2012 XT

AndreZA

Perhaps your shifters had arthritis.

Like my gran - she can tell when its going to rain by how sore he knee is.

hahahahahaha :clap:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally love XT but i now need a bb30 crank for a frame and would love to use a crank without the adaptor so it looks like SRAM is the way ill have to go

Personal choice. The same way I can not getting a liking in Megan Fox.

From everything I have read and some serious MTB'ers that have been in the game for many years, they all say that you can compare Shimano components up and till XT with SRAM up and Til X9, the differences between these ranges they say are minimal. Except obviously the 2:1 and 1:1 ratios used respectivly.

However they all agree that XTR in general is useless compared to X0 and XX.

Not my opinion thats just what the genearl concensus out there seems to be.

Prefer the look of the SL K one better

My bike unfortunately has an adapter with an Ultegra crank. I would love an FSA BB30 SLK Light but it is just sooooo much cash to spend

Interesting... I had full XO & Avid brakes on my previous bike for just over a year and on my new steed I have a combo of XT & XTR which I rate as superior in every aspect. I guess it just comes down to personal experience. PS: I buy everything from Chris Jnr at CWC so customer service is equally great for SRAM and Shimano.

This was not a LBS issue! It was shimano only supplying the fd to my LBS 3 months later

• 2 months later...

Perhaps your shifters had arthritis.

Like my gran - she can tell when its going to rain by how sore he knee is.

Kwaaaawhwahahhahaha!!!!

classic!!!

You okes can gaan on about the looks and sensitivity to rain and warra warra.

Shimano has got this one right from a technical point of view. Try and bleed a set of Elixir brakes and then do the same on XTR and now XT - chalk and cheese.

With the Shimano brakes they've redesigned the bleed path and bubbles have nowhere to hide anymore. One simple bleed with the other hand on the phone and the other on your lunch sarmie, and the job's done.

With Elixir or Juicy for that matter, they went out of their way to create cavities and labyrinths for the bubbles to hide behind. Several bleeds and test rides and waiting periods and re-bleeds and you're done.

Not to mention the ghastly Dot fluid you have to work with.

Shimano all the way.

JB: seems Avid consulted their glassball and saw that in the future you'd finger them for bad design. So, a few weeks (or months) ago, they announced their new avid elixir setup that eliminates bubble hogging design and moves the bleed port to a more phone and sarmie double shock combo friendly location.

Well I have 3 MTB bikes. 2 have full XT...... and one with SRAM X7 which has given me less fidling and more consistent shifting in the worst mud & gunk. Non stop rerliable shifting gives SRAM the thumbs up. Johan you have a point on the bleeding. I curse the Elixrs and especialy the old Juicy 3 (SRAM family). What a k*k design. Even pad changing the brake pads with that stupid clips and fidling..keep away. Rather use XT or mguira, much simpler to maintain and bleed. Changing pads on the maguira..what a pleasure.

But for deraileurs when it comes to maintenance free non stop reliable shifting in ugly demanding conditions SRAM every time.

My unbiased opinion. If you want to do road riding..Shimano is my choice. 105 are soft quiete shifting, Ultegra is crsip, fast and precise. No experience with SRAM road components.

Admitedly the new XT...looks great but can it continue shifting properly in the worst mud and gunk? Well time will tel if it can beat SRAM.For now I will stick to SRAM for offroad shifting til XT proves itself in tough mud and offroad gunk(not just dry dirt road riding)

You okes can gaan on about the looks and sensitivity to rain and warra warra.

Shimano has got this one right from a technical point of view. Try and bleed a set of Elixir brakes and then do the same on XTR and now XT - chalk and cheese.

With the Shimano brakes they've redesigned the bleed path and bubbles have nowhere to hide anymore. One simple bleed with the other hand on the phone and the other on your lunch sarmie, and the job's done.

With Elixir or Juicy for that matter, they went out of their way to create cavities and labyrinths for the bubbles to hide behind. Several bleeds and test rides and waiting periods and re-bleeds and you're done.

Not to mention the ghastly Dot fluid you have to work with.

Shimano all the way.

that's why i am waiting for new XT brakes.I am tired of the hassles i have with the Juicy brakes.

Talking of XTR 2011 brakes. I've been using them since they became available here (early 2011), replaced my Elixr CR's with them and have only 2 complaints so far:

1. After long (anything longer than a few seconds) of uninterrupted brake lever application there is a scraping sound from each caliper which lasts for about 30 seconds AFTER releasing the brake levers. The brakes did this from the beginning.

2. The pad spacer block to prevent the pistons coming out to far when the wheel is removed are a bit finiky to install correctly, compared to Avids anyway....