The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Just had the perfect weekend with my boy - he managed his first time on his bike, after refusing to touch it for months since we removed the training wheels. Within half an hour he was doing this...:  :-)

post-15789-0-02640700-1439283868_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need some advice moms and pops. It's almost time to upgrade my four year olds balance bike to a peddle bike. We can't raise his seat anymore and he's wanting to go faster but can't use the crappy drum brake on his bike. Any advice on what a good upgrade should be?? Don't really want a Makro special but rather something designed for kids that's works well. I know LBS's will stock some bikes but looking for first hand advice.

Need some advice moms and pops. It's almost time to upgrade my four year olds balance bike to a peddle bike. We can't raise his seat anymore and he's wanting to go faster but can't use the crappy drum brake on his bike. Any advice on what a good upgrade should be?? Don't really want a Makro special but rather something designed for kids that's works well. I know LBS's will stock some bikes but looking for first hand advice.

Last year I got a somewhat abused 2nd hand 20" Scott Spark for when my laaitie turns 5 in 2017 for R1000.

My Boy Evan, ripping it around Meerendal lower section, had two massive wipe outs, as he was getting a bit over confident with fast down sections,...but I encouraged him to fall more, cos its cool :whistling: 

post-17321-0-63948800-1440403449_thumb.jpg

My Boy Evan, ripping it around Meerendal lower section, had two massive wipe outs, as he was getting a bit over confident with fast down sections,...but I encouraged him to fall more, cos its cool :whistling:

attachicon.gifWP_20150821_16_45_06_Pro.jpg

I like the picture "framed" in the wheel and through the spokes very much. Ice cold cool! :thumbup:

I like the picture "framed" in the wheel and through the spokes very much. Ice cold cool! :thumbup:

Thx DJR! My new PC screensaver, for sure! lol

attachicon.gifWP_20150821_16_45_06_Pro.jpg

Does your boys bike have brakes or is it one of those back peddle brake jobs?? 

Does your boys bike have brakes or is it one of those back peddle brake jobs?? 

Back pedal jobs, works great for him

If I can give you any advice it would be to buy a good 16" or 20" bike like the Momsen super light. It will be well worth your money. You cannot expect them to learn and enjoy riding properly if they are attempting to pedal close to their own body weight around.

This was the best advice we received and it literally revolutionized our dudes riding.

The kids momsens are made tough, lightweight and with decent components.

Just my 10 cents worth ..........

If I can give you any advice it would be to buy a good 16" or 20" bike like the Momsen super light. It will be well worth your money. You cannot expect them to learn and enjoy riding properly if they are attempting to pedal close to their own body weight around.

This was the best advice we received and it literally revolutionized our dudes riding.

The kids momsens are made tough, lightweight and with decent components.

Just my 10 cents worth ..........

THANKS FOR THAT!!!

Ok awesome, silly question but can you free wheel on those bikes nowadays?

Yip, no probs free wheeling, only when you back pedal does the brake activate