Formula 1...

'Dale

I watched the last 40 laps of the Indy 500 last night. It was quite strange listening to the team managers telling their drivers they would all run out of fuel with 2-3 laps to go, and hoping for an accident so they could take on more fuel under yellow.. One by one the drivers had to peel into the pits for a 4 second splash of fuel except for ex Manor driver Rossi who decided to stay on track and coasted to the line to win.I think he was nowhere near the top 10 with two laps to go.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was great to see Rossi pull that win from nowhere! Just had a look and (incl inaugural race) only 9 rookie winners in the 100 runs. The previous 3 names on the list being Graham Hill, JPM and Helio. 

Regarding Monaco - exciting race brought about by the changeable weather conditions. But seriously... they raced flat-out from a standing start in the past under much worse conditions than they started in under SC yesterday. And then still some guys cannot drive on the straight once they get the green light... Which was only when the track was almost drying. All for driver safety, but this is just nuts. 

Awesome to see some real competition for both pole and in the races.  Hope it continues - Clearly the red bull chassis is the real deal, but Canada is a power circuit so this will tell us how much of an upgrade the new Renault engine really is...

Rosberg must be licking his wounds - that was a trouncing of note for the "run away" world champ leader...  Kudos to him for moving over though.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else really, really enjoy it when Alonso asked if he could please just stop racing as he was sick of the car. 

The team was like, "We could get a top ten if there is a big crash."

I think I owe the missus a few back rubs.

Just watched 19 hrs of Le Mans and the Baku GP

Absolute heartbreak for Toyota. Drive for 23hrs and 57 minutes then break down.

The Japanese motors are not doing so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you imagine the investigations into that failure. Heads will roll!!

There was a question at about 4.5 hours to go, that if the Toyota breaks down on the last lap, will the Audi get 3rd despite being a lap down.

"Yes, the car has to cross the finish line to be classified as a finisher."

There was a question at about 4.5 hours to go, that if the Toyota breaks down on the last lap, will the Audi get 3rd despite being a lap down.

"Yes, the car has to cross the finish line to be classified as a finisher."

The sad thing is that Nakajima did cross the finish line, but he took too long to complete the last lap.

This sort of sums up the weekend

Sunday afternoon, telly on, motorsport drama pouring in. The race leader’s car breaks down as he begins his final lap. Tears of joy from the team in second place, tears of frustration from the other side.

A quadruple amputee has been lowered into a 200mph car, which is modified to let him control it despite him having no hands or lower legs. There’s nothing hi-tech about how he gets into the cockpit though – webbing straps wrapped around a big pole, to allow him to be hoisted manually into position.

There’s controversy as a potentially class-winning car is told to pit because some insignificant lights which show spectators if it’s running in the top three aren’t working properly.

But then the Le Mans race finishes and we all switch channels to watch the F1, where we’ll be treated to the drama of a button-pushing contest, pit radio broadcasts in which drivers can swear but can’t be told how to fix their malfunctioning cars, and head-scratching over how a track that promised so much delivered so little.

Evolution ...

http://i2.wp.com/www.grandprix247.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/TpTdzvH.jpg?w=750