres on ? I did it with my anthem x1 29er. Time 3:45.. Was tough!

did 5:06 on 3x 10 29er HT with 2.25 Racing Ralphs - loved it!

I saw a couple of still dirty MTB's in the first couple of groups.

Saw Dawie Carstens at the start of chappies on his MTB going up with A bunch. Knobblies howling as he pushed it up there. I reckon he was the only guy in A bunch with leg hair.

Dawie and his brother August are cavemen. Augie is 25 and has already done 2 freedom challenges and and is now working on a freedom type route from Kilimandjaro to Cape Town.

Did 5:43 on my Giant Terrago - washed and lubed from last weekend's Argus MTB, was too lazy to take off the knobblies. Last year I did 5:30 with slicks. I think my slicks would've melted yesterday. Backup at Chappies was my favourite part of the race - "forced rest"! Hehe.

Did a 2:51 on the 109km route, but had slicks on, dont think many guys will take on titus ti.

Heard some guy did 4:25 on a single speed :thumbup:

Respect, I could only manage 5h18, anything geared for the uphills simply does not work on the level bits.

Respect!! What time did you start? My wife and I started at 09h24 (PC) in her first Argus (and road race for that matter). She didn't enjoy / couldn't maintain being in the bunches and going down Blue Route she instructed me that we were MTB'ers and she wasn't going to "slip" anybody. So we did it on knoblies, without riding slip in any bunches, and in the heat of the day. Think we did it in 05h50, but racetec has been down all morning. None the less, we really enjoyed it, except for the panic at one or two stations where they started running out of water. The trafiic jam at the top of Chappies was also hectic with people lying in the gutter and any shade they could find. Also, had to laugh as all the walkers were taking the shade side up Chappies, and some guys still shouting "keep left!". Guess which side they passed?

Started in U 7:18, we were only 3 mtb in our group and me and my partner were the only ones with knobblies. I just had to keep up with the bunches to help with making up some time.