I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

Time lapse map of every nuclear explosion ever on Earth

Japanese artist Isao Hashimoto has created a beautiful, undeniably scary time-lapse map of the 2053 nuclear explosions which have taken place between 1945 and 1998, beginning with the Manhattan Project’s “Trinity” test near Los Alamos and concluding with Pakistan’s nuclear tests in May of 1998. This leaves out North Korea’s two alleged nuclear tests in this past decade (the legitimacy of both of which is not 100% clear).

Each nation gets a blip and a flashing dot on the map whenever they detonate a nuclear weapon, with a running tally kept on the top and bottom bars of the screen. Hashimoto, who began the project in 2003, says that he created it with the goal of showing”the fear and folly of nuclear weapons.” It starts really slow — if you want to see real action, skip ahead to 1962 or so — but the buildup becomes overwhelming.

Who needs a nuclear war? Everyone seems happy enough to blow themselves up - except for the French who seem to blow up islands in the Pacific and the poms who have bombed the hell out Australia...

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

At about 1:55 there are several dots off the SA coast, was that RSA?

Some if you in the know, might be aware of the rumour mongering that RSA "may" have tested a nuclear device with an underground explosion in the vicinity of black rock mines, near Potmasberg. The discovery of interesting ore there ..... and of course it was a previous government owned facility. :whistling: :blink:

EDIT: I also see several in north Africa, who did they belong to ?

watched the whole thing through, twas the French in North Africa (typical) and the USA off our coast - and I will bet RSA had nothing to do with it.

watched the whole thing through, twas the French in North Africa (typical) and the USA off our coast - and I will bet RSA had nothing to do with it.

they though that SA had a combined test with Israel back in the day - late 70's but since after releasing all the documentation post '94 it does not look like SA ever tested - but you can never really believe that as they may have destroyed documents

Who needs a nuclear war? Everyone seems happy enough to blow themselves up - except for the French who seem to blow up islands in the Pacific and the poms who have bombed the hell out Australia...

2000+ tests and no Xmen. Just goes to show how little effect on a global level, nuclear power has.

Just build massive nuke reactors out in the desert, run power lines to the city and stop burning fossil fuels. Take the waste, load it in a rocket and send it into the sun.

2000+ tests and no Xmen. Just goes to show how little effect on a global level, nuclear power has.

Just build massive nuke reactors out in the desert, run power lines to the city and stop burning fossil fuels. Take the waste, load it in a rocket and send it into the sun.

I wonder if that would in any way affect the Sun's polarity…

Intergalactic storms on the way as sun does a flip: Magnetic field change could interfere with satellites and cause radio blackouts

•  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2509068/Intergalactic-storms-way-sun-does-flip-Magnetic-field-change-interfere-satellites-cause-radio-blackouts.html#ixzz2kyuOyGm1

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/original-1964-porsche-911-and-the-type-991-2013-porsche-911-carrera-4s_100417986_l.jpg

Out in the desert, RIGHT!!!

You do know that you need plenty of water to keep nuclear reactors cooled down, hence the reason they are usually built next to big bodies of water...

Dunno hey. There is a business in diving out the driveshafts of the German fleet scuttled at Scapa Flow at the end of WW1. The reason being that they were cast prior to the nuclear bombs being detonated in 1945. If you need low radio activity steel (apparently used in medical equipement) you're poked if you can't find steel cast post 1945.

Maybe no X-men yet, but likelihood is that we're on our way.

It's all cumulative, and events like Fukushima can't be helping...

Edited by davetapson