I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

100 bazillion percent. It's pretty easy to remember - Port / Starboard = PS. left hand side of the boat is Port right is Starboard. Oracle had the right to call Starboard as they were on starboard tack (manning the starboard side of the boat) or an easier way - the wind is coming from starboard.

It gets far more complicated than that on racing though.

I have used the starboard run trick to good effect in club racing.  You start the run of the port tack and just when you are almost on the lead boat you gybe point at the other boat and shout "Starboard water"  the other boat then has just 10 secs to gybe or get out of the way.  Normally resulting in a capsize for the other team.....  Team and match racing is a sport for real bastards. 

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Skip, give me 5, I just need to change my unda-rods quick !

http://i.imgur.com/hXgg7I6.gif

You should put that on the shaving thread.

Call me a woos, but I can't say I'm a fan of spiders

even the music in that clip gave me the heebie geebies... 

attachicon.giftry.jpg

This must be one of the things that leaves me most frustrated in my life!

Went for a run yesterday - at the 4km mark I had this thought (I'm unfit OK!?)

Then I remembered what "the German" (the hub's, not Diwani's) told me once after I was struggling to keep up with them on Giba...

"look just above your right wrist! What does it say?"

"H.T.F.U"

"Now shut up..."

So much of awesome

http://i.imgur.com/Z0TII8i.gif

My mate has a dog, Dingo, who regularly does the petrol tank ride. Just showed this to Mike, and he's gonna see if Dingo will do the same...

post-1604-0-22264500-1413787848_thumb.jpg

post-1604-0-44829000-1413787852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tumbleweed

Skip, give me 5, I just need to change my unda-rods quick !

http://i.imgur.com/hXgg7I6.gif

spithill almost threw one of his bowman off the boat with this maneauver. A bit over the top since the umpires have access to the ridiculously accurate live tracking, and since the penalty is not a 360' turn but you need to slow down till 2 boatlengths behind. which is pretty much what happened once ETNZ flybed onto starboard. so ja, hollywood stunt and look here it's a gif on a cycling forum a year later.

these boats are amazing, trickle down to us ordinary guys is taking a while but it's happening on a lot of little projects around the world.

so, whilst on the subject, who knows about those 7 boats on their way to Le Cap right now?