Sad sad news - death in Tokai

Please guys - remember to carry ID and medical info with you at all times!

RIP... strength to Andrew's family in this time of sorrow.

FROM THE WARTHOGS NEWSLETTER

-----------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday's Sunday morning ride in Tokai ended on a sombre note

At about 10h30 as we were heading down from Noordhoek Peak (about 300m from 'Silvermine Gate') a cyclist came running towards me waving his arms. He said there was a medical emergency - a guy had either broken his neck or had a heart attack & that they were 'losing him' & would I please call an ambulance.

It's turns out 4 mates were riding together. 2 headed up to N/Peak & the other 2 turned back to head down the mountain. Suddenly Mike realised that Andy was no longer behind him. He turned back & headed up & found Andy slouched over his bars. At this stage 2 other cyclists arrived at the same time. They then started CPR.

I sprinted back towards the gate where there was better reception & called Netcare (082-911). I got through to a call centre in Jbg & explained where we were & said we would meet the ambulance at the 'Silvermine Gate' entrance. Worried that they wouldn't find us, I also called someone I knew at Netcare but she confirmed that the ambulance was already on it's way.

By this stage there were about 6 cyclists helping out all together. Some guys were flagging down motorists & asking them to a) get the gate unlocked for ambulance access & B) look out for paramedics from the cycling race (Cape Cobra) down the road & send them up. Some waited at the gate for the paramedics.

About 20 mins later a paramedic arrived by car & had to run to the victim on foot as the gate was stil locked. 2 of us helped carry his gear & he then 'took over' when he arrived at the scene. About 10 minutes later 3 more medics arrived on foot (parked ambulance at locked gate)

There was a long battle & they tried everything but unfortunately at 11h37 Andy was announced dead. By chance, another friend rode past while the medics were trying to resusitate him & recognised him. She was able to call his wife to 'warn her' & get another friend to her to drive her through.

So, a grim end to a ride but some important lessons to be learnt :

1. Learn the ABC 's of CPR (trust me - you don't want to watch a buddy die while you don't know what to do)

Any hogs who can help arrange a course or advise where/who can ?

2. Carry some form of ID on you (other than having his mate with him, this guy had nothing). Write all your details (*) on a card & laminate it or wear something on your wrist (I have a medic alert)

(*) Full name, ID #, blood type, next of kin & contact #, allergies, etc

3. Know who/where to phone in an emergency - remain calm & explain clearly where you are. They will ask you for some details - eg. 47 yr old male, suspected heart attack, etc.

4. The paramedic told us this happens all the time - unfit people push themself too hard - their heart rate stays too high for too long and it goes into fibulations and the person has a heart attack and dies. IF YOU HAVE NOT EXERCISED FOR A WHILE DO NOT OVER EXERT YOURSELF (trying to keep up with the race snakes)

R.I.P. Andrew F.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow that brought shivers down my spine!

Would definately be keen on doing a course on cpr, the way you put it "you don't want to watch a buddy die while you don't know what to do" makes you think!

R.I.P Andrew F and prayers for his family.

RIP to Andrew. Sad news.

Get an ICE ID.

I came down hard on New Years Day and was admitted to hospital unconscious. My ICE ID had all my medical details and ensured I got the medical care I needed without any hassle.

Sad news. Oddly enough I updated my details on the 'Sweat Safe' site last night...

What was the rider's age?

Jeez. What a sad story. R.I.P Andrew F and condolences to his family.

Problems with first aid courses are that you tend to forget what you've learned... I've been on a couple through work and if you don't do refreshers quite often and practice/talk to fellow safety officers you'll never be able to perform under pressure... It is like trying to do the Argus when you've done one training ride 10 months before the race...

Highly recommend the IceID. It has helped me get out of some tight spots. http://www.iceid.co.za/home.php

2. Carry some form of ID on you (other than having his mate with him, this guy had nothing). Write all your details (*) on a card & laminate it or wear something on your wrist (I have a medic alert)

And try keep this on your person rather than on your bike, like some people do with Sweatsafe band, etc. You can't be sure a paramedic or other repsonder is going to look on your bike for this.

CPR is easy once you have done the course!! DO IT GUYS!! COsts you R200 and is usually done by Netcare themselves.

Did a couple of them! Very informative!

RIP Andrew. :huh:

RIP Andrew and condolences to his family.

I carry my blood donor card, ppa card and drivers license with me in my back pouch every time i go for a ride.

You should be able to contact your local red cross and see if you can join a course. I have level 3 first aid - need it for lifeguarding on the beaches.

Just a sad way to go hey, but I am sure it was whilst doing what he loved.

Edited by SirK

RIP Andy, and condolences to yoru family in this sad time.

I WILL listen to my wife more and "carry my medical aid card and details" when next I am on the bike :unsure: