The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

To all who is getting their kids riding . . .

I need some advice please.

My son is turning 2-years in a months time.

He always rides with me on the star-seat thing I got at Sportsman Warehouse.

December I stumbled onto a Sale at a Specialized shop and bought him this S-Works model. :clap:

http://mikesbikes.com/images/library/zoom/b4e0_06_hot_hotwalk_boy_red_wht_blk_spzld_13_z.jpg

Is Two years to early for this walking bike?

Where to I start?

Just leave him top figure out that he must kick himself to get momentum to stay upright or send him down the inclined driveway?

It bothers me that this does not have brakes? :wacko: :eek:

He does have a helmet he always put on when we go riding, but where to I get full body armour for a 2-year old?

He will appreciate any help.

If he can walk, he can get on the balance bike. My son started on a strider at 17 months by just walking with the bike between his legs. After 2 months he was running and lifting his feet for a few meters at a time and then came strider racing down BMX tracks at just over 2 years old. He started riding his BmX from the age of 3 yrs and 2 months. I have to add though that he is a tall 3 yr old

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My laaitie wanted to ride his own bike. So I took my little girl along on the star seat. The mannetjie insisted on going to the top of gspot 'cause he "wil soos ooms ry, bietjie rof" (he saw some guys hammering the trail). Down the first drop he bliksemed off, but being his mother's child, he insisted on going on the down trail. Bliksemed off again. In the end I had to put him on the bike carrier...All in all lots of fun.

post-33762-0-46214900-1459325597_thumb.png

Was looking through my bikeparts for a stem earlier this evening an my 4 year old son who was with me noticed an old road bar amongst the parts.

He insisted that we fit it to his bike,cause he wants a "padfiets" too.8bc670b00cbaa52741d668a17553501d.jpgWatch out for the mini monstercross.280312b82df73b9cdee9a2b83cab319b.jpgHe had a quick spin up the driveway and after almost falling twice he decided that "padfietse" arent for him yet and that we can try it again later this year when he turns 5,cause then he'll be a "groot seun".

Was looking through my bikeparts for a stem earlier this evening an my 4 year old son who was with me noticed an old road bar amongst the parts.

He insisted that we fit it to his bike,cause he wants a "padfiets" too.8bc670b00cbaa52741d668a17553501d.jpgWatch out for the mini monstercross.280312b82df73b9cdee9a2b83cab319b.jpgHe had a quick spin up the driveway and after almost falling twice he decided that "padfietse" arent for him yet and that we can try it again later this year when he turns 5,cause then he'll be a "groot seun".

Lol! Awesome!

Now that's cool[emoji106]

My daughter insisted on riding her bike this morning when I went for a run. 10km and she was exhausted although she doesn't look it here.

Luckily lots of cycling paths in Alberton. She can't wait to go again. Must say it was cool and kept my mind of running because I was always concentrating on her.

post-51529-0-63764500-1459628002_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Pikey

My daughter decided today was the day the training wheels come off.

Having used a JD Bug for at least 3 years, she knew how to balance.

Back to the 16" bike... It took one 50m walk alongside her, holding onto her, and then I decided to let go. A slow motion wobble but she kept the bike upright.

For about 10 minutes she rode up and down the complex road, unassisted.

I can't begin to describe that sense of pride/happiness/joy that we (Mom and I) felt seeing her riding without training wheels on the bike.

Edited by geraldm24

Guest notmyname

My daughter decided today was the day the training wheels come off.

Having used a JD Bug for at least 3 years, she knew how to balance.

Back to the 16" bike... It took one 50m walk alongside her, holding onto her, and then I decided to let go. A slow motion wobble but she kept the bike upright.

For about 10 minutes she rode up and down the complex road, unassisted.

I can't begin to describe that sense of pride/happiness/joy that we (Mom and I) felt seeing her riding without training wheels on the bike.

Congats. That's awesome! Edited by neilneilneilneilneil○

My little boy is 11 months next week & I'm itching to get him on the bike...

What carriers are recommended?

Edit- I only have carbon frames, so I believe mounting the carrier may be an issue

Edited by mrbaker

My little boy is 11 months next week & I'm itching to get him on the bike...

What carriers are recommended?

Edit- I only have carbon frames, so I believe mounting the carrier may be an issue

I'd try and find something like this,..as response to a crisis situation, protecting the little one, just seems far more "possible" compared to rear or, in front of the handlebar options

post-17321-0-59029000-1459879366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brandon78