Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally built up my first SS (after 6 years of sitting on the fence :blush:). Pretty damn nice if I say so myself!

Cotic Soda, Hope hubs, BB, headset, and seat collar, Stans Crest/Hope Ruan Deysel wheelset, Ritchey Classic stem, post and bar, Middleburn Uno crankset, Chris King stainless cog, Gusset 1/2 link chain, Rennen Rollenlager tensioner, Rockshox 120mm XX 20mm thru axle fork (not hardcore enough for rigid!), XT brakeset, Flite 110th anniversary brown leather saddle, PDW Whiskey Ergo stitched brown leather grips, Blackburn Chicane stainless waterbottle cages, XT pedals. Carbon!

Sorry, kuk iPhone pic!

Where did you get the saddle from? Was looking for ages to find one and settled on the TLD

Hmm, look at this and reconsider :)

I agree with Robocyclist ,carbon and SS bikes are not too meet .there is something very special about a sleek slim steel frame .

I mostly agree - Singles should not be fragile race machines - they need to be reasonably practical.

So on that note, my new Momsen STR 29er frame is in the back of my car... all steel... sliding paragon dropouts - now to put it together - any suggestions on a source for a rigid carbon fork?

I mostly agree - Singles should not be fragile race machines - they need to be reasonably practical.

So on that note, my new Momsen STR 29er frame is in the back of my car... all steel... sliding paragon dropouts - now to put it together - any suggestions on a source for a rigid carbon fork?

http://carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=43&p=197&

Planet X in the UK. Was 50 pounds (cheap). I bought 1 or their last 2 (should have sprung for both to have a spare) and I see they no longer have them. Did you get the Gusset chain locally?

Where did you get the saddle from? Was looking for ages to find one and settled on the TLD

The Gusset chain was from Grant Usher at www.singlespeed.co.za

The stock code is GT-SSD-RED. Not too expensive either. THink I paid R150 for it.

This was my very first MTB. A Trek 7000 bought in 1998/1999 from Linden Cycle. It did years of good service including my first Sani2C and has been used by loads of mates as an intro to mountain biking before they committed to buying there own bikes.

More recently I have used it as a 1x9 training bike but I decided it was time to see what all the fuss about single speeding is. I finished building the bike last night. I need to tidy a few things up (and lose the plastic pedals!) but it's ready for its first ride tonight at CM.

Specs

Bike - Trek 7000

Fork - On One Rigid CroMo v-brake

Brakes - Deore V-brakes

Rims - DT Swiss XR4.1

Hubs - DT Swiss 240S

Tyres - Kenda Karma 26x2.0 with tubes (will be changing these to 2.4's)

Stem - FSA

Bar - Scott Pilot. I'll be changing this to some nice riser sweep bars to relax the drop between saddle and bars

Chainring - unknown brand 38T

Crankset - Original Onyx with the black anodising worn off in places

Seatpost - ditto

Chain - Shimano 9 speed

Saddle - Spez Phenom

Rear cog - Endless Bike Kick@ss 19T secured by Gearclamp

Chain Tensioner - On One Doofer/Doofah/Doofuss

Pedals - Shimano SPD

Paint colour - Gulf Oil orange

It's no slinky thin tubed steel framed 29er SS, but I'm chuffed with it.

post-19323-0-92550200-1343378291.jpg

post-19323-0-06645900-1343378301.jpg

post-19323-0-09606200-1343378316.jpg

This was my very first MTB. A Trek 7000 bought in 1998/1999 from Linden Cycle. It did years of good service including my first Sani2C and has been used by loads of mates as an intro to mountain biking before they committed to buying there own bikes.

More recently I have used it as a 1x9 training bike but I decided it was time to see what all the fuss about single speeding is. I finished building the bike last night. I need to tidy a few things up (and lose the plastic pedals!) but it's ready for its first ride tonight at CM.

Specs

Bike - Trek 7000

Fork - On One Rigid CroMo v-brake

Brakes - Deore V-brakes

Rims - DT Swiss XR4.1

Hubs - DT Swiss 240S

Tyres - Kenda Karma 26x2.0 with tubes (will be changing these to 2.4's)

Stem - FSA

Bar - Scott Pilot. I'll be changing this to some nice riser sweep bars to relax the drop between saddle and bars

Chainring - unknown brand 38T

Crankset - Original Onyx with the black anodising worn off in places

Seatpost - ditto

Chain - Shimano 9 speed

Saddle - Spez Phenom

Rear cog - Endless Bike Kick@ss 19T secured by Gearclamp

Chain Tensioner - On One Doofer/Doofah/Doofuss

Pedals - Shimano SPD

It's no slinky thin tubed steel framed 29er SS, but I'm chuffed with it.

:thumbup: Nice

Did you do the pin-striping? Stickers or proper pin-striping?

Edited by More Wood

Thanks guys. The pinstripes are decals I got from Mikes Bikes. They're made for the very cool Electra cruiser bikes that he sells.

I really enjoyed riding it at CM last night. The weight difference running the rigid fork compared to the previous steel sprung fork I had is huge. Lifting the front wheel to pop over some pavements took no effort. I fitted some nice wide KCNC bars which I much prefer to the flat bar I had on there. Now to hit the spruit and see how I cope!

Edited by sometime

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted an ad in the classifieds, i have an on-one Mary bar for sale, non over-sized standard diameter + PZ Stem for it.