• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Um... No.

Sorry. I was so exited  by the build.  :blush:

Saw in later pics it was not . . . .  :blush:

Edited by IH8MUD

Finally I have a chance to upload pics of my new SS. Das Dartmoorski  (coz its Polish ja!

This is a new (old) frame that I bought from a dude in Jozi. It is a Dartmoor Primal

The fork is a Recon I had in the garage that had an internal travel adjustment done to get it to 130. I bought this fork a while ago for my previous SS. Sadly the previous owner did not believe in oil changes, so the stancions are gaar. I did pay next to nothing for it, and it still works well after a service, so it will do duty on the Dartmoor until I have saved enough for a new fork. 

Wheels and parts all come off old bikes when they were upgraded, with the exception of the Handlebar. Its a Rapide 800mm wide bar that I bought specifically for the previous SS, and I believe 800mm is the new 740mm  when it comes to SS riding (it helps that I am a tall guy with long arms.) Oh and the dropper also does duty on my XC bike, but will probably move to the Dartmoor until I get another one.

On the upgrade list is the fork and brakes. The Avids are nice and have great feel, but they are 5 years old, and bleeding them are a las, and this needs to be done more frequently now. The fork will make way for a 650b mid travel like an xfsuion sweep or even the new sektors. Then I can also use the 650b wheels I had on the previous SS (this SS had a 100mm Fox fork with 650b wheels,) but for now it works lekker with the smaller wheels, especailly after fitting an Ibex tyre on the front.

This bike is lank fun to ride, and It wants to be ridden hard! 

post-16631-0-21843700-1446199877_thumb.jpg

post-16631-0-19839900-1446199879_thumb.jpg

post-16631-0-84476700-1446199880_thumb.jpg

post-16631-0-68180200-1446199882_thumb.jpg

So after riding this amazing little bike with a double crankset for the last 3-4 years, I made the leap to SS. Holy Moly.. What an experience. Loved it!! I have a newfound respect for SSers and am really looking forward to getting to grips with a new dimension of MTB.

post-27136-0-16261100-1446376664_thumb.jpg

post-27136-0-07534300-1446376680_thumb.jpg

post-27136-0-58997900-1446376700_thumb.jpg

So after riding this amazing little bike with a double crankset for the last 3-4 years, I made the leap to SS. Holy Moly.. What an experience. Loved it!! I have a newfound respect for SSers and am really looking forward to getting to grips with a new dimension of MTB.

Makes the cockpit looks much neater, I like that a lot[emoji6]

so this happened... :( :( :(

attachicon.gif20151102011740.jpg

Superstar Swtich Evo hubs, i haven't any luck trying to locate an axle, superstar stopped posting to SA, otherwise it's £96.00 to ship, which does not make any sense, my SS and commuter will probable stand until i can get replacement... so SAD!

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/switch-rear-adaptor.htm

I'm trying to make a plan to get some hubs from Superstar. If i can, I'll let you know.

GT Karakoram Build

Nice looking build. Shorten your chain a bit so you can tuck the tensioner in more and get more 'wrap' around the sprocket.

Nice looking build. Shorten your chain a bit so you can tuck the tensioner in more and get more 'wrap' around the sprocket.

Will do. What would be the benefit of more chain around the sprocket? (total noob, lots to learn)

Will do. What would be the benefit of more chain around the sprocket? (total noob, lots to learn)

Two benefits for me:

1. Aesthetics. I personally think it looks better with a tensioner more parallel to the ground. Makes for a 'cleaner' look.

2. By providing more chain wrap on the sprocket there's an increased amount of chain in contact with the sprocket driving the teeth of the gears, reducing the possibility of the chain slipping.