Single speed projects

divernick

I have a Giant XTC carbon 26 frame, plus Fox fork, bar/stem/post/seat and thinking of building a SS, or even a 1x10.

Can I use a spare 105 road crank as a single ring on this - will it be wide enough not to catch on seat stays?

Also frame has v-brake bosses, but fork has not - any thoughts on v-brakes rear, and disc up front?

Cranks? Might work. I tried to use MTB cranks on a road frame and it did NOT work. Let us know how it works vice versa.

Brakes? They call it "running mullet" with a disc up front and v-brakes at the back. Does the frame not have disc tabs? Rather run discs front and back if you can and remove the threaded v-brake posts for a cleaner look....

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That are VERY nice :thumbup: I like the colour scheme.

Nice bike Rouxtjie! We'll toast to her at SSWC2012! And again at Van Gaalens!

Shot ouens...can't wait for tomorrow!

Cranks? Might work. I tried to use MTB cranks on a road frame and it did NOT work. Let us know how it works vice versa.

Brakes? They call it "running mullet" with a disc up front and v-brakes at the back. Does the frame not have disc tabs? Rather run discs front and back if you can and remove the threaded v-brake posts for a cleaner look....

Thanks Divernick. Yep, it has disc tabs too at the back, but thought the v-brakes might be lighter/cheaper/more unique. Probably not.

S.I.R.Maxxis, ek het dit gekoop by 'n winkel in kaapstad. Daar is nog een oor! 'n wit een, R3300 brand new, gemaak deur Camissa Bicycles. Hier is die winkel se website, eks seker jy kan 'n email adres daar kry! www.starlingandhero.co.za

Sweet

Skuld jou een. Ek skiet more deur PTA toe om te gaan kyk na n bike. Sal post as ek hom vat.

She looks good Dangle .... I really love the graphics of the steel raleigh's they are bringing in now!

So how does she ride / handle, both the frame and drive train?

Hi Hairy

Thanks, the graphics are quite cool.

The frame geometry is nice, it feels good, but nowhere near the Ritchey.

The belt drive make a few odd creaking noises here and there, otherwise quite smooth.

I will see after tomorrow mornings ride what it's really like.

I need some advice...

I have an old Marin MTB frame and would like to turn this into a singlespeed. What are the steps that I need to take?

I have an old Truvative crank as well as all the other part except brakes and fork.

Will the crank work and how do I go about converting it to a single chainring?

Sorry about the noob questions but I have no clue where to start.

Does anyone have a cheap fork up for sale?

Thanks

What is the cheapest way to go single speed if already have a normal drivetrain?

I have just been through this and its a piece of pie. You will need:

Spacer kit

Rear cog(go 18t to start...works lekker for me)

Chain tensioner.

Also google singlespeed and mtbr, wealth of knowledge there