Garmin is a waste of money ????

Vetseun

Only problem I have with my 725x is that in Windows 7 my IR USB went nuts. Lost some data from a ride like speed and all that, but I need a new IR device... So what are you getting for the pagan feast?

Don't be fooled into paying R500.00 for the Polar USB IR, I had an old generic one that has been in my draw for maybe 5 years or more that worked just fine on Windows 7

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be some greasy drivers. Will try to find my old drivers on one of my drives and try that... If that fails I will get me another IR... Or maybe a laptop with IR built in :)

It might be some greasy drivers. Will try to find my old drivers on one of my drives and try that... If that fails I will get me another IR... Or maybe a laptop with IR built in :)

Do laptops still come with IR? I sell them but that is not a feature that has been requested in years so I haven't noticed if it is still there

I doubt I loaded a driver, it is an old device so Windoze 7 probably had one already

Do laptops still come with IR? I sell them but that is not a feature that has been requested in years so I haven't noticed if it is still there

I doubt I loaded a driver, it is an old device so Windoze 7 probably had one already

I think the Acer 6293 or 6292 had IR. I think I installed an HP with IR today... It is not something you see a lot anymore, but you get it.

If you just knew..... When using the Polar S725 you can have the settings on the cadence as well as speed sensors changed to increase transmission strength for use on tandems and other applications.

You change the setting by opening the sensor and moving a jumper. I did that and changed the battery for good measure and it still wouldn't pick it up.

So what are you using as a cadence sensor...?

and heart rate strap?

Power meter?

Where is you phone during a ride?

Hi Tank,

I use my cycling computer, together with my phone. My phone does not have a heart rate monitor, as I only started cycling 5 weeks before 94.7. At the moment I do not see the relevance of a heart rate monitor. My phone does however give me a much more accurate reading on how far I have cycled. true speed and it also maps the routes that I have cycled.

I put my phone into one of my backpockets on my shirt.

So to correct your own statement:

Your phone does not do the same as a garmin does.

Pretty useless if you cant see any data with the phone in your back pocket.

my phone does the same as what a Garmin does. And the nice thing is it doesn't cost extra money for using the tracking service

I bought myself the Garmin EDGE 500 about two months ago. Before that I used a Polar RS300 and bike computer.

The Garmin is the best peice of equipment I have had to date. Single unit that records every peice of data you can think of. No overcrowded handlebar and extra sensors that need attachind (unless you use the speed/cadence sensor).

ANT+ compatabillity makes it easy to attach a PowerTap without needing the specific PowerTap computer.

No need to switch between Bike 1 and 2, no wheel calibration.

Very easy, very powerful, very accurate.

So to correct your own statement:

Your phone does not do the same as a garmin does.

Pretty useless if you cant see any data with the phone in your back pocket.

to me route mapping is at this stage more important, I can download my rides to my computer and I "try" to build a cycling log with all of the rides.

Bought a Polar 725 , played with it for a few months and donated it to another cyclist . Not enough features to be a nice toy . Still don't know why I wanna know HR so go a Garmin Quest that I use on the bicycle , Bike and in the car . Now I can cycle around the farm and play with the track to see where I have not been yet or cycle down the Tati river and with my GPS get a route back through town . And if you gonna worry about how much it will cost or weigh then you really don't need the toy .

I have both...Garmin all the way, the polar is sitting in a cupboard somewhere.

Wanted to ride a new route at van gaalens last weekend without getting lost(some routes are not marked well). Quick search on Garmin connect came up with 40+ routes that people mapped previously, chose the best one for me...downloaded it to my device. I could even race against the guy's ghost which is a nice little feature.

My polar had issues within the first month, had to take it in for repairs and the garmin was only a few rands more, so if I had to do it all over again...just get a garmin edge 500 and btw the battery life is great on this little unit, 3 hour ride only used 15% of the battery.

I have both...Garmin all the way, the polar is sitting in a cupboard somewhere.

Wanted to ride a new route at van gaalens last weekend without getting lost(some routes are not marked well). Quick search on Garmin connect came up with 40+ routes that people mapped previously, chose the best one for me...downloaded it to my device. I could even race against the guy's ghost which is a nice little feature.

My polar had issues within the first month, had to take it in for repairs and the garmin was only a few rands more, so if I had to do it all over again...just get a garmin edge 500 and btw the battery life is great on this little unit, 3 hour ride only used 15% of the battery.

Did the same last week, dumped a ride of Garmin Connect and bob's your uncle.. Now way I'd have found the route had it not been for that. Otherwise map routes in Google Earth, did it for Transkei a couple years back..

As JacoStrydom said, once you get to a certain point, mainly in MTBing, you realise there is little option but a Garmin. Before then stick to the kitchen clock.

And interestingly enough, I had to get a HRM for Epic training with downloading capabilities to analyse time spent in certain HR zones, the Garmin 305 worked out way cheaper than equivalent Polar, with GPS functionality.

Why ride a carbon bike?

Why ride with Assos (or other premier brand) gear?

Why ride with Sidi (or other premier brand) shoes?

Why ride with a Giro (or other top end) helmet?

Why ride with Rudy Project or Oakley shades?

Why ride a Dogma?

Why ride with Dura Ace, Red or Record groupset?

Why use a Garmin?

Why, why why?

Cause we can!:clap:

He who dies with the most toys....WINS! :thumbup:

Get both. Get all.

I've got them both!!! Well, the 705 and the 725x. I've had the Polar for years, but when the cadence sensor packed up, the speed sensor started to act up and the power meter....well, just kept on not working, I got the Garmin. I thought I'd use both, but I only use the Polar for spinning sessions when I need to record HR, for the rest I just click the Garmin on the bike (all of them have the Garminmount now. I know, old school, but one day I'll get an Edge 800!!!) or throw it in my back pocket when I run. Yes, I run with a 705. No problem.

With the Garmin I've eliminated the Polar watch, Powertap computer, cadence sensor and speed sensor setup I used to fret over. Just click and go

I also love the function of being somewhere I've never been before and exploring new routes, even on the road bike. Something I never did before gps. Found new cycleroutes in my own area I never knew of! Great little toy.