• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

I was chatting to an oke and we got talking bout the legendary Ford XR8. These were built in limited numbers by Ford ZA to race in production class racing in ZA and only 250 were built. I think for production car racing back in the day there had to be at least 200 built to qualify. I recall a Few years ago seeing an XR8 go for 105 000 pounds. 😢. So I thought let me check pricing of XR8s now. Couldn’t find any but found this one 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202409053695098?sort=price-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Ford&model=Sierra&postcode=GU50EH&price-to=500000&fromsra

quite unbelievable. 

the heyday of ZA racing was incredible. Whole days of motorcycle or car racing chilling at kyalami in the glorious sun. The long straight down to Leeukop ( iirc). Certainly good times. The GTV6 3.0 was also a car built specifically for ZA racing iirc. 

anyway, nostalgic Friday. 

16 minutes ago, Prince said:

Long straight from Leeukop down to Crowthorne. Good days!!

Ja. I had Leeukop and Crowthorne mixed up. We had such awesome days at the track. Used to leave home on Friday evening on our nifty 50s , watch the double feature at halfway house drive in then Kip at track. Glorious times. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

1 hour ago, IceCreamMan said:

I was chatting to an oke and we got talking bout the legendary Ford XR8. These were built in limited numbers by Ford ZA to race in production class racing in ZA and only 250 were built. I think for production car racing back in the day there had to be at least 200 built to qualify. I recall a Few years ago seeing an XR8 go for 105 000 pounds. 😢. So I thought let me check pricing of XR8s now. Couldn’t find any but found this one 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202409053695098?sort=price-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Ford&model=Sierra&postcode=GU50EH&price-to=500000&fromsra

quite unbelievable. 

the heyday of ZA racing was incredible. Whole days of motorcycle or car racing chilling at kyalami in the glorious sun. The long straight down to Leeukop ( iirc). Certainly good times. The GTV6 3.0 was also a car built specifically for ZA racing iirc. 

anyway, nostalgic Friday. 

those SA racing days also produced some legendary cars that are sought after world wide,

XR8 as mentioned (my dad nearly bought one, if it wasnt for the styling, landed up with the 3.0 GLX instead)

Superboss

325iS

GTV 6 3.0

and a bunch more, but all of these are fetching some crazy numbers when swapping hands right now, and many are landing up in europe.

Dad and I used to head there most racing weekends, skottle braai breakfast by the Wesbank grand stands, we'd leave the skottle there unattended until heading back down to make lunch. We'd mostly leave the track before all racing was finished in order to avoid the traffic on Allandale, but those days you could get home, turn on SABC 3 or 4 and continue watching every minute of every race live.

57 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Ja. I had Leeukop and Crowthorne mixed up. We had such awesome days at the track. Used to leave home on Friday evening on our nifty 50s , watch the double feature at halfway house drive in then Kip at track. Glorious times. 

Nifty 50. Now there's a term a haven't heard for a long time! I had a Yamaha RD 50. Loved that bike.

These Fords bring back memories. My uncle was co-owner of a Ford dealership in KWT in the 70/80/90's and my mother worked there as well. The one evening she came home in a Ford Cortina XR6 Interceptor sprayed in the iconic Gunston colours. I was a teenager and nearly spontaneously combusted in my jockey's 😲

Unfortunately it wasn't for sale, only a few were custom sprayed in that livery but the whole family got to go for a burn around the block in it. I can still recall the look on my old mans face when he stepped on the loud pedal 😄

Didn't even know pagers still existed. Thought we were past the 1980s. Are they back in fashion like Doc Martens, Rayban Wayfarers and, gods of fashon forbid, bellbottoms? Wonder under what rock I've lived? I suppose the same one where steel bikes hide.

30 minutes ago, DJR said:

Didn't even know pagers still existed. Thought we were past the 1980s. Are they back in fashion like Doc Martens, Rayban Wayfarers and, gods of fashon forbid, bellbottoms? Wonder under what rock I've lived? I suppose the same one where steel bikes hide.

Doc Martens always in fashion, always.