• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Would be interesting to know if the ransom was part of getting the bicycle back.

sorry article paywalled - no the ransom is to be donated to charity if at all

The wheel has turned and the three-speed bicycle swiped  from nonagenarian Neville Vimpany last week has been found.

The bike was spotted by a sharp-eyed and caring citizen on Monday and, after a few more twists and turns, Walmer police were able to phone Vimpany’s family with the good news.

Walmer Heights resident Vimpany, 93, said on Tuesday he was overjoyed.

“It’s fantastic. It tells me there are some honest and vigilant people out there.

“I’m very grateful to the person who found it and to The Herald for getting my story out there.”

Vimpany had ridden his bicycle to an auto-bank near Builder’s Warehouse in 17th Avenue, Walmer, on Wednesday last week.

When he turned around after using the ATM, his beloved Royal Enfield, given to him by his parents as a 21st birthday present when he was studying mechanical engineering at Durban University in 1950, was gone. 

He shared his anguish with The Herald, his son Richard posted the story on social media and the family offered a reward of R1,000 to R5,000.

Vimpany’s son, Chris, hailed an amazing end to a horrible incident.

“The key was there was so much traction on the story and it was so widely shared. 

“My dad’s bicycle was found by a complete stranger, and, with the help of others, it has now been returned to him.

“It renews one’s faith.”

Charles Tregoning said he was driving down Target Kloof on Monday afternoon when he saw a man on a bicycle turn into Lloyd Road.

“I thought I recognised the bike as the one that had been stolen from the guy I had read about, and so I turned around as soon as I could and met the cyclist coming up Lloyd Road.

“I stopped him and asked: ‘Is that your bicycle?’

“He said no. He knew it was the old man’s because he had read about his loss on Facebook.

“But he had bought it for R50 from another man. I was stunned.”

Tregoning then phoned Kurt Bruinders, vice-chair of the Greenshields Park Neighbourhood Watch.

“Kurt arrived and was able to get someone to resend us the photo of the bike, and we were able to see it was indeed the stolen item.

“Then I put it in the back of my bakkie and the chap who had been riding it got in with Kurt, and we drove up to the Walmer police station, after which I had to leave.”

Tregoning said he did not want the reward.

“It was just doing my civic duty.

“I was just glad to hear from Chris that his dad was so happy.

“If there is a reward, they must give it to Animal Welfare.

“I think we must just look after each other — our neighbours and our community.”

Bruinders said he hoped the story would inspire people who were despairing about crime.

“This was a very personal story where the bike was not worth a lot in monetary terms, but was of huge sentimental value, and there were a lot of eyes out there after [the story] was so widely shared.

“I think people are tired of being bullied by criminals.

“Hopefully this story will give them the courage to stand up and say enough is enough.”

Police spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu confirmed the bicycle had been recovered and the matter dealt with at the Walmer police station.

“The person was not arrested as further investigation is still continuing to ascertain the veracity of his statement that he bought it from a person in Central.”

This person found with the bike claimed that he was on the way to delivering it to the police station but in reality this photo was taken about 6 blocks from the police station and he was moving in the opposite direction.

bike.jpg.7832a429936b66d8842eeb0c5d10dbe3.jpg

On 2/9/2022 at 12:49 PM, Shebeen said:

On 2/9/2022 at 1:41 PM, justinafrika said:

double post

Edited by Robbie Stewart

The Rock Cobble race in Bakersfield, California saw this happening to a Tony Inderbitzin.  

"I’m sore all over, mostly the neck from the second throw, I got whiplashed. The list of what doesn’t hurt is my left arm and head.”  🤣

39 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

The Rock Cobble race in Bakersfield, California saw this happening to a Tony Inderbitzin.  

"I’m sore all over, mostly the neck from the second throw, I got whiplashed. The list of what doesn’t hurt is my left arm and head.”  🤣

He is lucky that is all he can complain about.

What sort of fall out is there from the incident?
Are the organisers to blame (I hope not) or was he being silly riding up to it like that ? (I think so).

4 hours ago, splat said:

He is lucky that is all he can complain about.

What sort of fall out is there from the incident?
Are the organisers to blame (I hope not) or was he being silly riding up to it like that ? (I think so).

I think since the bull was facing the other way as he approached he thought it was chilled.  There’s a massive grass verge outside my front wall with two urban herds at different times grazing if the gardener has missed a week or taken leave.  I’ve never felt threatened by the cows or huge bulls all those times when leaving or returning on bikes.   🤞

Edited by justinafrika