Do you Patch punctured road tubes??

b-rad

Hi all, perhaps a doff question, but is it possible to patch punctured road tubes?? Is the air pressure not too much for the patch??

It seems quite a waste to have to throw the tube away.

Patch them, it's the green thing to do and it works. Use the smallest patch you can find.

Patch them, it's the green thing to do and it works. Use the smallest patch you can find.

+1. I only chuck tubes when there's more patch than tube visible. I've put patches on patches before...

thanks guys for the quick response...much appreciated :)

So you don't have any problems with bursting tubes I take it?

nope.

I have patched loads of tubes, and they hold for like forever. I just carry new tubes for races, old tubes for training rides.

the pressure is contained within the tyre so no issues there.

nope.

I have patched loads of tubes, and they hold for like forever. I just carry new tubes for races, old tubes for training rides.

the pressure is contained within the tyre so no issues there.

+1

thanks guys for the quick response...much appreciated :)

So you don't have any problems with bursting tubes I take it?

if i am on sunday ride with my wife or buds i do patch, when in a race i dont but i do take my old tube with me not like some cyclist

Unless in an emergency I never patch tubes. When I was still studying I always said it was something for the poor.

Sometimes I like being decadent :rolleyes:

oh let me clarify - i patch my tubes at home, not during a ride :blush:

I have some of those glueless patches. They work fine and is quicker than swopping a tube during a ride. They also last well, although I have read that sometimes they come loose after a while.

I haven't punctured in 2 years.

Gatorskins @ max pressure. (Road)

UST (MTB)

Your time will come!!!!!!! and when it rains.. it pours.....

+1. I only chuck tubes when there's more patch than tube visible. I've put patches on patches before...

That is no maybe. I don't have R30 for a new tube everytime I get a puncture. It's cost something liek R1.20 for a good patch (yes you do get good and bad ones) and some solution.

Don't just toss the tubes away. You can still use them for other things like a chain stay wrap for the MTB or cut it into rings to make elastic bands. I have even made an longish piece with a hole at each end and it wraps around my bar and grips around the front and back of my front flashing light to stop it from rattling. You can use pieces underneath bracket to protect your frame, posts and stems. Or put a piece under your computer pick-up on your fork. Or you can keep it as a long open piece (without the valve) and wrap it around your frame where the bike carrier clamps the frame.