Volunteer as a live race photographer at The Cape Epic

bikegeek

I was about to reply to this and offer up my time and the use of my own photographic equipment... then i read further to where the OP confirms that the iPhone 4 is the photographic equipment required.

Seriously? :unsure:

The use of a phone for photographic purposes of an event of this calibre takes away just about all credibility. Good grief.

This has to be a hoax, or a wind up.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't the Epic "POOCHED" enough people already?!

AAAh how the mighty feel needed!

Bring on the REAL events... j2C, S2C, Cannondale 300, Grape escape, W2W, Burg and Bush......F%^&K it Argus for that matter!

Treat the locals with disregard and you WILL get *** in return!

I'm With Kosmonooit on this one!

:thumbdown: :angry: :thumbdown:

It seems some have missed an important part of the first post:

You will be required to take photo's throughout the day of the race from various points to be aggregated on the race live website.

The use of a mobile phone will allow the photographers to upload photos to be aggregated live on the website, on the fly. Doing this with any camera would take too long.

My understanding is that this is in addition to the usual race photographers using professional equipment.

I was about to reply to this and offer up my time and the use of my own photographic equipment... then i read further to where the OP confirms that the iPhone 4 is the photographic equipment required.

Seriously? :unsure:

The use of a phone for photographic purposes of an event of this calibre takes away just about all credibility. Good grief.

This has to be a hoax, or a wind up.

A poorly written brief for sure, although don't think it's a wind up though or an attempt at getting pros or serious amateurs for free either.

Mind you, it is kinda odd that one is expected to have an iPhone4 of their own.

Most likely it's some form of promotion, more for the iPhone product than anything. Something like this would be well suited to students or something along those lines.

A well known photographer of high calibre, Chase Jarvis runs a blog with some of the images he captures with the iPhone. Some of them are really great!

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2009/04/iphone-photo-of-the-week/

Obviously he doesn't use it for work, but I think the blog is to prove that a camera is just one small tool in capturing an image and that sometimes capturing the right image is about having fun.

Ok I veered off on a bit of a highjack there :blush:

It seems some have missed an important part of the first post:

The use of a mobile phone will allow the photographers to upload photos to be aggregated live on the website, on the fly. Doing this with any camera would take too long.

My understanding is that this is in addition to the usual race photographers using professional equipment.

Thanks Admin for clearing this up. It seems there will always be sceptics.

Should you have a camera that can upload quality geo-located images in real time via a 3g connection at better quality than an iphone 4, you are welcome to volunteer your services. We are trying to give the armchair race watcher a real time experience of the race as it unfolds. If you are up for the challenge of helping us achieve this, please pop an email.

how about taking photos with a CAMERA. not a phone. lame

mmmmmmmmmmm, and these photos can be uploaded to the web straight away, while on the course!! Didnt think so............ :blink:

I think it's a cool concept and a great way to harness mobile social media and the power of many people to bring instant news to people who like instant gratification.

Of course the picture quality won't be up there with what you can expect from a Canon 5Dmk2 and an L series lens, and that is why guys like Greg Beadle are contracted as the official race photographers.

Why do a lot of Hubbers always have to be so negative. This is an offer (and a damn good one) for 4 people to get a free Epic experience, soak up the vibe and have a party while adding to the overall 'gees' of the event.

If I could get a week off I would jump at this opportunity even though I can't use my fancy and very expensive gear to take the pics. Hell I'd even buy the Iphone just to hone my skills on a down market camera. Does no one else think the challenge is worth the effort?

Well done Tim Price and whoever is behind this for coming up with the initiative.

Edited by ChrisH

I reckon it’s an awesome idea, I've had photos from my iPhone 4 printed and both myself and my wife were very surprised by the quality of most of the shots, of course in a compact / non dedicated device you do not have all the options you do on a dedicated device, there are some very good 3rd party applications that do allow you to adjust for various lighting conditions etc.

Also, Let’s face it, for those of us sitting behind a desk during the day, seeing live photos uploaded even scaled down to 800x600 would be awesome, it’s not like we will be printing them in A0 to display publicly.

Now, if only i could get down to CPT I’d sign up for the adventure for sure.

A little bit ;) but still suuuper excited!!

you had to pay to be a volunteer?? that doesn't make sense, but at least you'll be there :clap:

• 1 year later...

so someone gets to make money of other people's time effort, equipment and cellphone bill.

sounds like an awesome deal.

this country has a seriously problem with expecting a lot for free.

but i guess at least you get to eat with the competitors etc. baaah

• 2 months later...

hahaha i have no idea how i found this. but my point was still relevant albeit a year late

so someone gets to make money of other people's time effort, equipment and cellphone bill.

sounds like an awesome deal.

this country has a seriously problem with expecting a lot for free.

but i guess at least you get to eat with the competitors etc. baaah

Couldn't agree more.

just to mention something else here and sorry for hijacking BUT

why on earth would you want to PAY to be a volunteer? something like 3500 I think.

I know that you get the option for an entry the following year. But someone like me who will never do the Epic, might still want to do something like this because of being completely smitten with the sport?

just to mention something else here and sorry for hijacking BUT

why on earth would you want to PAY to be a volunteer? something like 3500 I think.

I know that you get the option for an entry the following year. But someone like me who will never do the Epic, might still want to do something like this because of being completely smitten with the sport?

Because you can then sell it for a profit to someone who wants a guarenteed entry