I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

Hectic, super lucky when you see how many people are killed every year!

On a slight tangent there is actually a real time lightning tracker website

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;

That is a cool website.

Germans in general does not seem to be bothered about lightning too much.  Our first school sporting event with our daughters had a thunderstorm the afternoon.  As the lighting came up the people were not phased about it moving over the sports fields without worrying.  I just told my daughters to stay under the pavilion regardless what the teachers say.

One guy who sometimes commuted with me here in Germany went to the Drakensberg for his honeymoon.  He spent most of it in hospital as he got hit by lightning in the Berg.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a cool website.

Germans in general does not seem to be bothered about lightning too much.  Our first school sporting event with our daughters had a thunderstorm the afternoon.  As the lighting came up the people were not phased about it moving over the sports fields without worrying.  I just told my daughters to stay under the pavilion regardless what the teachers say.

One guy who sometimes commuted with me here in Germany went to the Drakensberg for his honeymoon.  He spent most of it in hospital as he got hit by lightning in the Berg.

most people that have not lived on the South African highveld dont really know the dangers.

That is a cool website.

Record in my farming days was 6 cattle killed in one strike, all sheltering under the same tree. Staff were so superstitious about it that they wouldn't touch, let alone eat the (visually unharmed) dead animals. Had to dig a trench and get them in mechanically to bury. 

Zim has major lightning fatality issues and some of the research showed the highest strike incidence places were often slightly radioactive granites, the ionization was sufficient to make them super susceptible, add a village and things get ugly.

Hectic, super lucky when you see how many people are killed every year!

On a slight tangent there is actually a real time lightning tracker website

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;

we have weatherbug app on android which has a lighting warning section, which also gives you a live lighting map. my wife is a teacher in so they need a reliable lighting warning system and this is what they use.

we have weatherbug app on android which has a lighting warning section, which also gives you a live lighting map. my wife is a teacher in so they need a reliable lighting warning system and this is what they use.

how accurate do you find the app ?

I don't think your allowed to use children like that  :whistling:

Howick Preperatory School in KZN has a lightning detection system they employ for safe sports.

You should speak to them if you're truly interested in something that works. They have 40km sensitivity on their system. Works perfect from my experiences driving there for sport only to have the siren wailing and having to head home again

never had a issue with false reporting.. very good infact

Howick Preperatory School in KZN has a lightning detection system they employ for safe sports.

You should speak to them if you're truly interested in something that works. They have 40km sensitivity on their system. Works perfect from my experiences driving there for sport only to have the siren wailing and having to head home again

My wife's school had a system like that, kept going on the fritz, gave false warnings when it worked, etc. they moved over to the app

The biggest thunderstorm I ever experienced was at Umhloti beach north of Durban.  A storm moved from the south along the coast to Richardsbay.  That night I could look at the ships parked a couple of kilometers into the sea like it was daylight.  It was just the one ligthning strike after the other.  Two boys got killed that night by lightning just outside Umhloti

Oooooh, storms... Love them & respect the hell out of them. Hardly anything more wonderful to behold than a Drakensberg or Highveld storm. The smell, the charge in the air, the serenity amidst the ferocity. 

But, I've had the harrowing experience of seeing ball lightning in real life, up close, with my old man at home in New Germany, KZN. It was long ago, but damn. Never again, thanks. 

'Closest' I've experienced was sitting in a tent at about 5950m on Aconcagua when a storm moved in quickly. Talk about the smell in the air and the charge. Had a couple of Italian climbers not far away screaming their heads off, first time they experienced lightning.

Needless to say - no sleep that night and had to dig out of the tent in the morning after a significant amount of snow fell.

I can confirm it works well.

'Closest' I've experienced was sitting in a tent at about 5950m on Aconcagua when a storm moved in quickly. Talk about the smell in the air and the charge. Had a couple of Italian climbers not far away screaming their heads off, first time they experienced lightning.

Needless to say - no sleep that night and had to dig out of the tent in the morning after a significant amount of snow fell.

Closest I have experienced was about 25-30 meters.  Ligthing struck a palm tree in our garden at 3.00 am in the morning oh and then the lapa burnt down.  Still had to do a system demo to the defence force and my eyes could not focus properly on anything as there was still ash in my eyes.

That is a cool website.

The Berg is notorious for serious storms in summer.As a rule we generally did not do the high berg in summer and rather kept to the kloofs like Didema Gorge.Winter is the time for the high berg

Use these in drilling and construction and work well, sites get shut as storms approach.

https://skyscanusa.com/shop/