gear hunting

jcmeyerSS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good name for a cycling movie.... "The Gear Hunter..." "One man, one bike, one gear..."

Edited by caad4

From what Ive gathered from various forums on the hub is that cables dont stretch.

No not stretch as in stretch, but some cables become "tighter" in the twist of the cable at it is pulled and tends to want to unwravel. It is very theoretical so that is why I said unlikely, but rather settlingin of casing to plastic end bits, etc.

Sounds like a good name for a cycling movie.... "The Gear Hunter..." "One man, one bike, one gear..."

You have something here.

Classic! :clap:

Not as cool as 'The Gear Hunter', but what about 'Good Gear Hunting'? 'A road bike lifts himself out of his menial position as a street sweeper and becomes a mtb...' :P

check your chain, even a new chain can have a stiff link. I had a similar problem and eventually found out it was a stiff link.....Almost bought a Rohloff as a result......in fact I am still considering this.

From what Ive gathered from various forums on the hub is that cables dont stretch.

Yes they do, in the morning when you wake them up ;) /end sarcasm.

But seriously, cable stretch is one of my favourite urban legends along with chains stretching. Most of the so called cable stretch is the cable clamp bolt (whatever you call it) on the derailleur not being tight enough causing it to slip.

No not stretch as in stretch, but some cables become "tighter" in the twist of the cable at it is pulled and tends to want to unwravel. It is very theoretical so that is why I said unlikely, but rather settlingin of casing to plastic end bits, etc.

This is what I understand too.

Just sell the bike.

I have a Commencal with new XTR derailleurs, chain & sprocket and I'm not having this crap. You wanna buy it?

Life is too short to struggle with gears..........

Get a Merida with SRAM <_<

Cables or bent derailer could be the first thing to look at. One other thing could be the Freewheel slipping. I had a bike where obnly under certain situations woulf the freewheel start to slip (normally under heavy load but not all the time). The difference with that is you don't hear the gears slipping you just sudden loose power like a snapped chain... My bet is the cable or bent hanger. Another thing to check is yor chain length. If you made it too long then there is not enough tension on the chain and it can slip.

How?

I had this problem on one of my wheel sets, the play in the bearing will cause the casset not to run true to the chain. witch in turn will cause the hunting to happen. I had the bearings done and the problem was gone. even just a little play will be noticed on the gears.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar problem, but probably a differnt cause. Maybe someone has an answer for me?

I replaced my chain & derailer cable the other day (but not the cassette). On the bike stand everything was shifting sweetly, and riding up and down the road is fine but as soon as I put the power down, the chain 'slips' on the cassette?

I put the old chain back on and it works fine! I thought maybe I got the wrong type chain, but it seems identical to the old one. Is that typical of a worn cassette?

Any ideas? Thanks...

Replaced the rear cassette and it stopped jumping at the back... only to start jumping on the front chain ring. So replaced the middle chain ring and at last everything seems to be working...

Except then I came down with the flu, so I haven't ridden the bike since... :angry:

Dude...I'm not buying this arguement!!

PLEASE explain to me what role the cable pays when the shifting has already been done and the rider merely applies torque to the chain???

To me this sounds very much like a worn casette!!! Especially when he states that when putting the old chain back on...the problem dissapears...

Agree, worn casette

I don't mean to be funny but gears generally need adjusting with the barrel adjuster each ride. Do it while on the bike and riding with the barrel adjuster at the shifters. If its slipping under load tighten the adjuster (you can feel which way is tighter) and if it won't drop down nicly then loosen the barrel adjuster. The cables stretches each ride (or cuts into the housing or whatever) - temperature can change the tension too. Learn to use the barrel adjusters and get rid of the messy shifting once and for all.

I ride XT shifters and RD. Once gears are set, no need to adjust. Cannot remeber whem last I had to adjust gears.