Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

When you get tired of trashing those Enve's, put them in a box & send them up-country.... Very cool bike.

100s. I'll send these and the ones off the CX bike  :thumbup: .

Thanks.

Edited by Ryanpmb

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a new found respect for all you crazy okes riding marathons with rigid single speeds :eek:

I did my first marathon that was Van Gaalen this past weekend with my rigid single speed. That downhill with all the rocks had my praying for some sort of suspension and my hands and arms were screaming with pain. The wait at the floating bridge gave me time to regain some kind of feeling in my hands and arms.

But it all was good fun and really enjoyed the last 30km single track. Will definitely ride a marathon with my single speed again, but without front suspension....ek weet nie so mooi nie :eek:

Was there anybody else riding Van Gaalen with their SS?

This is me on my size small Scott hardtail, with 150mm fork on the front. It was built up as a dirt-jump / play bike, but since the theft of my Reign X it's the only bike I have, so I'm making do... Single Speed 32/16 gearing and a saddle that only extends to approx 8 inches above the seat tube (hint - about 6 inches too low) so pedalling it is a beeeeyatch.

This was at Coetzenburg this past weekend. Man, is that place FUN. But so much of climbing as well!

11350632_10207190708830221_2403997913416

Edited by El Capitan

Did one of our favourite 'dirt roadie' routes this weekend,by no means a technical ride as it is a kind of gravel pass,but 47km with 800m of climbing it was a propper workout on the single speed.post-54774-1433872410,9686.jpgpost-54774-1433872456,8209.jpg

My SS. Merida HFS frame, Fox fork that was a hand me down from a friend, wheels I bought off the hub and the rest of the parts came from my box of tricks. Only the handlebar and tensioner was new when fitted. 26 that has been converted to a 650b, and fortunately it has enough clearance for a proper 2.2inch tyre front and back.

This bike is super fun to ride, it sees way more action than my plastic Bike. The next change is to extend the fork to 120mm travel.

Pictured here lit up like a Christmas tree for night rides. Obligatory couch shot attached.

post-16631-1434312897,1048.jpgpost-16631-1434312904,9516.jpg

This is me on my size small Scott hardtail, with 150mm fork on the front. It was built up as a dirt-jump / play bike, but since the theft of my Reign X it's the only bike I have, so I'm making do... Single Speed 32/16 gearing and a saddle that only extends to approx 8 inches above the seat tube (hint - about 6 inches too low) so pedalling it is a beeeeyatch.

This was at Coetzenburg this past weekend. Man, is that place FUN. But so much of climbing as well!

11350632_10207190708830221_2403997913416

hey, if it gets too tough use the third gear, in your case a set of 510's

ss.jpg

The wife's first ride on her SS m.c.r - she has declared it her new love (that may have something to do with the banana bread beer in the bottle cage)

Where is the helmet????

Hanging from the bars, car keys in her hand - we were packing up to go home. Don't stress 2 concussions and an MRI in one year - we wear lids.

Edited by NixM

Those guys running the rapide tensioner with normal chainring (not NW) and 8speed/ss chain, any issues?

Running on the 16t cog from my old 9speed cassette,32 chainring(the old middle chainring) and my old 9speed chain.Had some issues in the first week/20km,there is a nylon washer in the tensioner that caused the tensioner to move sideways and drop the chain......alot.

Added a galvanised washer that reduced the sideways play and problem solved.

I've only dropped the chain once since this modification,but it was while going very fast down a rocky decent.My chain is a bit longer than I would prefer,but cant be shortened anymore.

I am thinking of looking for a stiffer spring to replace the standard one in the tensioner and this should keep more tension on the chain and prevent it from coming of again.