Bottle holder for dual sus/soft tail

AndreZA

The mounting onto the seatpost looks a little flimsy for use on an MTB. I hope those cables area rubber coated as they must surely have a little movement on rough ground and I can only imagine that adding a little mud into the factor could result in a nicely scratched seatpost?

Mate of mine used them extensively for a review in the new issue of Tread, works just dandy!

Can find dealers via the link I just posted.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent cycled without a camelback in about 12 years. You guys are making me wanna try bottles again.

You should try, theres a notable difference, feels so light, especially long ries and climbing out the saddle.

Is there a bottle holder out there that mounts somewhere else besides in the main triangle ?

My shock is there and can't fit one there.

Tried one on the seat post or saddle mount but it flings the bottle out the first ramp you go over .

I haven't read all the pages but here are my suggestions - my apologies if I duplicate.

With regards to fitting the bottle in the front triangle. If like me, you have a shock that attaches on the top tube ie Superlight or Zula, turn the shock around so that the can is closer to the rear triangle and the stanchion of the shock is towards your bottle cage.

When you mention the seat post holder losing bottles; try finding a bottle which "locks" in to the cage. Meaning, the Specialized cage which I have on my seat post has a lip which locks onto the specialized bottles. There are other bottles (cheaper! :clap: ) which fit as well. I ride plenty of rocks gardens, ski jumps and rutted roads and have never lost a "locking" bottle.

Mamparra, you'll cry when you see what I did to my zula for this race :o

ok let me find a pic...:P

I'll take it off afterwards I promise, But camelbacks make you tired, its loong days in the saddle, not 3-4 hours..

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Turning the shock around and the "locking" bottle and Bos even has the "cheaper" bottle in there that I use. Good on ya mate

You should try, theres a notable difference, feels so light, especially long ries and climbing out the saddle.

also back to 2bottles on the hardtail,

have 3types of hydrapacks and they are all too freakin hot summer.

So day one of GR300 done and dusted 5 :36 and 95km of the best riding ive ever done. THAT was KNYSNA at its best..every awesome section I know was in there.. strung together in a bloody tough and technical ride but oh so awesome.. we rode to the red route through the forrest, then did the redroute, as part of the race :) then rode to the best parts of petrus se brand, then some awesome section of about 10km deep in the bush before more singletrack and even the last 3-5km was climbing up steep stuff with singletracks so steep and fun that reminded me what I loved about MTB all along, sttuff I wouldnt see In cape town, because they domb the trails down so much because the "fat guy at the back" might fall on his face and moan or get pissed. This was serious stuff, flat out singletrack bombing, up motherless steep sections and tough?? hell yea. How can they possibly better this tomorrow?

Oh and I was going to say.. I saw a guys Topeak holders like mine break today. the spez ones looks much better : ) but mine lasted the day.

• 1 month later...

I considered all the options mentioned in this thread...

TopPeak - reported to break easily.

Specialized - looks the business but a bit pricey (R180)

Saddle mount cage, tried a Tacx saddle mount, not very practical would be better suited for TT not MTB

Camelbak - Not going on this roadies back!

Then I remembered some of you clever hubbers suggested hosepipe clamps, and someone else suggested putting old tube around the seatpost for protection. Then I made it look nice and pretty with a coat of spray paint.

Hosepipe clamps - R15

Spray Paint - R35

The look on your face when I still have water and you dont - PRICELESS !!

post-4352-0-50653900-1301247829.jpg

Works a charm!

See that guy on the epic today as he went down the ramp his back bottle fell out. I use the Spez. works great havnt had a bottle fall out yet, and if it does its because I havnt put it back properly.

Tankman I'd rather pay the R180. If thats what you did, I dont want to see what your bike.:lol:

Tankman I'd rather pay the R180. If thats what you did, I dont want to see what your bike.:lol:

Ja ok, I will probably buy the Specialized at some stage but I was feeling DIY'ish today ;) (it works, havent lost a bottle ...yet)

and why not, she is so pretty ... before the cage came on :D

post-4352-0-51298400-1301250695.jpg

Luckily I have more than enough space for a bottle on my seatpost!

Edited by Tankman

So you have tried one of those side entry ones?

Also, I have modified one to sit lower as well.

Worked for me.

Also lowered mine.

Does anyone know where I can find seat post clamps similar to the Specialized ones, but with a larger diameter in Cape Town (or online)? The Specialized clamps are 30.9mm and I'm looking for 31.6mm.

Edited by Polo

Does anyone know where I can find seat post clamps similar to the Specialized ones, but with a larger diameter in Cape Town (or online)? The Specialized clamps are 30.9mm and I'm looking for 31.6mm.

Try the topeak their size is adjustable