Formula 1...

'Dale

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Bull to use Honda-based F1 engines from 2022

Red Bull have formed their own powertrain company and will continue to race from 2022 with engines using Honda technology, the Formula One team said on Monday.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/motoring/motorsport/2021-02-15-red-bull-to-use-honda-based-f1-engines-from-2022/#:~:text=Red%20Bull%20have%20formed%20their,with%20engines%20using%20Honda%20technology.&text=Images%2FGetty%20Images-,Red%20Bull%20have%20formed%20their%20own%20powertrain%20company%20and%20will,One%20team%20said%20on%20Monday.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

Like the new Mclaren. Great launch event, even though there was no car there.

I have a good feeling about this.

I didn't watch the whole launch, but that was a nice touch from MCL with the video stream of Danny's little nephew and his parents. Also, that video they sent Ferrari to take good care of Sainz was pretty cool. Such a lekker TEAM vibe they have over there. It's going to be a big challenge for them especially having to integrate a new PU, albeit a better one, it still poses many unknowns and they've got less time to test this year. But even with those challenges, I've also got a good feeling about their chances for this year and really hope they're able to push Merc and RBR harder and maybe steal a result over them here and there.

rumour is that sme of the Honda engineers want to stay with the engine and assist with "reliability improvements"

I didn't watch the whole launch, but that was a nice touch from MCL with the video stream of Danny's little nephew and his parents. Also, that video they sent Ferrari to take good care of Sainz was pretty cool. Such a lekker TEAM vibe they have over there. It's going to be a big challenge for them especially having to integrate a new PU, albeit a better one, it still poses many unknowns and they've got less time to test this year. But even with those challenges, I've also got a good feeling about their chances for this year and really hope they're able to push Merc and RBR harder and maybe steal a result over them here and there.

Yeah, Mclaren always seem to be the team to bring their A game at the start of the season and then in season improvement are average. 

I think the fact that they used all tokens to re design the entire rear may be in their favour at the start of the season as can start with a new air flow strategy and align all parts to that, unlike other teams that have to now make the new floor work with previous aero philosophies. 

So grasping at straws here but..

Let's say McLaren are on Mercedes' asses straight from the get go, do any of you think they'll have more reliability issues this year, merc could easily say it's down to them adapting the car wrong towards the PU

Let's say McLaren are on Mercedes' asses straight from the get go, do any of you think they'll have more reliability issues this year, merc could easily say it's down to them adapting the car wrong towards the PU

It's a possibility, their packaging (engine cover shape, etc.) may not be as ideal for the PU as Merc's own.

Possibly. The most logical would be a cooling problem, same as Merc themselves had last year when in traffic. 

However, Merc wouldn't purposefully give them a "bad" engine. That would result in a serious loss of reputation. 

Have to wait and see unfortunately, impossible to predict the reliability before hand.

I just hope they (and Red Bull and Aston Martin) get there **** together very early in the season and give Merc all hell possible.  If they are under proper pressure, they will make mistakes.

As you can tell not a Merc/Hamilton fan at all.  Here's to a turn around season for all the other teams and that we see the fight for the championship go to the wire  :thumbup:

Not sure Merc would be keen to have those PR nightmares like Honda had previously. 

Possibly. The most logical would be a cooling problem, same as Merc themselves had last year when in traffic. 

However, Merc wouldn't purposefully give them a "bad" engine. That would result in a serious loss of reputation. 

Looks like they have already added new vents to the side pods on top. 

The inlet is almost identical in the side pods. Looks slightly larger intake on roll cage. 

So excited.

2021 team car launch Date Team 15 February McLaren 19 February AlphaTauri 22 February Alfa Romeo 26 February (team) and 10 March (car) Ferrari 2 March Mercedes 5 March Williams TBC Red Bull TBC Aston Martin TBC Alpine TBC Haas